Author Topic: Away from the noise what is the path, process, endgame of BBI  (Read 1345 times)

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Away from the noise what is the path, process, endgame of BBI
« on: November 24, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
Where from? What next? What for? How?

I see all this talk about it will pass. It will extend Uhuru rule but can't wrap my head on it. Pass as what?

The NARA accord which circumvented the then conshitution, happened in the brink of civil war and economic collapse which worried the billionnaires.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Away from the noise what is the path, process, endgame of BBI
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 12:00:51 PM »
There are two theories as to the BBI endgame.
1) Uhuru is entertaining extending his term through a new constitutional dispensation - Prime Ministership.
2) Uhuru is stringing along Raila so he can finish his term without makelele & also doesn't want to become lame duck so will play the game.

I am inclined to believe #2 is happening here. To change constitution Uhuru would have to engage politically. He has disengaged - and is not ready for a referendum. Without a referendum - any changes to laws or constitution will be cosmetic. BBI will just be smoke and mirrors.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »
I heard Kutunny talk of a Draft Bill after another round of public consultations blah de bleh.
The situation as it is

However, the bill by Ndaragua MP Joseph Kioni, who chairs the CIOC, is a copy-pasted version of the elections law and does not fully address inadequacies.

It does not state whether a referendum draft bill should be amended by Parliament or whether a committee of experts should be established to fine-tune it before it is taken to county assemblies.

This means that any bill as redrafted by the electoral commission will continue to remain cast in stone.

It is this fate that faced the Punguza Mizigo initiative by the Thirdway Alliance, which proposed to reduce the number of MPs but flopped after county assemblies rejected it saying it was vague.

https://www.nation.co.ke/news/MPs-craft-law-to-guide-referenda/1056-5335294-6flc4g/index.html
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 03:10:03 PM »
Perhaps Pundit and gout won't need to wear No tee shirt afterall. Ruto blowing hot and cold like watermelon

Ruto ready for PM post - allies
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2019-11-25-ruto-ready-for-pm-post-allies/
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 03:23:12 PM »
Going by Ruto restlessness and tantrums am inclined to believe theory 1. His crew are already going for Uhuru jugular

https://hivisasa.com/posts/44687207-resubmission-president-kenyatta-wants-to-extend-his-term-through-bbi-keiyo-south-mp?source=feed

There are two theories as to the BBI endgame.
1) Uhuru is entertaining extending his term through a new constitutional dispensation - Prime Ministership.
2) Uhuru is stringing along Raila so he can finish his term without makelele & also doesn't want to become lame duck so will play the game.

I am inclined to believe #2 is happening here. To change constitution Uhuru would have to engage politically. He has disengaged - and is not ready for a referendum. Without a referendum - any changes to laws or constitution will be cosmetic. BBI will just be smoke and mirrors.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527