Author Topic: 'Hustler' – Title or name, it is working for DP Ruto  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: 'Hustler' – Title or name, it is working for DP Ruto
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 09:57:57 AM »
In short Kawira is BBI :D

Mobutu is in a PANIC as Gema desert him one by one. I mean what happened to his Jubilee Asili Center - must the sarakasi be conducted around Mama Ngina property? Few radicals Gachagua, Ngunjiri will hang with Mobutu. Pangani "coup" was kneejerk to Murathe closed door meeting - done when the lion is absent of course. Uhuru and Baba are BBI co-sponsors - PM is all the mnofu Gema need to vote Baba. 1M1S was small test to show Gema how Tangatanga talk is cheap. They love Gema how come scorned Murkomen was so loud in "Team Kenya"?

In few weeks... dirt-poor Kwale is 70% hustler - in which case Msambweni should be walk in the park for Mobutu.

Ruto has the ground game in GEMA. Anybody who seriously want to play in 2022 has to back Ruto. It's the symbiotic relationship that will probably give us three women governors - in meru, embu and nakuru.

Uhuru is at variance with the ground - and he only has support at 'leadership level' through intimidation & bribery (Raila employ lots of violence to keep Luo elite and ground on a tight leash).

That Uhuru fake support will fizzle out 1) as we approach 2022 and 2) as he becomes lameduck - and people will listen to the ground - even if you send DCI every week - when election time approach - nobody will care - election is the make or break for next 5yrs.

The ground is not easy - don't think because Ruto, Uhuru and Raila did it before - it's easy. Uhuru obviously is going home and is not going to be influential anymore just like Kibaki or Moi.

You and Raila are betting on the WRONG HORSE - a dead retiring horse - will not win you any match.

Mt kenya are looking for a new future - there is power vacuum there - that needs to be filled - Ruto could well temporarily fill it for nature abhors vacuum :).

Maybe the mule - PK - will get some excitement outside Muranga - but so far it's not happening. Every time he appears with Raila - he loses the little support he was about to get :) :). That is how stupid he is. Because if I was him - I'd take kikuyu nationalism - and go real nuts on both Ruto and Raila. But we know PK really doesn't have the IQ for politics - that is why he run against Uhuru :) and then run against Sonko :) - I mean that got to be insane. He had Muranga for taking. Now he'd be a serious candidate for PORK. But now he wants to jump straight from CDF - managing 20m - to managing 4 trillion KSHS budget in 2022.

Show me any idiot like PK - wacha Murathe and brokers wakule pesa ya Sally Kosgey - otherwise the cassanova is no going to compete with Ruto with Phd in science and politics.

The big plan is that deep state machinery will just summon all GEMA leaders to Limuru Conference center and make him their leader - coz he special gift to GEMA from gods :)

That is how he did in Nairobi - last minute - he get lied to - only to be white-washed by insanely popular Sonko - apparently he was just coming to take gema votes and win.

Pundit - does Kawira Mwangaza back Hustler or Handshake?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »
You didn't even know about her until I told you :). When did she join BBI :). You don't know kenya politics and how to read it. There is a reason why you're often wrong in kenya politics - and the gold standard in these things.

You're slightly worse than Lee Makwiny - coz what you see is the obvious.

Mobutu is in a PANIC as Gema desert him one by one. I mean what happened to his Jubilee Asili Center - must the sarakasi be conducted around Mama Ngina property? Few radicals Gachagua, Ngunjiri will hang with Mobutu. Pangani "coup" was kneejerk to Murathe closed door meeting - done when the lion is absent of course. Uhuru and Baba are BBI co-sponsors - PM is all the mnofu Gema need to vote Baba. 1M1S was small test to show Gema how Tangatanga talk is cheap. They love Gema how come scorned Murkomen was so loud in "Team Kenya"?

