Author Topic: Cholera Is Killing us slowly but surely  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Cholera Is Killing us slowly but surely
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:42:48 AM »
Cholera has now spread to all the provinces. It is killing people daily. The hospitals are reporting to the Ministry of Health. Yet no action is being taken. There are robust laws that effectively turn the minister for health and the Director of Medical services in to bona fide dictators but these are not being used. Perhaps they need new laws that are mostly draconian because they have shown that they can't employ existing laws.

While small insignificant steps are being taken by Public Health officers across the country, the central government and the many tin-gods created by devolution are not bothered. What happened to quarantines? What happened to emergency water supplies? What happened to preventive medication?

Instead it has become fashion for small time government officers to issue roadside "banning orders" printed in newspapers with their photos beside just to show off. The hawkers do not read the papers and have no TVs to watch. They hardly tune in to radios and when they do, quickly move the dial when the boring word -"news" - is mentioned.

Cholera is going to spread and it is going to kill. It is killing the poor. However the day it kills a few VIPs or any of their spoilt brats, you will see some action - only it will be too late. What somebody thinks he is "protecting" by hiding the outbreak of cholera will suffer. What are we protecting really? Is it tourism?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Cholera Is Killing us slowly but surely
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Very true. I need to be careful where I eat.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »
It's a pretty deadly epidemic, often times overlooked.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 10:44:03 PM »
Pundit

My fear is that the response is not even slow. It is completely missing. I recall a cholera outbreak when I was in school. There was near martial law and citizens participated. It was eliminated in days. This started last year and has been spreading slowly. I had a map from the UN showing the spread but can't find it. It shows that is is covering a larger area every day.

Very true. I need to be careful where I eat.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:56:25 AM »
Here are the reports:

http://reliefweb.int/disaster/ep-2015-000013-ken

http://reliefweb.int/report/kenya/cholera-situation-report-kenya-5th-may-2015

Since 26th December 2014, Cholera outbreak has affected 7 counties: Nairobi, Migori, Homa Bay, Bomet, Mombasa, Nakuru and Muranga Counties.

Migori, Homabay and Bomet Cholera outbreaks are now considered successfully controlled

The outbreak first started in Nairobi County on 26th December 2014. Later the outbreak was reported in Migori County on 30th January 2015, Homa Bay County on 2nd February 2015, Bomet County on 12th March 2015, Mombasa County on 6th April 2015, Nakuru 8th April and Muranga county on 18th April 2015.

As of 5th May 2015, a total of 2156 cases and 42 deaths (CFR=1.9%) had been reported nationally distributed as follows: Nairobi 145 cases, 5 deaths (CFR 3.4%); Migori 915 cases, 12 deaths (CFR 1.3%); Homa Bay 377 cases, 5 deaths (CFR 1.4%) , Bomet 272 cases, 2 deaths (CFR 1.5%) ,Mombasa 69 cases, 5 deaths (CFR 7.2%), Muranga 278 cases, 1 death (0.4%), and Nakuru 100 cases, 12 deaths (CFR 12%)

Cumulatively, 274 new cases were reported in the last one week (164 in Muranga, 73 in Nakuru, 17 in Mombasa and 20 in Nairobi). This is an increase from the previous week where 35 new cases were reported. 6 new deaths were reported in the last one week (5 in Nakuru and 1 in Nairobi).

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:11:33 PM »
Thanks Veritas.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
NRB does not have a 100yr flood plan. They only respond when hit. They've built all over the flood plains, sewer drains, etc. Until the rains come. Most of South C is a flood plain area as far as I know. After the rains, cholera, malaria, and other diseases.

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
My people tell me their homes were flooded, yet there isn't any water dripping from the taps....how is that even possible. Should we also be worried about buildings collapsing since most are being build with questionable supplies?
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »
Cholera outbreaks are not particularly hard to avoid, and places like Kenya continue to have them only because (a) the will is not there to deal with the problem; and (b) there continue to be misplaced priorities that places things, e.g. infrastructure, above "human development" issues, such as basic health.   

Part of my growing up in Kenya included being "in the middle" of a few cholera outbreaks.   Comparing then and now, my observations are:

* no-change: not a great deal has been done to reduce the occurrence of these outbreaks; and

* change: when outbreaks occur, the government response is more cavalier than it used to be.

Until there are changes in "attitude", such outbreaks will be as "routine" as they have been for the last 40+ years.

Anyway, overall, cholera is relatively "small potatoes": consider the number of deaths that occur in these outbreaks with the about 20,000 that die each year as a result of diarrhea, which is also not particularly difficult to avoid.

Here are some figures from a report by Kenya's ministry of health:

* Approximately 19,500 Kenyans, including 17,100 children under the age of five years, die each year from diarrhoeaunless drastic action is taken.

