Author Topic: Floods Aftremath- Recovery/Rebuilding after such disasters  (Read 235 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Floods Aftremath- Recovery/Rebuilding after such disasters
« on: April 30, 2024, 01:02:53 PM »
Have always sought to understand how mwafrika recovers and rebuilds their lives after disasters.

Red Cross seem to be scratching the surface and has contextual experience but taking the shine from political leaders, County Commissioners seems to be the main hindrance.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Floods Aftremath- Recovery/Rebuilding after such disasters
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 02:37:25 PM »
Have always sought to understand how mwafrika recovers and rebuilds their lives after disasters.

Red Cross seem to be scratching the surface and has contextual experience but taking the shine from political leaders, County Commissioners seems to be the main hindrance.

Are they ever prepared for any emergency? I think they wait till it happens then prepare. Most of Narok is built ona flood zone and they continue to allow permant buildings on the flood zone. Why didnt they close Mai Mahiu rd as soon as the rains started?

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 06:07:19 PM »
Emergency preparation are just words even in developed world. There is a reason they are emergencies and disasters. How do you prepare for floods, tsunamis?
Some year back it was Narok and Solai, now it is Mai Mahiu.

Are they ever prepared for any emergency? I think they wait till it happens then prepare. Most of Narok is built ona flood zone and they continue to allow permant buildings on the flood zone. Why didnt they close Mai Mahiu rd as soon as the rains started?

I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 06:17:55 PM »
Emergency preparation are just words even in developed world. There is a reason they are emergencies and disasters. How do you prepare for floods, tsunamis?
Some year back it was Narok and Solai, now it is Mai Mahiu.

I know it because I was involved in it  at the county level in NYC. There are a lot of policies and procedure in place in case of ABC. Paid and unpaid staff dont suddenly show up. They are in place for many years, only waiting.
As far as I know the whole of Narok town is a flood zone. Rains from the mountains can come down at any moment even when there is no rain in Narok itself.