In few weeks... dirt-poor Kwale is 70% hustler - in which case Msambweni should be walk in the park for Mobutu.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 12:01:07 PM »
We almost converging: BBI vs hustler. Now all those 2nd tier Kalonzos, Mdvds maybe marketing themselves but WITHIN HANDSHAKE. They are not dumb enough to think they can get Gema with Mobutu and Babu dog fight there - not even mkia. Babu is too old to Tosha them. Uhuru will not back the losers or Matiang'i. They also been around long enough to know power won't be shared - inclusion is just "message" ala NARC. BBI principally gives them a cover, a soft landing. You see Kalonzo cannot step down to majority leader cause Kamba will bolt - he need to be at big table and claim to be VP at least. Mdvd, Joho, Oparanyas, Matiang'i name it - will be fronted as VP/PM/DPM - 5 or 6 slots with exec or hybrid PM. BBI Manifesto.

That is Mobutu dilemma - hustler alienate top names - definitely Uhuru, Babu, Mdvd, Kalonzo are further wedged from him now. I saw Mdvd struggling to dismiss the wheelbarrow handout culture on youtube somewhere - I think on Gachoka Pointblank. There will be no power sharing- referendum is a long shot with covid poverty - but the report will be out with powerful PM for PK. Mdvds, Matiang'is, etc get VP/DPM - which so easy to sell. Raila will run to be "ceremonial PORK" for 1term ala Kibaki - BBI in 100 days :) - gender, 35%, welfare and all mana from Kondele will be pegged on BBI - Raila victory - which Mobutu oppose. All the freeloaders will be mere CS in dream cabinet.

Mobutu conundrum is if he stick to anti-BBI - it hard to line up Mdvds with mere VP slot for MK. You can't castigate BBI and credibly promise inclusion. If he give in to BBI - he erode dynasty narrative. BBI2 report is a sleight of hand that Raila and Uhuru will pull out of the hat with content and at timing of their choosing.

2022 BBI vs hustler - tribe vs class - is the showdown. Gema are gone from Mobutu in my eyes - the exodus is akin to wilderbeest migration in Serengeti. They will not vote Raila either but to keep power in nyomba via PM.

I don't think you understand politics - and it's cycles.  You have a long way to go.

Now is the time for pretenders to the throne to dream. Why would they back anybody at this point of time while they are posturing. When the reality hit them in 2022 - they will abandon their kamikaza runs - and look for the candidate likely to win. Ruto at some point looked like all was set - and then he hit some major headwinds a few months ago with BBI/Uhuru frontal assaults - but now he is back - and is the guy to make deals with.So for now - don't run too fast.  Even Kiunjuri who has a deal with Ruto is "distancing" himself. Because you've to attempt to run to consolidate the little support you can garner - before you to negotiating table and be taken seriously. You need to proof support.

Ruto had a deal with Uhuru way back - but at this point in 2012 - Ruto was running for PORK seriously. Spending millions. Or it seems. The same with 2007 - he was launching his bid in 2005/2006 - knowing fully well - he was aiming for the sun to reach the moon (prime minister).

Now BBI appeals to these guys in the 2nd tier - so they can cut a deal and become PM/DPM - nothing new here - it's always been like that - but if there will be no BBI - the animal is the same (PORK is still pork - and rest are fancy titles) - and they will cut deals for ministers and such positions.

Seem we are down to influencers? NFD is URP pastoralist zone but not 100%. Now remind us again why most influencers avoid Mobutu - I mean besides governors. Why do Weta, Mdvd distance themselves from Mobutu? Kalonzo? Mutua? Ngilu? Even Kingi or Mvurya avoid Mobutu like the plague. My point being the "issues" of the day are the Maa-Kipsigis variety not "message". 2002 what was the message for example - Uhuru is Moi project :) 2007 41 v 1. 2013 ICC.

NARC "revolution" was tribe on steroids and Wanjiku and Akinyi would pretend they wanted change while voting Kibaki and Raila.

PORK - Kibaki
VP - Wamalwa
2nd VP - Saitoti
3rd VP - Kalonzo :)
PM - Raila
1st DPM - Ngilu
2nd DPM - Kirwa

NARC was BBI.. few years earlier Raila NDP farmer party could not sell past Kavirondo - till trojan revolution. 2007 was worst tribal mayhem. 2013 don't tell us anyone bothered with digital vs analog - voting was strictly tribal. The issue was ICC aka let's save our tribal god.