* In addition to the health and nutrition effect, poor sanitation is expensive. Kenya loses an estimated KES 27 Billion (365 million USDyet eliminating the practice would require less than 1.2 million latrines to be built and used.

http://www.communityledtotalsanitation.org/sites/communityledtotalsanitation.org/files/media/DEH_Annual_Report_2012_2013.pdf

So, that's the government itself saying that drastic action is required and that the high cost of not shitting right could easily be eliminated.     But what the government ever actually does in a serious way---beyond formulating policies, making plans, and writing reports---is never clear and certainly does not correspond to the magnitude of the problem: even at the best of times, something like over one-third of Kenyans do not have access to clean drinking water and over one-half lack proper sanitation.  Consider the figures above: compared with the given cost ($365 million per year) of poor sanitation, how much does the government spend to eliminate the problem?   How much would it cost to build 1.2 million latrines?

Latrines and clean-water supplies are not very exciting things, and improvements in health that would occur with better access to clean water and sanitation are different from roads, buildings, and standard gauge railways: there is not much to point at excitedly with an "I see it with my own eyes!".  But they need to be done, and until that happens some aspects of Kenyan life will remain grim.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
You are a riot :):):)
50yrs still poor planning.

My people tell me their homes were flooded, yet there isn't any water dripping from the taps....how is that even possible. Should we also be worried about buildings collapsing since most are being build with questionable supplies?

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:37:50 PM »
Kipindupindu has reared its head in Kisumu.  What I don't understand.  Why does it show up certain times and not other times?  What causes an outbreak?
Two people have died and 24 others admitted to hospitals in Ahero, Kisumu County, following a cholera outbreak.

In the same area, 30 food kiosks have been closed to reduce the spread of the disease.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Two-die-as-cholera-hits-Kisumu/-/1056/2716524/-/6mm0bw/-/index.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 10:29:20 PM »
Why does it show up certain times and not other times?  What causes an outbreak?

Interesting question; I too had that in mind this morning.    It's hard to say for sure, but poking around the data can lead to some interesting conclusions.   Take a look at the graph here:   

http://www.who.int/cholera/countries/KenyaCountryProfile2010.pdf

and consider the state of the country during the "peak" periods.

Anyways ... looking at what (if anything) the government has learned since the last major outbreak (2009) leads to the conclusion that there is a learning-proof environment there.

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 03:11:08 PM »
Cholera is a viral disease. That means its hard to treat. Viral diseases usually show up with the cooling of the weather. Poor hygiene conditions is the accelerator, making it hard to control. Cholera was a major killer in developed countries before the invention of the sewer system.

Kipindupindu has reared its head in Kisumu.  What I don't understand.  Why does it show up certain times and not other times?  What causes an outbreak?
Two people have died and 24 others admitted to hospitals in Ahero, Kisumu County, following a cholera outbreak.

In the same area, 30 food kiosks have been closed to reduce the spread of the disease.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Two-die-as-cholera-hits-Kisumu/-/1056/2716524/-/6mm0bw/-/index.html

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
Most of Kenya is a slum. Poor sanitation conditions kills a lot of people. Poor govt at all levels. 5yrs later.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
Why does it show up certain times and not other times?  What causes an outbreak?

Interesting question; I too had that in mind this morning.    It's hard to say for sure, but poking around the data can lead to some interesting conclusions.   Take a look at the graph here:   

http://www.who.int/cholera/countries/KenyaCountryProfile2010.pdf

and consider the state of the country during the "peak" periods.

Anyways ... looking at what (if anything) the government has learned since the last major outbreak (2009) leads to the conclusion that there is a learning-proof environment there.

It appears to spike during periods of heightened political activities.  It spikes, as opposed to breaking out, because it is an ongoing epidemic.  In a learning-proof environment ha.

By the time cholera is a problem, the state of things sanitary is in the toilet.  It seems sanitary services go on extended vacation every 5 years.

If it is simple to eradicate, doing it does nothing for political mileage. 

Talking cholera and sanitation cannot cause excitement in OKOA Kenya or JAP like say the prospect of Obama shaking the hustler's hand.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 12:51:06 AM »
There are Oral vaccines that highly effective during outbreak. I am a proud recipient of a cholera vaccine
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
Correction :

Cholera is a bacterial disease ( Vibrio Cholerae ). Kills  by rapidly depleting your body of fluids and minerals. That's why rapid aggressive rehydration is the cornerstone of  treatment. Antibiotics can also be used.

Cholera out break is a public health emergency.

What we are seeing is the consequence of not investing in proper sanitation and clean water supply chain. Nairobi is a city of broken septic tanks littering all corners of the city . Open sewers all over. During rainy seasons , water contamination with sewage water is very high.

Malipo ni hapa hapa duniani.

Cholera is a viral disease. That means its hard to treat. Viral diseases usually show up with the cooling of the weather. Poor hygiene conditions is the accelerator, making it hard to control. Cholera was a major killer in developed countries before the invention of the sewer system.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:28 PM »
I went to visit a friend in Ruai. Beautiful 4 bed maisonette . 3 lovely children all under 8 yrs old. Well nourished wife . Chubby house help. Following recent heavy rains . His septic tank got flooded . This spilled all over in the compound and into the house. This problem  was compounded by more sewage water from the neighboring houses filling into his compound. I could't stay long . I left very fast.

I told him to take those kids to a safe place until things improve.