Author Topic: Two kikuyu engineer's make a ventilator prototype using  (Read 4838 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Two kikuyu engineer's make a ventilator prototype using
« on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:21 PM »
Local materials they were cloud funded on facebook

I am impressed. I have seen kairu innovate like the genius he is

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10163389736000602&id=872445601&anchor_composer=false

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Two kikuyu engineer's make a ventilator prototype using
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:34 PM »
I have been following them. This is what mwafrika lacks. The ability to make things. We are only good in repairing broken things..but we are far from conceiving new products/services.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:10:11 PM »
They are quite gusty. I had been following Kairu and Eprahim Maina

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:34 PM »
Now we have a working prototype for ventilator. This prototype is very simple, it's made from locally available materials. The prototype taught me very invaluable lessons. It provided a hands on crush course on manufacturing, now I know instinctively the pitfalls of manufacturing and assembling ventilators.

The next step is the most important. We now go high tech , we will use computer aided manufacturing. We will select the best designs from across the world and 3d print them. I already have 4 designs from Israel, Spain , Ireland and US.

These designs have already been approved in their country of jurisdiction. We will reproduce them here and send off the shelves products to the ministry of health here in Kenya for regulatory approval. We aim to do this in the next few days. We don't have the luxury of time.

We will need funds to do this so I need you to come up and support this cause in a big way.

Every so often we will regularly update to show how much money has been raised here . From experience from the prototype it cost 86k to make one ventilator.

We aim to make 100 3d printed ventilators in the next 3 to 5 days . So we need to raise 8m kshs . Support the cause paybill number 940750 account ventilator. We don't have the luxury of time , once a person falls seriously ill they need a breathing aid otherwise they die. Support the cause . Twende kazi.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:55:20 PM »
Now we have a working prototype for ventilator. This prototype is very simple, it's made from locally available materials. The prototype taught me very invaluable lessons. It provided a hands on crush course on manufacturing, now I know instinctively the pitfalls of manufacturing and assembling ventilators.

The next step is the most important. We now go high tech , we will use computer aided manufacturing. We will select the best designs from across the world and 3d print them. I already have 4 designs from Israel, Spain , Ireland and US.

These designs have already been approved in their country of jurisdiction. We will reproduce them here and send off the shelves products to the ministry of health here in Kenya for regulatory approval. We aim to do this in the next few days. We don't have the luxury of time.

We will need funds to do this so I need you to come up and support this cause in a big way.

Every so often we will regularly update to show how much money has been raised here . From experience from the prototype it cost 86k to make one ventilator.

We aim to make 100 3d printed ventilators in the next 3 to 5 days . So we need to raise 8m kshs . Support the cause paybill number 940750 account ventilator. We don't have the luxury of time , once a person falls seriously ill they need a breathing aid otherwise they die. Support the cause . Twende kazi.

I think they don't understand what a ventilator is.  One of those machines costs 25K USD(I think now closer to 40K because of demand).  The machines have very specific calibrations for the amount of oxygen and other components of air that go in.  There is probably also a big deal of materials science that goes into that - not just the mechanics of inhaling and exhaling.  How can this guy claim he now knows the ins and outs of ventilator manufacture after making what might not even get a pass as a high school project in Kenya?

I love his tinkering and curiosity though.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 10:27:51 PM »
Laud them for trying but they need to do lotsa research first and then work on perfecting it.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:00 PM »
they said this was a proof of concept. they claim to have designs that they will use that have been approved in EUROPE. Necessity is mother of invention. The way surgery was discovered and perfected was using crude methods in moments of crises. Most medicine emerges during war where you have to innovate on the go. I am with Kairu on this one. He actually was selling a weather preditions model that he invented to predict weather in Kenya using the public available satelite data.

I am not scientist so guys like this just make me amazed and the fact they are doing this with the limitation of technology and materials

Offline Garliv

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 11:37:31 PM »
If it were maybe Europe or US (especially US), such innovation get partners,  sponsors and funders plus marketers. And then it takes sometimes for it to be fine tuned and then hit the market including being exported. In Kenya such innovation efforts are of mild curiosity or amusement to many. Neither government or private sector would touch such. The guy needs supports, funds and relevant partners like engineers and manufacturers. 

they said this was a proof of concept. they claim to have designs that they will use that have been approved in EUROPE. Necessity is mother of invention. The way surgery was discovered and perfected was using crude methods in moments of crises. Most medicine emerges during war where you have to innovate on the go. I am with Kairu on this one. He actually was selling a weather preditions model that he invented to predict weather in Kenya using the public available satelite data.