Simple: if you buy Ndii nonsense that 40% poor back Mobutu - Msambweni should be walk in the park for hustler dog - there are majority poor there like rest of Sub Sahara. There should be little or no Mvurya, Kingi, Joho factors. I mean Mswambweni is a perfect sample of region with weak kingpin. Unlike say Kibra.

If I told you Luos will vote Ruto in any large numbers I would be lying. Tribes matters but only in areas that have strong tribal kingpin. For now we know Ruto and Raila have their home- base covered and are front runners for that reason. Anybody else need to do their homework. Well, we are all watching GEMA moves. So far it look likely a divided house. Like Luhyas. Then you go for small tribes or large tribes without unity of purpose - then you'll go influencers - and the dynamics of the day. Avoid over-analyzing dead woods - for example assembling Gideon and Isaac Ruto will not make any dent on Ruto numbers in RV. Be aware of new issues and new players. For example I told you in Meru - why you're focussed on Kiraitu and Munya - Mwangaza might be underground causing a storm. Matiangi is definitely a new player in Gusii - Raila propped him but he will eat Raila's lunch - and Ruto will probably get his part. Mijikenda - watch Kingi - there is a storm underground in Kilifi - and Joho might find himself with Mombasa alone -if Jicho Pevu doesn't take it. Maa are in a fix - as they try to wade off kispigis expansion in Narok - they have needed Raila and Uhuru in their fight - but historically kalenjin and maa are close...and Ruto will carry the day if Narok is handed over to them - especially the most voluble ole kina. Somalis and related - those ones are Ruto allies - there is no need for serious campaign there - Duale will handle that.
Tribe beat Class fair & square in 2002, 2007, 2013, 2017. Nothing new under the sun. It is the hustler concept that is unfounded. I mean our very own Pundit has abandoned pseudoscience and established philosophies. That sacrilege :)
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
Can you tell us what you see in Msambweni? I mean as the resident oracle :) Is hustler wave going to rout ODM Boga in the dirt-poor county or what?

Kawira of course prove my point - no influencer of note backs Mobutu outside URP. 8) 8) It Omar (10% vs Joho 70), Muthama (scorned by Kalonzo), Khalwale (20% vs Oparanya 70) - with long line of pawns. Seem only the greenhorns don't mind to be in opposition - the veterans won't play Russian roulette.

You didn't even know about her until I told you :). When did she join BBI :). You don't know kenya politics and how to read it. There is a reason why you're often wrong in kenya politics - and the gold standard in these things.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »
I could be wrong but Kawira Mwangaza was organizing Meru BBI with Kiraitu and Munya. She is not sold on hustler wave despite being the rising star on ground.

By the way when are hustler primaries for Mswambweni?

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
That why the dirty job of soiling the term is left to Atwoli - Raila, Uhuru or even Joho will never say that. This copypaste of wikitionary.

Hustler is ok rallying cry - it just can't eclipse tribal DNA.

Kiingereza mingi as Sudi would say. Kiingereza tupu as Prof Lonyanpuo would call it. Will not help you. People know what hustling means. It basically mean that - STRUGGLING.

Hustling - push roughly; jostle;

And that is reality in poverty infested country like Kenya  - most are hustling to survive.

a person who employs fraudulent or unscrupulous methods to obtain money; swindler. Informal. an expert gambler or game player who seeks out challengers, especially unsuspecting amateur ones, in order to win money from them: He earned his living as a pool hustler.

www.dictionary.com › browse › hus...
Hustler | Definition of Hustler at Dictionary.com

Most regime changing elections are won against the norm  , do you remember 2002 and 2013 elections ?

