Author Topic: Childless by Choice!  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
Childless by Choice!
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
I don't want to have children."

This kind of statement, especially coming from a woman, prompts total disbelief.

It's an enigma, Un-African, a sign of being selfish and a sociopath. "You will change your mind," is what Annah Rikadi, 37, is told often. Annah is adamant that she likes to take care of children from afar and has no biological wish to sire her own.

https://nation.africa/kenya/life-and-style/saturday-magazine/childless-by-choice--1937022

Encouraging voices. Needs to be amplified.

Anti Natalism needs a big push in Africa. The continent's woes primarily stem from a population explosion.

Kenya's population should optimally be less than 5 million.

I don't know how these breeders do it, childbirth and child rearing interferes with your life so much. My parents always remind us of the sacrifices they had to make in raising us, you can sense their bitterness at missing out on the best part of their lives raising us, we were model kids, never gave our parents stress. Imagine those with wayward kids. They can drive some parents insane.

Life is a ponzi scheme. Save yourself the trouble, don't breed.

Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Childless by Choice!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
I disagree on the optimal - 5m. That is pure BS. China has 1.4B people and can support them. Don't underrate human abilities.
I agree on you having the choice - to get kids or not.
If the reason is so you enjoy life - remember at certain age - roles reverse.
Right now you're taking care of your parents.
Remember as you age - you'd wish you had kids or grandkids.

We are just about to have our 3rd kid - yes kids are risky enterprises- but so is life in general
You start worrying from day one - will they come out disabled, will they walk, will they talk, will they go to school, will they be stupid, etc etc.
But they bring a lot of joy.
It's not really hardwork if you're in Africa - child care is cheaper - with all cheap labour.

But abroad it's take SERIOUS commitment - because labour is so damn expensive - you'll most likely have to quit your job and do it yourself.
At least for first few years.

Humans are intelligent and walk in twos - the only animal to do that - and it came with lots of complication - including giving birth to  immature kids that takes years to raise and nurture.

Most animals arrive from the womb ready to run.

Offline Njuri Ncheke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

This kind of statement, especially coming from a woman, prompts total disbelief.

It's an enigma, Un-African, a sign of being selfish and a sociopath. "You will change your mind," is what Annah Rikadi, 37, is told often. Annah is adamant that she likes to take care of children from afar and has no biological wish to sire her own.

https://nation.africa/kenya/life-and-style/saturday-magazine/childless-by-choice--1937022

Anti Natalism needs a big push in Africa. The continent's woes primarily stem from a population explosion.

I don't know how these breeders do it, childbirth and child rearing interferes with your life so much. My parents always remind us of the sacrifices they had to make in raising us, you can sense their bitterness at missing out on the best part of their lives raising us, we were model kids, never gave our parents stress. Imagine those with wayward kids. They can drive some parents insane.

You are back again, just tell us all the money you have will go to charity, furthermore who will organize your burial come then?

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
You are back again, just tell us all the money you have will go to charity, furthermore who will organize your burial come then?

Don't tell me you haven't pondered the meaning of existence and life?

My money goes to helping the less fortunate, family members and strangers.

I don't care for funerals after I'm dead.

Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 06:31:22 PM »

I think the jury is still out on population and development.  With the exception of the US, Canada, Australia - relatively new countries - most of the developed world is densely populated.  Which came first?  Population or development?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 07:40:45 PM »
It actually not that complicated. HABITAT.

Superimpose the climatic conditions on population density and you'll see it clearly. Climate that support lots of population - I am talking green fertile - generally became populated. You can start from Europe, Asia (India-China-Indonesias) and then Brazil-South America. In Africa - you can go to Nigeria and the likes.

Countries that are dry and arid - like Sahara desert - Arabian desert - large parts of North American - cannot sustain large human population - and are less populated.

Now that historical basis.

Fast forward now. URBANIZATION thanks to Industrilization. COASTAL CITIES account for 80-90% of human population. If the sea was to momentarily flood - it would wipe out huge percentage of human population.

With industrialization and human advancement - cities along the coastline thrived - thanks to international trade. Now most countries have large empty swatch of rural land - with declining population  as more and more people move into Cities. Most of these cities are coastal - rarely inland.

What is the future?  Industries gave us Cities. Information Tech is giving us remote work/telecomuting/telemedicine.

So we might see urban congested cities become de-congested.

What optimal population size - that I believe is a stupid question. The earth doesn't really create anything. It's not like we are adding weight to earth. Matter can never be created nor destroyed - the same with energy.

Human for example if it can desalinate sea water - will have enough water to support 200B plus people.

Which came first?  Population or development?

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:46:05 PM »
I think the jury is still out on population and development. With the exception of the US, Canada, Australia - relatively new countries - most of the developed world is densely populated.  Which came first?  Population or development?

The rest of the world has internalized the message a long time ago, its only Africans who bury their heads in the sand. You have so called learned folks questioning basic premise of development economics. What of the peasants in the villages? Asians instinctively know it, Europeans have pioneered the small family movement. Blacks are resistant for some reason, ironic, since they most need population control given their Malthusian living standards. Blacks are the world's laggards but they resist every policy to ameliorate their condition. Religion and superstition is big in Africa and the black diaspora, others are increasingly turning away from religion. I'm very gloomy about the continent's prospects.

The developed world is densely populated but is rapidly depopulating as no one is having babies.

I hope you are not being facetious. The answer is obvious.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 07:49:53 PM »
You're trying to save the world by not having kids :) - that is funny.
I think the jury is still out on population and development. With the exception of the US, Canada, Australia - relatively new countries - most of the developed world is densely populated.  Which came first?  Population or development?

The rest of the world has internalized the message a long time ago, its only Africans who bury their heads in the sand. You have so called learned folks questioning basic premise of development economics. What of the peasants in the villages? Asians instinctively know it, Europeans have pioneered the small family movement. Blacks are resistant for some reason, ironic, since they most need population control given their Malthusian living standards. Blacks are the world's laggards but they resist every policy to ameliorate their condition. Religion and superstition is big in Africa and the black diaspora, others are increasingly turning away from religion. I'm very gloomy about the continent's prospects.

The developed world is densely populated but is rapidly depopulating as no one is having babies.

I hope you are not being facetious. The answer is obvious.

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
You're trying to save the world by not having kids :) - that is funny.

How did you get that from what I wrote?