Author Topic: The sewer that is nairobi  (Read 3887 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
The sewer that is nairobi
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:08:45 AM »
After visiting Nairobi I usually throw away most of my shoes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ntvkenya/status/1218804743675445248

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: The sewer that is nairobi
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 03:05:58 PM »
I was there in 2017 and was astounded by the deterioration. It full of beggars, chokora and cripples. Even core CBD Hilton, Intercon, Laico Regency... you can't walk around without confronting aggressive street kids. They are not like kitambo normal chokora who you hand a note and move on. They are mobile sewers - the stench strikes you 10 metres off. Westlands or Lavington gets better but CBD is just filthy - Sonko is a failure kabisa. City county govt needs to revive Awori homeless shelters and forcefully sequester the pests there. Noone should live in the streets.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 03:12:52 PM »
After visiting Nairobi I usually throw away most of my shoes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ntvkenya/status/1218804743675445248

Housing standards can fix this if only the governor was not a chokora himself. If you impose high standards - hygiene, space, parking, 3flr gorofa limit. Noone ia forced to live in Nairobi and if businesses cannot get staff in Nairobi they will  divest to the satellite towns. Impunity in housing standards causes this madness.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »
MCAs, MPs, Senators, … , Governors.   Given the basis on which the voters choose, they are getting exactly what they asked for.   Perhaps they will wake up one day.  In the meantime, they could themselves do a bit of cleaning up, or at least stop adding to the filth they wallow in.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 04:19:29 AM »
I was there in 2017 and was astounded by the deterioration. It full of beggars, chokora and cripples. Even core CBD Hilton, Intercon, Laico Regency... you can't walk around without confronting aggressive street kids. They are not like kitambo normal chokora who you hand a note and move on. They are mobile sewers - the stench strikes you 10 metres off. Westlands or Lavington gets better but CBD is just filthy - Sonko is a failure kabisa. City county govt needs to revive Awori homeless shelters and forcefully sequester the pests there. Noone should live in the streets.
Robina,
These are people who found themselves in a situation nobody ever wants. THey are not "pests". C'mon. Children born and then dumped in the streets and that is all they know. But Government has failed everyone miserably. Everyone cares about themselves, but they people who are supposed to get help. Kibaki tried but he did not put it into statute.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 06:35:01 AM »
Most of these are not dumped. They are delinquents that need to be detained in youth detention centers and later transferred to jail. Boniface mwangi was a chokora but his mum took him to approved school. I know 2 other guys with degrees now but had to in approved jails for over 10 years. One was from my village tycoon. He used to steal from his parents and just do delinquent stuff like break homes to scare owners. His dad got him jailed and put to an approved school where he graduated. These chokoras most are kids with oppositional defiant behavior and other behavioral health problems

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »
Tough love. My dad best friend had his thuggish son hunted down for weeks by paid dying squad. They finally got him shot him and was chained to knh hospital jailed for 9 years. The moron had a crackhead. He continued stealing and in 2003 his dad got police to finish him off and burried him in langsta in unmarked grave

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »
On Nairobi filth I see why people have a very short life expectancy in slumming slummish areas. You will die like a pig if you live jn these sewage rivers ..that why sonko deserve a jm solution

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 03:42:46 PM »
Nairobi is practically a swampy slum- with rains it is just a shithole. The Chinese road contractors even with their experience in making functional sewerage seem overwhelmed. 

The sewerage problem requires investment in the magnitude of SGR billions - for now seems not a priority - even for newer towns - they are even messier.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Nairobi is practically a swampy slum- with rains it is just a shithole. The Chinese road contractors even with their experience in making functional sewerage seem overwhelmed. 

The sewerage problem requires investment in the magnitude of SGR billions - for now seems not a priority - even for newer towns - they are even messier.

Yes relocating all non essential govt offices may be a start, Send them to Isiolo

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Since early 1990s the whole system of orderly living went down the drain. Poor planning and corruption and just ineptitude

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »

Overpopulation is obviously a problem.  Infrastructure has never matched population growth since the white man lowered his flag and left.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »

Overpopulation is obviously a problem.  Infrastructure has never matched population growth since the white man lowered his flag and left.
Absolutely. Good management left with mzungu

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 07:31:56 PM »
It's literally a shit city:

Nairobi City Water and Sewerage Company cannot account for the disposal of over 66 percent of human waste.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018-07-05-where-does-your-shit-go-66-of-nairobi-human-waste-unaccounted-for/

“Only 34 per cent of waste water and faecal matter in Nairobi is safely managed while 66 per cent is not,” said Ms Kabaria.

https://www.nation.co.ke/health/broken-sewerage-system/3476990-5161464-uqotx0/index.html

But, hey, we do have a shiny, new rail system; the economy is "booming", and we are a middle-class country; dot, dot, dot.   Things have never been better, I hear.  So, why worry about a bit of shit here and there, some water-borne killers, etc.   

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 07:33:13 PM »
Infrastructure has never matched population growth since the white man lowered his flag and left.

At the 1:00 minute-mark here:

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
Where is NEMA?
I thought this would be a priority rather than chasing mama mboga plastic bags

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 08:20:50 PM »
Precisely. We need huge investment in sewerage and water. It easy to clean it up after that. But now even water for drinking is being rationed.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2020, 01:54:50 PM »
Robina,
These are people who found themselves in a situation nobody ever wants. THey are not "pests". C'mon. Children born and then dumped in the streets and that is all they know. But Government has failed everyone miserably. Everyone cares about themselves, but they people who are supposed to get help. Kibaki tried but he did not put it into statute.

No - they are pests because they suck everyone's blood - fresh air, space, security, scenic beauty is dead cause of them. There are street homes Awori built and Sonko has failed to sustain.. In Buru Buru, Dandora, etc. They should be forcefully sequestered there until they reform. They are delinquents as Socrates says - why flee from the shelters to defigure the streets? They are not helpless or abused - they are the abusers. Roaches, leeches, urchins are plain English words that perfectly describe them. It's not abuse but the truth.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 02:01:36 PM »
Tough love. My dad best friend had his thuggish son hunted down for weeks by paid dying squad. They finally got him shot him and was chained to knh hospital jailed for 9 years. The moron had a crackhead. He continued stealing and in 2003 his dad got police to finish him off and burried him in langsta in unmarked grave

Ai Boss - how many thugs or delinquents are there in your circle? Does it say something about you? :)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2020, 02:18:59 PM »
Who knows of Sanergy? Are they visible? They do sanitation- as a- service mobile plastic toilets. They have IoT solutions for toilets with hidden sensor at the door - when 50 people use it they mark it for disposal using sewer trucks around the Nairobi slums. Mathare, Mukuru, etc - not in Kibra - cartels run sewer business there. Think they are expanding to Kisumu. They recycle the waste at Kinanie, Machakos County to make fertiliser and animal feeds. They charge 850/- per toilet per month - which can be shared in a plot I guess. So 20 folks can cough 40 bob each for toilet service.

http://www.sanergy.com/