Tribe beat Class fair & square in 2002, 2007, 2013, 2017. Nothing new under the sun. It is the hustler concept that is unfounded. I mean our very own Pundit has abandoned pseudoscience and established philosophies. That sacrilege :)

Robina , there you go and confirm , you started analyzing politics Max 5 years ago.
I pointed out that regime changing elections deviate from the norm .
In 2002 the deviation from the norm was Mois calculation was by fronting Uhuru he would rally Mt Kenya to vote for him and together with his previous team it would be a quick win . When there was fall out in K.A.N.U. he never anticipated 2 things  first was Raila following and Joining Kibakis team( Wamalwa and Ngilu) and secondly Kalonzo Saitoti ,Awori having the balls to betray him after all he had made them .
So the suprise in 2002 is Raila joining Kibakis team of Wamalwa and Ngilu  .
In 2013  Similarly , 2 Things happened  New Constitution and ICC , UhuRuto ganged up together with Kalonzo to defeat Railas Bomas constitution in Naivasha and come up with a constituion which would disadvantage Raila in  2012 elections , secondly ICC happened and Railas calculation was that it was going to eliminate UhuRuto from 2013 elections . Then Ruto joined Uhuru and still Raila thought Rift Valley wont elect them  ,
Now the deviation in 2022 elections is the thought of Mt Kenya not electing someone not from the region , how wrong you and your ilk are

Perspective, perspective. 2013 key issue was ICC referendum- you attempt to veil this by rehashing all NARA  events. Raila was polling 48% around September 2010 I think 🤔 - for midwifing new katiba - before Ocampo showed up. Mijikenda or Kamba were not keen to assert Mwafrika sovereignty from mzungu kangaroo court. Tribe is the elephant.

2002. Moi messed but if Raila, Kalonzo, Saitoti did not dump Kanu - only Nyeri and maybe Meru would have stuck with Kibaki. Folks vote tribal - ingrained in their DNA for millenia - and sugarcoat it as issues of the day or message.

The main issue in 2022 is not Gema rebellion- that is Tangatanga's dream. Mobutu has been walking on eggs around the mountain and is cutting his losses. He is left with a handful of MPs now. Onto new hustler experiment.

2002 - trojan revolution
2007 - 41 vs 1
2013 - ICC
2017 - 2 minutes of Jubilee fame
2022 - tribe vs class. No Nobel to guess the outcome

Forget about fake polls , Im talking matter facts .There is no way Raila would be polling 48 % after losing Rift Valley and Lower Eastern being led by Kalonzo had united with Ruto , and Uhuru . Raila had been tricked to oppose the Constitution and KKK alliance were going to unite and promulgate the new constitution , but Raila  pulled a fast one and Put KKK in a position where either they were going to oppose Kibaki and lose their posts or halfheartedly be on the same side with Raila  hence the reason Uhuru and Kalonzo were deemed Watermelon . Ruto had the balls to go against the grain and for these he was transfered from Agriculture Ministry to the higher education one albeit with the ultimate price of becoming RV kingpin and DP  two years later .

In 2002 , there were only 2 strong candidates and both were from Central  , however the  wananchi apart from being fed up with Moi , they were given only two choices one was Uhuru with support of Mois incumbency and "  a  "surname "  people associated it with he reason they are poor or  a Kibaki -with only a baggage of being Kikuyu , they went with the latter . Ive told you the " magic" or whats called  "political miracle " then was first the comming together of Ngilu KIbaki and Wamalwa as NAK alliance and secondly Raila Saitoti and Kalonzo joining them . Nobody thought leave alone believe opposition would unite .

2022 " political miracle" will be GEMA doing a fist and uniting under someone outside their region , this being Ruto .

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2020, 01:20:18 PM »

I thinks she is just excited and personal emotional attachments to PK have made her to lean on the wishful thinking side . We saw this with Matiba and his followers in 92 and Raila and his followers  in 2013
Post 2022 elections she will become more rationale in her conclusions having learnt from the ordeal prior and upto 2022 elections

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
Robina

Are you from Philly? Are you living with an an Angolan? I know you are PK surrogate no wonder your obsession with gim

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »
Jubilee mlolongo mean we cannot settle this. I don't believe 2017 general elections were rigged as many NASA like bitmask, Kichwa do - but I know there was massive rigging in the Jubilee primaries. So I don't believe "wildly popular" Sonko scored 3X PK - that actually so stupid - when opinion polls gave them a tie consistently. Yet the same polls were almost bullseye on the general elections for PORK, governors. Same nonsense in Kiambu primaries - Kabogo, Waititu tied in Ipsos or Ambitho polls - then Waititu score 6X Kabogo. Some jokes.

