Author Topic: Maybe Mkopa Solar can become competitor to useless Kenya Power  (Read 5118 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Maybe Mkopa Solar can become competitor to useless Kenya Power
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
M-kopa is making 10,000 thro M-pesa daily...second only to KPLC..who are making 135,000 per day.

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Solar-lamp-top-ups-on-M-Pesa/-/539550/2439114/-/xxyyxxz/-/index.html

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Maybe Mkopa Solar can become competitor to useless Kenya Power
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
This is an excellent idea...
I wish I had thought of that. A KPLC competition is good. Those pple give each other zillions of contracts and then they send us a bill. The only beneficiaries are contractors.
How much do you get?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
I am not good in sarcasm. Can you come up again? I think this is a good deal for all the involved. M-Kopa solar kit cost 200USD dollars. You pay about 30 dollars and get it....and then daily you pay less..than what you would pay to buy Kerosene or charge your phone. After 2 yrs...you are done paying...and you have a solar kit.  M-pesa make this payment possible and hassle free. And this is innovation that is taking advantage of that.

M-Kopa can compete or suplement KPLC..because it simply doesn't make economic sense to give power to rural power...in my village nearly everyone who has power..pay the standing fee..120shs..they barely use power...and when they use...btw 7-9pm every night...all of them switch on...KPLC has to deploy emergency generators in Kipsitet Kericho...otherwise they will blow up the transformers.

Now negro..what exactly is eating you regarding this deal....

This is an excellent idea...
I wish I had thought of that. A KPLC competition is good. Those pple give each other zillions of contracts and then they send us a bill. The only beneficiaries are contractors.
How much do you get?

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
I said its a great deal. KPLC doesn't guarantee power, but this does.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:13:26 PM »
I hope they keep re-engineering their kit. I personally tried installing solar as power back but my batteries have gone kaput. And during the last few months..sunlight in nairobi was patchy.
If M-Kopa have regular customers
I said its a great deal. KPLC doesn't guarantee power, but this does.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
They need to give grt batteries not ya pesa nane, otherwise people will shy away.

Offline anarchista

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
Last time I look at M-Solar, you had to pay about 6000 to get the kit and pay off the balance against your usage.

Given that it is targeted at the rural poor, how are you going to convince someone who's monthly bill is 120/- to pay this? His annual bill is less than 1500!

Secondly, the unit is only able to power up a light bulb at 40w and maybe charge a phone and this is under optimal conditions.

Finally installation/ security has not been adequately addressed.

The principle is sound but it simply is not workable. These guys call their system proprietary and have slapped a huge markup on the product. Its not shifting- much like the charcoal jiko that costs 3/4 k.

This is one area where government policy needs to get in touch with reality. Zero rate solar panels, lithium batteries and inverters. Within one year it will cost under 50k to cover your entire roof with panels- which is what you need if you're serious about going solar.

But Gok will never canibalize KPLC sales. Where else can you 'buy' a transformer and yet not own the damn thing??
Sins of the father... . . blood from the son

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
I thought you only pay until you fully own it. But yes you have good ideas however i think people do not want to learn all the complication about solar charges, inverters, batteries and name it. They just want a kit that works. For most rural people..they just need power for 2hrs...btw 7pm and 9pm..the optimal would be power enough to watch a small tv and listen to radio for 2hrs.

KPLC doesn't need that customers. It not economically viable customers for a grid solution. So gov need to support M-Kopa by injecting capital in such start ups...to come up with better kit. KPLC can concentrate on middle class family with a fridge, a computer, big tv, home theatres, hot water,cooking, and all the gadgets that really consume power...enough at least to pay 1-5K per month.

Last time I look at M-Solar, you had to pay about 6000 to get the kit and pay off the balance against your usage.

Given that it is targeted at the rural poor, how are you going to convince someone who's monthly bill is 120/- to pay this? His annual bill is less than 1500!

Secondly, the unit is only able to power up a light bulb at 40w and maybe charge a phone and this is under optimal conditions.

Finally installation/ security has not been adequately addressed.

The principle is sound but it simply is not workable. These guys call their system proprietary and have slapped a huge markup on the product. Its not shifting- much like the charcoal jiko that costs 3/4 k.

This is one area where government policy needs to get in touch with reality. Zero rate solar panels, lithium batteries and inverters. Within one year it will cost under 50k to cover your entire roof with panels- which is what you need if you're serious about going solar.

But Gok will never canibalize KPLC sales. Where else can you 'buy' a transformer and yet not own the damn thing??

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
How much does a watt of KPLC electric cost?
Am sure its more than 50shs