Author Topic: Learn from other countries failures on GMO, Africa warned  (Read 3499 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Learn from other countries failures on GMO, Africa warned
« on: October 29, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/health/article/2000139484/learn-from-other-countries-failures-on-gmo-africa-warned?pageNo=1

Offline Mr Mansfield.

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
Re: Learn from other countries failures on GMO, Africa warned
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
We should not mortgage our food and seed sovereignty to the likes of Monsanto and dupont,

Without Prejudice.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
When WSR was minister for agriculture, he really sounded pro GMO. I do not know exactly the current stand of jubilee on this matter.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »
I am pro GMO. We need to cautiously introduce GMOS first in non-food like cotton,sisal and trees.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:10:58 PM »
I am pro GMO. We need to cautiously introduce GMOS first in non-food like cotton,sisal and trees.

Pundit,

I think our agriculture is not failing because we have failed to adopt GMOs (see cotton, sugar and recently tea sectors). It's the government that has intentionally been sabotaging these industries through corruption.

I also don't think it's a good thing to adopt proprietary technology as mainstream food. There has to be some local research on this issue that is not funded by monsanto, bayer et al.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
I think KARI, KEFRI, Tea research, coffee research,ILRI and name them can come up with our own GMOS..we have been producing seeds using biotechnology.
Pundit,

I think our agriculture is not failing because we have failed to adopt GMOs (see cotton, sugar and recently tea sectors). It's the government that has intentionally been sabotaging these industries through corruption.

I also don't think it's a good thing to adopt proprietary technology as mainstream food. There has to be some local research on this issue that is not funded by monsanto, bayer et al.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Correct, RVtitem.   We can see examples of Asian countries that produced an "agricultural revolution" well before all this GM stuff became big news, and it would be a big mistake to hand over our eating to the likes of Monsanto.   Relative to the growing population, the food situation in Africa is actually pretty bad: e.g. some UN statistics I look at last year, show that per capita food production since around 1970 has been decreasing at a rate of around 1% per year.    We should expect more starving food and more of the usual begging in the coming years.

Apart from the failures that arise from corruption, another failure has been a re-think of systems that we were pushed into by colonialists, e.g. the use of our best land to produce cash crops (without a lot of "value-added") before we can even feed ourselves.    Another has been laziness and irresponsibility at the top, the so-called leaders: we have developed a habit of relying on handouts instead of doing for ourselves.  Even in Kenya, it is interesting to note that while Jubilee was busy abusing the West over the ICC, the EU was helping stave of mass-starvation in places like Baringo (of all places!).   And few Kenyans know that the guarantee for their food security is now in Washington, DC: GoK finally managed to convince the USA government that Kenya should be included in Obama's FEED THE FUTURE program, and so American bureaucrats are busy trying to figure out how Kenyans can keep eating.  Meanwhile back in Kenya, it is all about political kelelele and a different kind of eating.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.