Sonko had mere 53% vs Kidero - 30% Gema, 15% Kamba, plus few slumdwellers, Somalis, etc. Jubilee and Gema were his main leverage not hustlers. He beat Kidero by mere 150k yet 70% of folks are Mathare or Dandora hustlers.

PK wasn't crazy - 2013 and 17 - Uhuru ran against Kibaki too and this made him Gema frontrunner in 2012. Running against incumbent in 2007 or 2017 would be crazy so they both folded and defected. Transforming Nairobi would have been news indeed - but that lots of ifs and buts now. History.  Right now PK is frontrunner despite being rather hapless. Cause he ran for PORK in 2013 particularly - and he was cheated by Mobutu mlolongo specifically. Where is smart MK now?

PK should run on Kikuyu nationalism against Uhuru and Mobutu? Nope. That MK strategy which is DOA - cause Kinoti will resurrect NCPB carcass and hang him. That the system for you. MK can wait for 2021 Dec when Uhuru is lameduck :) - meantime the real war is Uhuru vs Mobutu. If it was MK vs PK without Uhuruto fallout - MK would nick it with his proverbs and tongue- twister mastery. PK is Uhuru pawn - and has moved all hurdles for him. Going rogue would be bad move - cause he is well known softie so it would be incredibly out of character. His biggest USP is UhuRao Handshake BBI deal - the stars are lined right now - he is not that stupid. He just need to continue appearing to be new powerbroker in Handshake night meetings as Mps, CSs, Kiraitus, Kimunyas endorse him. It already on google that he is frontrunner for kingpin and PM.

Ruto has the ground game in GEMA. Anybody who seriously want to play in 2022 has to back Ruto. It's the symbiotic relationship that will probably give us three women governors - in meru, embu and nakuru.

Uhuru is at variance with the ground - and he only has support at 'leadership level' through intimidation & bribery (Raila employ lots of violence to keep Luo elite and ground on a tight leash).

That Uhuru fake support will fizzle out 1) as we approach 2022 and 2) as he becomes lameduck - and people will listen to the ground - even if you send DCI every week - when election time approach - nobody will care - election is the make or break for next 5yrs.

The ground is not easy - don't think because Ruto, Uhuru and Raila did it before - it's easy. Uhuru obviously is going home and is not going to be influential anymore just like Kibaki or Moi.

You and Raila are betting on the WRONG HORSE - a dead retiring horse - will not win you any match.

Mt kenya are looking for a new future - there is power vacuum there - that needs to be filled - Ruto could well temporarily fill it for nature abhors vacuum :).

Maybe the mule - PK - will get some excitement outside Muranga - but so far it's not happening. Every time he appears with Raila - he loses the little support he was about to get :) :). That is how stupid he is. Because if I was him - I'd take kikuyu nationalism - and go real nuts on both Ruto and Raila. But we know PK really doesn't have the IQ for politics - that is why he run against Uhuru :) and then run against Sonko :) - I mean that got to be insane. He had Muranga for taking. Now he'd be a serious candidate for PORK. But now he wants to jump straight from CDF - managing 20m - to managing 4 trillion KSHS budget in 2022.

Show me any idiot like PK - wacha Murathe and brokers wakule pesa ya Sally Kosgey - otherwise the cassanova is no going to compete with Ruto with Phd in science and politics.

The big plan is that deep state machinery will just summon all GEMA leaders to Limuru Conference center and make him their leader - coz he special gift to GEMA from gods :)

That is how he did in Nairobi - last minute - he get lied to - only to be white-washed by insanely popular Sonko - apparently he was just coming to take gema votes and win.

Pundit - does Kawira Mwangaza back Hustler or Handshake?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 04:01:07 PM »
You must be part of PK internet groupies of 2013.
I think Higgins the genius left the camp and joined Ruto.

If you can make two mistakes in succession like PK - then you're horrible.
The man is probably 60 plus years now

Ruto has never run for PORK.

The first thing in life - unless you're delusional PK - you got to know your WORTH.