I am not scientist so guys like this just make me amazed and the fact they are doing this with the limitation of technology and materials

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 11:50:35 PM »

That thing looks like a motor with mechanical attachments that allow it to push up and down on an air container.  It's not really an invention.  This doesn't mean it has no use, but I think it's far fetched to think it could perform the function of a ventilator.  The bazungu don't need to approve anything for it to be good.  They seem like tinkerers that could use a sponsor like someone mentioned.

I think Africa needs more folks like these guys. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »

That thing looks like a motor with mechanical attachments that allow it to push up and down on an air container.  It's not really an invention.  This doesn't mean it has no use, but I think it's far fetched to think it could perform the function of a ventilator.  The bazungu don't need to approve anything for it to be good.  They seem like tinkerers that could use a sponsor like someone mentioned.

I think Africa needs more folks like these guys.
it is an assembled prototype ..he was looking to make something that can be mass produced at a small cost .. If he can produce 100 of the for 80,000 that would be 800 a unit very much affordable and can save lives

I am donating because I believe we need to see something like this work

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 01:39:37 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/samuel.kairu/videos/pcb.10163387477400602/10163387502205602/?type=3&theater

That thing won't work for someone who needs a ventilator.  But with more power, it could form part of a handy pump for a well.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 02:06:56 AM »
They are not going to use that prototype. This was just saying hey we can doxthisxand this is the concept we think can work. Next is design something that can be produced and work and that meets kebs standards

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 02:36:37 AM »
They are not going to use that prototype. This was just saying hey we can doxthisxand this is the concept we think can work. Next is design something that can be produced and work and that meets kebs standards

Assume the final product is out, more polished and portable.  What problem would it be solving?  It cannot be at the tail end of a covid-19 infection.  At that point the patient's lungs are gone and he needs a ventilator.  Would it be in the back of an ambulance?  The bag looks like something I have seen paramedics use.  I am thinking it might be useful, but for something unrelated to what is being touted.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 03:19:17 AM »
I think they don't understand what a ventilator is.  One of those machines costs 25K USD(I think now closer to 40K because of demand). 
Which nyang'au is upping the price of a ventilator at this time?

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 03:43:15 AM »
I think they don't understand what a ventilator is.  One of those machines costs 25K USD(I think now closer to 40K because of demand). 
Which nyang'au is upping the price of a ventilator at this time?

Some manufacturers in the US.  I saw that on one of governor Cuomo’s pressers.  They were bidding state against state.  Soulless ghouls.

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 06:43:50 AM »

Assume the final product is out, more polished and portable.  What problem would it be solving?  It cannot be at the tail end of a covid-19 infection.  At that point the patient's lungs are gone and he needs a ventilator.  Would it be in the back of an ambulance?  The bag looks like something I have seen paramedics use.  I am thinking it might be useful, but for something unrelated to what is being touted.

They are promising ro produce 100 in a few weeks..it is a start even if the produce 5 and donate them it is a step forward
Donate $10 for heck of it..i am donating $100

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 07:50:56 AM »
I'll chip in too. I found and interesting article about it after I read this thread. Apparently, it's not just Kenya: It's a world-wide effort. It's going on even in some prestigious Western universities. They may not replace ventilators but perhaps lessen the number of people who are utterly reliant on them 247? Idk. I'm intrigued and choosing to hope for the best.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200401-covid-19-the-race-to-build-coronavirus-ventilators

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »
The guy is a tinkerer but he need more research and corraborate with people in medical field to understand the problem/requirements. The last thing you need is endangering people's lives.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 03:51:24 AM »
The guy is a tinkerer but he need more research and corraborate with people in medical field to understand the problem/requirements. The last thing you need is endangering people's lives.

he has a Biomedical engineer in his team. I have read their project proposal. They know what they are doing. They have really done their homework, All Kenyan engineers and Doctors are on their camp, that how they got funded for 98,000 with 24 hours. Kairu has proven to be a verstile kenyan own Dr Goddard of some sort, Kairu is like Pundit, he is very knowledgeable in all fields but very a political.

I am working day and night to get them funded. Please help. I have a go fund set up for them