Author Topic: Microsoft Windows 10 is here. Intentionally skips windows 9!  (Read 5726 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Microsoft Windows 10 is here. Intentionally skips windows 9!
« on: October 01, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
Microsoft officially unveiled Windows 10 this morning, and the company is planning to distribute a Technical Preview of the new operating system tomorrow. At Microsoft's event today there were a number of machines running the Windows 10 Technical Preview, and I got an opportunity to briefly explore the new OS. While Microsoft pushed hard with touch on Windows 8, Windows 10 is the complete opposite. If you mouse into the corners to find the tricky Charms Bar they no longer trigger and frustrate. Instead, you're greeted with the familiar Windows desktop and Start Menu from the moment you use Windows 10. It's Windows 7 right now and very early in its development, but it has some interesting improvements waiting inside.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 is here. Intentionally skips windows 9!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
Microsoft very cunning.  That anyone can still be pursuaded to use, let alone buy Windows, is testimony to their genius.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
Me thinks this should have been Windows 8.2, not Windows 10. Having to pay once again to upgrade from a failed OS is pure highway thievery.
Windows 8 didn't have any noble motivations. Treating a desktop environment like a mobile device is ridiculous.

Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
What is option for desktop enviroment? Maybe Google can do it with their chrome eventually.
Microsoft very cunning.  That anyone can still be pursuaded to use, let alone buy Windows, is testimony to their genius.

Offline chiethakuodha

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:45:30 PM »
Give me Windows 97-2003 any day.  All these upgrades are the most user-unfriendly ghosts I have ever met.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction".

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Me thinks this should have been Windows 8.2, not Windows 10. Having to pay once again to upgrade from a failed OS is pure highway thievery.
Windows 8 didn't have any noble motivations. Treating a desktop environment like a mobile device is ridiculous.

I've been using Linux for 13 years now... I change it once a year... Very refreshing.  Linux Mint is flavour for 2014 in my home

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:59:40 PM »
What is option for desktop enviroment? Maybe Google can do it with their chrome eventually.
Linux.  There was a time it would have been a harder sell.  During the proprietary era when Microsoft had a vice like grip on everyone.  When you had to put up or shut up.  Some things were only mature on Windows.  But that is way in the past.

Granted most people are just hooked because they already use Windows.  And every few years, they release a "new" operating system that really does nothing new.  But people buy because they won't support the older trash they sold them earlier.

Given the options from Linux today, it's tough for me to justify to anyone just starting off why they should go the Windows way. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »
Give me Windows 97-2003 any day.  All these upgrades are the most user-unfriendly ghosts I have ever met.
Buying Windows is just imprisonment.  Then you have to buy anti-virus subscriptions that will not miss to remind to renew it by a millisecond.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »
Linux users are so insecure, they thrive by dissing Microsoft...helps most of them sleep
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
Linux users are so insecure, they thrive by dissing Microsoft...helps most of them sleep
That is funny.  Very funny.  The secureness metaphor.  I happen to be familiar with and regularly work on both OSs as well as variants of UNIX. 
Without the latest anti-virus software Windows usually breaks up before your eyes. 

I can't recall when I last saw or even heard of a virus issue on either UNIX or Linux.  I comes down to the way they systems are designed.  UNIX has not changed much.  Linux borrows a lot from it. 

There is a good reason why Linux servers dominate the Internet landscape. 

I am only giving good reasons why Microsoft Windows still owns the desktop.  Though I am willing to bet it is losing that battle too.  Especially in the less developed countries where costs count for much more. 

Why should you pay for something that will burden you with more costs when you can get the same and more secure functionality free of charge? 

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
Terminator...i only use linux on server...maybe i should try linux for desktop. Mint linux. The last time i saw linux UI..it looked creepy like it has always. Anyway as long as we can bootleg we will continue windows for free.

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 06:12:44 PM »
Terminator...i only use linux on server...maybe i should try linux for desktop. Mint linux. The last time i saw linux UI..it looked creepy like it has always. Anyway as long as we can bootleg we will continue windows for free.
You should.  There was a time Windows enjoyed a few advantages over Linux; mostly in terms of IDEs.  I remember we would do Java dev on Together J running on Windows to be deployed on Solaris servers.

When .NET narrowed the gap with Java, early 2000s Windows became even stronger. 

You had to tolerate its other shortcomings where common technologies were not available out of the box.

These days it's the opposite.  In fact Windows just cripples the way one views things.  They even have .NET IDEs on Linux(though with a lag on some of the latest offerings).

I have heard Mint is a pretty rich environment.  Ubuntu distros have a very viable productivity environment.

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 07:35:48 PM »
You've got to be tech savvy to use linux. Anti-virus kills windows. I prefer macs for internet browsing.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 08:52:24 PM »
You've got to be tech savvy to use linux. Anti-virus kills windows. I prefer macs for internet browsing.

Not veritable, most linux distros have developed mature UIs. But still there are some stripped down versions that require a savvy nerd. I used linux ultimate edition and linux mint as a dual boot with windows for a long time on my previous computer. They worked well but some programs were not yet supported OR drivers may not work well on some PCs as is my situation now :(

Meanwhile, this is what the microwhores are doing to me and my old nokia phone!!

Microsoft is a scary monster. It comes second to Apple. It has just entered app store wars. Worst is yet to come!!

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »
Im currently using a OpenSuSe box as my router. serving dhcp, port forwarding, and some other services.The resulting setup is just be like a normal firewall using a virtual router at no cost.
If only Microsoft could begin to think in these lines.
I think Linux will remain unbeaten for a long long time.
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
Im currently using a OpenSuSe box as my router. serving dhcp, port forwarding, and some other services.The resulting setup is just be like a normal firewall using a virtual router at no cost.
If only Microsoft could begin to think in these lines.
I think Linux will remain unbeaten for a long long time.
Yep.  These things can be found in Windows.  But they don't come natural and come at a price.  You can't just wake up one morning and say, I am turning this machine into a server.  They are also intrusive.  You end up working for the OS instead of the other way round.  I thought Yast and the windows file system access were pretty impressive on SUSE.  I go the Lubuntu way whenever I have choice.

Harriet Tubman