Author Topic: 1982 coup. I was in 2nd grade  (Read 1983 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
1982 coup. I was in 2nd grade
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:21:54 AM »
At around six pm. 12 helicopters over flew my home. We knew something was off. My family radio had been damaged. We had broken the dial wire. So come Sunday morning we all went to church. Kids first for Sunday school. No one came to the Sunday school but my family. We left at 10 am and on our way home our surprised village mates asked why we were out during a coup. We ran home and got this info to our surprised parents. My mum managed to get a tech to fix our radio and that afternoon we heard a crying son of a bitch moi sobbing like a baby during circumcision or teething

Hehe what was to unfold on monday was my dad getting to nairobi and getting flogged by soldiers and turned around to go home, HE told us of bodies on the streets, His buruburu house had been looted bare

Moi got support of Okuyus midrocrass they wanted the good times to resume and those trouble some army morons hanged

So ochuka hanged and we went back to Nyayo

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: 1982 coup. I was in 2nd grade
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
I wasn't born --opps at least a year old. The first time I heard of 82 coup I was in high school. Our principal was ex-82 airforce, had been fired with entire airforce crew, and he gone back to school, and became a teacher. The man run the school like a military camp.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 02:52:38 PM »
I wasn't born --opps at least a year old. The first time I heard of 82 coup I was in high school. Our principal was ex-82 airforce, had been fired with entire airforce crew, and he gone back to school, and became a teacher. The man run the school like a military camp.

My Margoli cousin was to come home with bruises later. He was in uon..and had gone to the city to celebrate and loot

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »

You did K.C.S.E. In 1999 why did you opt for Computer Studies instead of Engineering or Lets say Medicine . Then even an A Minus could land you in medicine .

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »
Nope I did KCSE 98. What is wrong computer science? You sound as old school as my dad. My father had insisted I choose medicine/pharmacy/engineering -I basically could qualify for nearly anything - because apart from Engish and Kiswahili- I had A plains in everything else. I was natural maths and science - but I wanted to be a lawyer - I was so political and use to read tonnes of newspapers and loved history. My neighbour and older friend had gone to UON to study law - and ever since I heard UON students shouting Moi must go! in 1992 or about! I had resolved to go to UON and study law. Anyway after KCSE - I went to see my uncle - to advise me on the courses - he told me my English meant I couldn't do law - I had to decide btw medicine and engineering - I found Biology and Chemistry to be SO EASY - I use to score almost 95% in each- i thought I'd get bored with medicine or pharmacy - and I also hated blood. I was pretty maths genius - but I found physics to be challenging..mostly because I was expelled to a school - with a physcis teacher who run his posho mill - and had not covered form 3 syallabus in form 4 - I had to make a hard decision and dropped history - simply told the new rural school - I was doing 8 subjects - history/cre was my favourite - because it worked well with my photographic memory - but I had to decide - to spend time to self-teach physics- so it went. Anyway back to high school - we hit mock exams - and the idiot teacher see the exams - and cross out many questions - don't do question 5, 7, 10...nearly half the paper. I had done my syllabus on my own - and I did all questions - and he couldn't believe it - neither could he believe how I scored A in kcse- because he had tried to help us with lab work in exam but just couldn't figure it :) -

Now why did I choose computer science  - in my rural high school they my nicknamed was 'computer' - this was thanks to my maths or academic skills -  the head teacher had announced the school had acquired a computer - "me". Form 4 tuko na computer. And the name stuck. Also while in previous school - we had current ICT Authority Director Paul Rono  - come to teach us basic computer - from old computer donated by some Dr Maritim - that Paul Rono had left an imprisoned on me  he had told us to go study either computer science or actuarial science!. They were first graduate of computer science and physics at UON in 1997 - there was no computer science degree then

So at back of my mind - reading from news - I read newspapers daily - I knew computer science was new degree - Bill Gates was richest man - the world was moving to computer - and computer science had something to do with maths. So I was half decided - I hated engineering - I couldn't stand medicine.

So long story short - my father left me at UON JAMB to do course selection as he took my brother to Mombasa polythenic - and before he left - we met this other neighbour - had gone to USIU - first graduates of USIU - new university - studied Business and IT - he had told me to study computer science - that by 2nd year I would have a job - and that computer science graduates were in such demand.

Decision made - I put computer science - UON!!

When letter from Nairobi came - my father was so livid!!

My sister was studying computer applications packages in Kericho then...he told me why would I waste my brains in COMPUTERs...why not just go to kericho and learn.

He told me there was no way I would go to computer science...so we would go to Prof Lessan - then UON dentist lecturer - and have courses changed. I told him fine.But the more we waited - the more he started to read about computer science. My father use to read and underline newspaper artilces he liked with red pen.

So one day he gave me a newspaper article...50,000 computer scientists required in Germany :) :)

And he lost the battle...

At UON - computer science and actuarial science were new things - for A or A- minus students who didn't want to study medicine or engineering.

And true to the neighbour advice by 3rd year I was earning 30K :) a lot of money in 2002 :)!!!!!!!!!!!! Before graduation - it had been doubled to 80K :) and I bouight mavoko plot and started to build :) - mavoko time.
You did K.C.S.E. In 1999 why did you opt for Computer Studies instead of Engineering or Lets say Medicine . Then even an A Minus could land you in medicine .

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »

My Margoli cousin was to come home with bruises later. He was in uon..and had gone to the city to celebrate and loot

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 11:17:23 PM »