Surely if 2013 and 2017 didn't convince you that PK is an idiot nothing will.

Again right now he is making a mistake of his life - he should be going for Muranga governorship.

But he will end up - just the former Gatanga MP.
Jubilee mlolongo mean we cannot settle this. I don't believe 2017 general elections were rigged as many NASA like bitmask, Kichwa do - but I know there was massive rigging in the Jubilee primaries. So I don't believe "wildly popular" Sonko scored 3X PK - that actually so stupid - when opinion polls gave them a tie consistently. Yet the same polls were almost bullseye on the general elections for PORK, governors. Same nonsense in Kiambu primaries - Kabogo, Waititu tied in Ipsos or Ambitho polls - then Waititu score 6X Kabogo. Some jokes.

Sonko had mere 53% vs Kidero - 30% Gema, 15% Kamba, plus few slumdwellers, Somalis, etc. Jubilee and Gema were his main leverage not hustlers. He beat Kidero by mere 150k yet 70% of folks are Mathare or Dandora hustlers.

PK wasn't crazy - 2013 and 17 - Uhuru ran against Kibaki too and this made him Gema frontrunner in 2012. Running against incumbent in 2007 or 2017 would be crazy so they both folded and defected. Transforming Nairobi would have been news indeed - but that lots of ifs and buts now. History.  Right now PK is frontrunner despite being rather hapless. Cause he ran for PORK in 2013 particularly - and he was cheated by Mobutu mlolongo specifically. Where is smart MK now?

PK should run on Kikuyu nationalism against Uhuru and Mobutu? Nope. That MK strategy which is DOA - cause Kinoti will resurrect NCPB carcass and hang him. That the system for you. MK can wait for 2021 Dec when Uhuru is lameduck :) - meantime the real war is Uhuru vs Mobutu. If it was MK vs PK without Uhuruto fallout - MK would nick it with his proverbs and tongue- twister mastery. PK is Uhuru pawn - and has moved all hurdles for him. Going rogue would be bad move - cause he is well known softie so it would be incredibly out of character. His biggest USP is UhuRao Handshake BBI deal - the stars are lined right now - he is not that stupid. He just need to continue appearing to be new powerbroker in Handshake night meetings as Mps, CSs, Kiraitus, Kimunyas endorse him. It already on google that he is frontrunner for kingpin and PM.

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »
https://www.the-star.co.ke/opinion/columnists/2020-10-08-rutos-hustlers-vs-dynasty-a-bold-experiment/

Usually it is within six months of a general election that temperatures rise high enough to bring about the kind of violence that produces casualties. But election-related deaths have come remarkably early this time around.

This tells us that the 2022 election will not be a replay of the 2002 transitional election, in which election-related violence was minimal.

Indeed, our current president, Uhuru Kenyatta, who was the loser in the 2002 presidential election, very gracefully conceded defeat and congratulated the winner, Mwai Kibaki. This was followed by a peaceful handing over of the instruments of power from the serving president to his successor, with no allegations of foul play and election rigging.

If we are to judge by the tragedy that took place in Murang’a last weekend – an outbreak of politically-instigated violence during which two young men were murdered –  there is little chance of any such graceful concessions or messages of sincere congratulations from the loser to the winner in 2022.

It is a bitterly contested political race that we have ahead of us.

And on that subject, an interesting factor that has emerged thus far, is that the political slogan being wielded by the Deputy President, Dr William Ruto, is far more powerful than you could rationally expect.

When Ruto first began to proclaim himself to be the champion of Kenyan “hustlers” who was out to uproot the united political strength of the alleged “dynasts”, it seemed like a pretty weak notion.

After all, is it not obvious from the history of each presidential election that we have ever had, that when it comes to the casting of votes Kenyans practice what is formally known as “identity politics”—what may more bluntly be called tribalism.

He invites his supporters to put behind them their usual focus on regional and linguistic tribal solidarity, and to embrace what amounts to a neo-Marxist theoretical framework that gives them a new identity as the betrayed and longsuffering “wretched of the earth”.

There are exceptions of course.

