Author Topic: Ease of doing business  (Read 2646 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Ease of doing business
« on: September 01, 2020, 05:33:54 AM »
So this what we call ease of doing business. I haven't seen Pundit and his FDI obsession since uhuru started physically molesting ruto
?s=19

Offline Arcadian_Dreamer

• VIP
  • Enigma
  • Life is a mistake
Re: Ease of doing business
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 06:57:53 AM »
This is nothing, tea farmers are taxed 42 times over. Over regulation, over taxation are low hanging fruits in the Ke economy, any leader who makes a modest effort to streamline them will reap big benefits, Kibaki growth will be dwarfed.
Sleep is good, death is better; but of course, The best would be never to have been born at all.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »
Cost of doing businesss. Not the ease of doing business. If you have money - you can get all those done in a few days - but cost is clearly an issues - starting from regulation, taxes, electricity, labour and etc.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 08:45:40 AM »
 :D :D :D more like the investor should get a consolidated invoice of 550K instead of running around 20 offices paying these single amounts.

Cost of doing businesss. Not the ease of doing business. If you have money - you can get all those done in a few days - but cost is clearly an issues - starting from regulation, taxes, electricity, labour and etc.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 08:48:27 AM »
Yes, pretty much, everywhere I have gone, most of it done on ecitizen or some web platform - with mpesa payment accepted. So Ease of Doing business is okay. The problem is cost of doing business.
:D :D :D more like the investor should get a consolidated invoice of 550K instead of running around 20 offices paying these single amounts.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 08:57:14 AM »
I can confirm none of those licences are payable online. You have to hustle them for weeks and months especially those requiring physical inspection.

Yes, pretty much, everywhere I have gone, most of it done on ecitizen or some web platform - with mpesa payment accepted. So Ease of Doing business is okay. The problem is cost of doing business.

Kenya as usual rigged on ease of starting a business by confusing it with ease of registering a business.
https://www.doingbusiness.org/en/rankings

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »
Well, I haven't dealt specifically with any of that, mine is more starting a business, not running one, but whatever I have been doing, which is on small hydro plant and tea cottage factory, I have found online portals to submit my stuff, except for WRMA, and I guess for me, I normally call a friend who call a friend, and I send somebody to get me somewhere.

For me the ease of business is there. The cost of business is something else. That is why I realize to manufacture anything - I need to start from generating my own electricity. The biggest business risk is KRA sending you tax bill you can't pay. Labour I think is easy to sort - there is mismatch btw min pay and what people are willing to take...so you can play around that.

I can confirm none of those licences are payable online. You have to hustle them for weeks and months especially those requiring physical inspection.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 11:55:40 AM »
It is called ease of DOING business - not sure why you are dribbling around semantics.

All these factors are intertwined. Labour is expensive because housing is expensive because of lack of infrastructure because there are no taxes because the business are killed by cost of power and even more taxes.

Well, I haven't dealt specifically with any of that, mine is more starting a business, not running one, but whatever I have been doing, which is on small hydro plant and tea cottage factory, I have found online portals to submit my stuff, except for WRMA, and I guess for me, I normally call a friend who call a friend, and I send somebody to get me somewhere.

For me the ease of business is there. The cost of business is something else. That is why I realize to manufacture anything - I need to start from generating my own electricity. The biggest business risk is KRA sending you tax bill you can't pay. Labour I think is easy to sort - there is mismatch btw min pay and what people are willing to take...so you can play around that.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 01:06:23 PM »
But don't forget people are thriving because you can push the tab to the final consumer.
It is called ease of DOING business - not sure why you are dribbling around semantics.

All these factors are intertwined. Labour is expensive because housing is expensive because of lack of infrastructure because there are no taxes because the business are killed by cost of power and even more taxes.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 04:23:06 PM »
So this what we call ease of doing business. I haven't seen Pundit and his FDI obsession since uhuru started physically molesting ruto

If true that is Shocking!!!!  Probably wouldn't cost more than 50 USD in Delaware.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »

If true that is Shocking!!!!  Probably wouldn't cost more than 50 USD in Delaware.
Yeah state license is about that..150 to form a c Corp

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
Kenya is 100 dollars and you have a private company - about 10,400 - with generic memorand and article - all through Ecitizen. The issues is depending on the business - you'll need a lot more licenses.
In Rwanda it maxes out at around 14 USD.

https://www.visitrwanda.com/investment/how-to-invest/starting-a-business/

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
All this onerous regulations is what has driven businesses to the black market. Compliance of regulations and taxation is the biggest impediment to business development in kenya. The most important metric in economy is economic freedom. Kenya is at almost the bottom of that index behind Uganda and Nigeria. 

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 04:40:10 PM »
Kenya is 100 dollars and you have a private company - about 10,400 - with generic memorand and article - all through Ecitizen. The issues is depending on the business - you'll need a lot more licenses.

Makes sense.  I suspected that list in the OP is a bit extreme.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 09:43:27 PM »

Makes sense.  I suspected that list in the OP is a bit extreme.

In kenya you still have to pay the fees in that tweet for this particular business. Registration is different fee. So add the pundit fee to that schedule..you can wake up and start selling water. Kanju and kra will detain you till you pay these fees

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2020, 09:54:27 PM »
But even slumlords like you are no longer immune from KRA. The property tax that is coming soon will be huge - once the gov has digitized title deeds - KRA and Kanjo will see it as low hanging fruit.
In kenya you still have to pay the fees in that tweet for this particular business. Registration is different fee. So add the pundit fee to that schedule..you can wake up and start selling water. Kanju and kra will detain you till you pay these fees

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 10:10:47 PM »
But even slumlords like you are no longer immune from KRA. The property tax that is coming soon will be huge - once the gov has digitized title deeds - KRA and Kanjo will see it as low hanging fruit.

Property taxes and now rental income tax is paid. Kenya taxes are just ridiculous. These slum crappers barely return 11%. There is a lot of hidden costs. You will find you pay about 35% just to run the property monthly. It is not a good investment.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 10:14:57 PM »
You should talk to my wife...she is just into rentals.
Property taxes and now rental income tax is paid. Kenya taxes are just ridiculous. These slum crappers barely return 11%. There is a lot of hidden costs. You will find you pay about 35% just to run the property monthly. It is not a good investment.