Author Topic: Hong Kong lit up by democracy  (Read 6325 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Hong Kong lit up by democracy
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
I want to be there.  :D

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/09/30/asia-pacific/hong-kong-democracy-protesters-set-deadline-for-demands/#.VCqjbzmXLJw

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/sep/29/hong-kong-democracy-march-video

My folks went to Hong Kong for their honeymoon.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Hong Kong lit up by democracy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
They are going nowhere. Why didn't they agitate for this same democracy when Britain ruled it without a semblance of representative democracy for decades?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
They are going nowhere. Why didn't they agitate for this same democracy when Britain ruled it without a semblance of representative democracy for decades?

Trust China to give in.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:03:42 PM »
Hong Kong went to the dogs after going to China. No country wants to be owned by China. I'd protest.

No way are China seceding. I wonder if they'll give them panda bears like they did to Taiwan.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:10:10 PM »
Hong Kong went to the dogs after going to China. No country wants to be owned by China. I'd protest.

No way are China seceding. I wonder if they'll give them panda bears like they did to Taiwan.
Correction: Hong Kong has always been Chinese.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:19:12 AM »
Hong Kong belonged to the British, they were given to China not too long ago. .. ?

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
Hong Kong belonged to the British, they were given to China not too long ago. .. ?
Nope. Hong Kong was one of the ports seized by Britain to force China to allow the Brits to sell Opium and other unwanted goods in China. Read about the Opium Wars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Opium_War

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
??

Erm... ?? Hongkies do not identify with the Chinese. Not at all. Hong Kong people are considered rich. Back in the day the place was immaculate littered with uppity colonial influences. Chinese peeps are considered poor. Like comparing Singapore to China except Hong Kong was considered more affluent than Singapore. Over the years however... disaster.

Hong Kong independence movement
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia

The Hong Kong independence movement (Traditional Chinese:??????, Simplified Chinese:??????) is a movement that advocates Hong Kong becoming an independent sovereign state.[1] Following the handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China, many Hongkongers have expressed concern over the governance by the Communist Party of China over issues surrounding justice, freedom, democratic development, as well as well-developed economic environment after being a special administrative region. Some of them want the current SAR to become a sovereign city-state like Singapore. According to HKPOP's 2007 poll, 25% of Hong Kongers preferred an independent Hong Kong rather than an SAR ruled by PRC, an increase from 22% in 2005, while 64.7% of interviewees thought it should not be independent. 33% of interviewees said they would prefer independence if the Communist Party still rules PRC in 2047, when the Sino-British Joint Declaration expires, but stated that they would prefer to remain part of the country if and only if the Communist Party reforms into a full democracy with universal suffrage.[2]

This movement should not be confused with the Hong Kong Autonomy Movement, which rather than advocate independence from the PRC, demands that the PRC allow and implement the Hong Kong people a high degree of autonomy, as was promised at the Handover of 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_independence_movement

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:23:47 PM »
There is just one simple thing that makes me - an avowed democrat - tilt towards China. That is: Why did the so called Democracy movement never question British dictatorship and are only doing it when Hong Kong reverts back to China? There is greater Democracy in Hong Kong than it were during the British Dictatorship. So why the urgency after remaining docile for two centuries.

NB: Hong Kong people are ethnically Chinese - despite feeling "superior" on the basis of having had the "privilege" of being colonized by the British!

??

Erm... ?? Hongkies do not identify with the Chinese. Not at all. Hong Kong people are considered rich. Back in the day the place was immaculate littered with uppity colonial influences. Chinese peeps are considered poor. Like comparing Singapore to China except Hong Kong was considered more affluent than Singapore. Over the years however... disaster

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
If the Brits gave Kenya to Ethiopia, are you going to go oh, we're Africans that's ok. Kenyans are not Ethiopians nor vice versa.

Anything sold to the Chinese become rubbish. Look at Taiwan. China's is one third Communism. Hong Kong has enjoyed the privileges of capital wealth much before China even considered capitalism. They are two very different countries much in the way Congo is different from Kenya. Congo is China, Kenya is Hong Kong.

Take the umbrella dear Omollo.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
1. The Ethiopian analogy does not fit at all. Britain seized Hong Kong and many other ports from China. Hong Kong and Macao (Portuguese) were the last ones to be returned. It is the same as India seizing Lamu, using it for 200 years and when the "agreement" expires, restores Lamu to Kenya.

2. I do understand that Hong Kong under the Brits, pursued a different economic line and ended up with massive wealth - most of it shipped out just before Hong Kong reverted to China. But we are back to the Zimbabwe White Farms analogy. Veritas, if I force you to sign over your apartment to me and I put it to very good use and perhaps see an increase in its value, does it become "mine" on the grounds that I use it "better" than you? This is one of the saddest chapters of colonial exploitation which sadly has left scars for China to suffer with;
3. Hong Kong was NOT sold to the Chinese. It is legitimate, legal and customary Chinese land to which the People's Republic of China has inalienable rights.
4. It is hard to economically describe China as "Communist".

BTW Thanks for the Mwavuli.
If the Brits gave Kenya to Ethiopia, are you going to go oh, we're Africans that's ok. Kenyans are not Ethiopians nor vice versa.

Anything sold to the Chinese become rubbish. Look at Taiwan. China's is one third Communism. Hong Kong has enjoyed the privileges of capital wealth much before China even considered capitalism. They are two very different countries much in the way Congo is different from Kenya. Congo is China, Kenya is Hong Kong.

Take the umbrella dear Omollo.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
The Hongkies deserve to be FREE. I see the analogy you're using but I assure you Hongkies are not Chinese. Hong Kong isn't just a piece of land attached to China. It's a VERY different culture and peoples. That's like returning Korea to China because it's attached to China by land. Despite the fact they're very different culture and peoples.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »
The Hongkies deserve to be FREE. I see the analogy you're using but I assure you Hongkies are not Chinese. Hong Kong isn't just a piece of land attached to China. It's a VERY different culture and peoples. That's like returning Korea to China because it's attached to China by land. Despite the fact they're very different culture and peoples.
I have heard Hong Kong are mainly Cantonese and the other Chinese are mostly Mandarin.  Are these tribes?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:51 PM »
Yes. That's another difference. Chinese speak mandarin and have terribly thick accents. Hongkies can speak English.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »
.... Or NEP (Somali Speaking) to Kenya? Could you argue that Somali are not Kenyan? Or Luo since most Luo are outside Kenya?

A country does not need to be homogenous. The Cantonese are as Chinese as Kalenjin are Kenyan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese_people

Cantonese is the prestige language of the Cantonese people. Inside mainland China, it is a lingua franca in Guangdong Province and some neighbouring areas, such as the eastern part of Guangxi Province. Outside mainland China, it is spoken by the majority population of Hong Kong and Macau in everyday life. It is also spoken by overseas Chinese communities in Southeast Asia (like Malaysia, Christmas Island), Canada, Brazil, Peru, Cuba, Panama, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and the United States.

While the term Cantonese refers narrowly to the prestige language described in this article, it is often used in a broader sense for the entire Yue branch of Chinese, including related dialects such as Taishanese.

The Cantonese language is also viewed as part of the cultural identity for the native speakers across large swathes of southern China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
I am glad you clearly indicate that the Cantonese are Chinese.

I have heard Hong Kong are mainly Cantonese and the other Chinese are mostly Mandarin.  Are these tribes?