At the moment there are at least three MPs I can think of who are of Asian ancestry, and have successfully won a parliamentary seat with probably only a single-digit vote tally from their fellow Asians.

But the broader pattern is clear enough. When it comes to a serious bid for the presidency, you need at least one of the five big tribes behind you, just to get started. And no such big tribe will support you, if you are not “one of our own” as Kenyans say, or have some kind of electoral pact with an acknowledged regional leader.

Dr Ruto seems to be out to change all this. His brand of politics is – fundamentally – not that different from what has been practised previously, in that it is basically an effort to create a narrative of “us against them”.

The only modification – and possibly a very shrewd one – is that he seeks to define his side, “us”, as consisting of all the poor and desperate who have seen subsequent governments betray their expectations of a better life; and his rivals, “them”, are painted as being the children of unfair and unearned privilege.

In this narrative, these rivals are the sons of a hereditary political elite which has since Independence absorbed all the benefits that came with independence, leaving “the rest of us” destitute and having no choice but to beg for the crumbs under their table.

In short, that what was supposed to be the bright new dawn of Independence, was a sham: it was actually a shift from colonial rule, to the feudalisation of the economy, and the creation of a quasi-aristocratic elite who rule over their serfs.

The question that arises then is this: although this narrative of “hustlers versus dynasts” greatly irritates Ruto’s political rivals, does it really represent what the average Kenyan voter feels? Or at least what that average voter can be persuaded to believe?

Dr Ruto is offering the great majority of Kenyans (who are most definitely poor) a new form of identity politics. He invites his supporters to put behind them their usual focus on regional and linguistic tribal solidarity, and to embrace what amounts to a neo-Marxist theoretical framework that gives them a new identity as the betrayed and longsuffering “wretched of the earth”.

It is a bold experiment.

Offline Nowayhaha

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2020, 05:53:54 AM »
https://www.the-star.co.ke/opinion/columnists/2020-10-10-hustler-whats-in-a-name/

Deputy President William Ruto believes he has invented a powerful national narrative.

“Finally, we have the conversation of our lifetime: the hustler. Until now, our politics was hostage to the stupidity of ethnicity/our person, which is the reason why almost half of Kenyans live in poverty and 16 million are jobless. The tribeless hustler imperative is a revolution in our politics,” he tweeted recently.

The DP attached to the tweet two photos from the front-page of the Star captioned, “Ruto and Raila lock horns over hustler narrative”.

A hustler is an aggressively enterprising person; a go-getter. Ruto has for years styled himself as the Hustler, son of a peasant who rose from selling chickens on the roadside to the pinnacle of state power.

The moral of this tale is that anyone can make it in life. But there is more. The DP has provoked a radical conversation about poverty.

The accepted wisdom is that people are poor because the national cake is not big enough to satisfy everyone. But the hustler narrative suggests that poverty is a result of elite accumulation and exclusion of the hoi polloi. So, you have hustlers who struggle to get by while the dynasties gorge themselves on the fat of the land courtesy of their privileged parentage.

He has in mind President Uhuru Kenyatta (son of first President Jomo), ODM leader Raila Odinga (son of the first Vice President), Ruto’s Rift Valley nemesis Baringo Senator Gideon Moi (son of second President Daniel arap Moi) and presidential aspirant Musalia Mudavadi (son of powerful Moi confidant and Western supremo Moses Mudavadi).

Ruto has created an ideological brand. The hustlers-dynasties dichotomy resonates with millions of people who live from hand to mouth. It is a potent political tool because Ruto has pointed out an enemy most people can see. His message is you are poor because you have been robbed.

To concretise the hustler narrative – move it from an abstract idea to something tangible – Ruto is using his money to support “fellow hustlers” start income-generating activities. In this way, he also hopes to quash questions about sources of his wealth.

In a country teeming with jobless millions whose dreams have gone up in smoke, where the rich get richer and the poor sink deeper into hopelessness, the hustler narrative has a redemptive quality to it.

Ruto is an evangelical Christian. Like a masterful preacher who enthrals his followers with promises of material success in Jesus’ name, Ruto has used the hustler tale to persuade many people to rethink their poverty and how they might conquer it. He presents himself as the prime example.