Author Topic: Ngeno - If Uhuru want to extend power - we will fight to the grave  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Ngeno - If Uhuru want to extend power - we will fight to the grave
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 11:03:06 AM »
Unless you want to limit Exec PM tenure. Which is ok but unconventional. Why Putin? - he is a dictator more like Erdogan - the reverse to what BBI is doing. Angela Merkel is in her 4th term - 20 years. Bibi Netanyahu is on his 8th or something. Parliamentary is about equity and accountability. Every region deserves a shot which the direct vote does not allow. PM gets to be grilled, sued or subpoenaed by courts, fired by simple majority and generally held accountable. No hiding in SH or "symbol of national unity" - as in Uhuru now. If it is difficult or stressful he is welcome to quit. Kenya is not short of talent.

Now - if the PM is not impeachable - then either he is very good or not accountable. Which is the very imperialism BBI means to end. Raila is entertaining Uhuru 2.0 as a price for the BBI reforms. Change is not free. I support him and it would be so stupid to lose Uhuru's support. It is silly to conflate the tree for the forest. Parliamentary will be competitive and this is just another NARC or Jubilee pact. Once we have a better system, it is an open arena that ends the duopoly of power.

I am with Pundit on this one! Drawing the Red line on Term Limits on anyone. Even if BBI is comprehensive on other issues, they'd better not piggyback "Term Extension" on BBI in any sort or form...M7 Style or Vladimir Style. We know that demon and we must reject it in no uncertain terms. We shouldn't even be having this discussion. 
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
If we limit governors - we need to limit anybody with executive powers. It no brainer.  Otherwise we will have prime ministers for life as they entrench themselves. Impeachment is nonsense if a PM has some political skills.

PM = Duale's aka Majority Leader - if we are retaining an elected president. We use to grill ministers and nothing really ever came out of it. Heck we even had Raila as Prime Minister - NOTHING CAME OUT OF IT - and he was in parliament daily & had appointed half the cabinet.

We cannot just become a developed issues -based country like UK with a stroke of a pen. It will take many years for us to nurture our democracy.

Unless you want to limit Exec PM tenure. Which is ok but unconventional. Why Putin? - he is a dictator more like Erdogan - the reverse to what BBI is doing. Angela Merkel is in her 4th term - 20 years. Bibi Netanyahu is on his 8th or something. Parliamentary is about equity and accountability. Every region deserves a shot which the direct vote does not allow. PM gets to be grilled, sued or subpoenaed by courts, fired by simple majority and generally held accountable. No hiding in SH or "symbol of national unity" - as in Uhuru now. If it is difficult or stressful he is welcome to quit. Kenya is not short of talent.

Now - if the PM is not impeachable - then either he is very good or not accountable. Which is the very imperialism BBI means to end. Raila is entertaining Uhuru 2.0 as a price for the BBI reforms. Change is not free. I support him and it would be so stupid to lose Uhuru's support. It is silly to conflate the tree for the forest. Parliamentary will be competitive and this is just another NARC or Jubilee pact. Once we have a better system, it is an open arena that ends the duopoly of power.

I am with Pundit on this one! Drawing the Red line on Term Limits on anyone. Even if BBI is comprehensive on other issues, they'd better not piggyback "Term Extension" on BBI in any sort or form...M7 Style or Vladimir Style. We know that demon and we must reject it in no uncertain terms. We shouldn't even be having this discussion. 

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 03:14:02 PM »
Kenya was parliamentary for a year before Jomo brought the imperial presidency. Presidents Jomo, Moi, Kibaki  were less accountable than Uhuru.

We don't want Duale or Russia - we want UK, Germany - proper parliamentary. Ceremonial president is appointed for a fixed term say 10 years. It could even rotate countywise as in Malaysia. The PM loses the glamor and becomes a job. Moi never faced off with Kibaki on the floor or even TV debate. Kibaki never faced Raila. Uhuru answers questions or issues press statements only when he wishes. He is above the law. That needs to end.

There is nothing evolutionary or mature about accountability. Is Kenya too young to be accountable? It's an oxymoron. The equivalent of saying saving and investment is for the rich. Or exercising is for the fit and healthy.

You need parliamentary BECAUSE you are poor, tribal and corrupt.

If we limit governors - we need to limit anybody with executive powers. It no brainer.  Otherwise we will have prime ministers for life as they entrench themselves. Impeachment is nonsense if a PM has some political skills.

PM = Duale's aka Majority Leader - if we are retaining an elected president. We use to grill ministers and nothing really ever came out of it. Heck we even had Raila as Prime Minister - NOTHING CAME OUT OF IT - and he was in parliament daily & had appointed half the cabinet.

We cannot just become a developed issues -based country like UK with a stroke of a pen. It will take many years for us to nurture our democracy.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
There is nothing evolutionary or mature about accountability. Is Kenya too young to be accountable? It's an oxymoron. The equivalent of saying saving and investment is for the rich. Or exercising is for the fit and healthy.

You need parliamentary BECAUSE you are poor, tribal and corrupt.

I agree. :D That's a good analogy.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
As long as Kenyatta Uhuru is planning to retire we can debate but let me try to extend his stay at his peril

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2019, 07:13:06 PM »
Your boy will need to square with Raila in non-Gema. Before taking on Kenyatta where he stands zero chance. I have read that he is capitulating. Smart.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2019, 04:02:48 PM »
People pushing Uhuru to stay on are his family and the hangers-on around him. Personally he knows he has nothing to offer Kenyans, but some people are trying to convince him Kenya will cease to exist without him. In fact it is the opposite, Kenya will cease to exist in case he tries to hang on to power. He has no backing from his homeground and cannot depend on old Baba to give him enough support. Baba is a chameleon and can change route in the last minute if he notices that is a mission impossible.

Karua warns Uhuru
https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001350320/forget-pm-post-karua-tells-uhuru

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »
Even now Karua is coming out making noise. She still has a grudge to grind with Uhuru. She believes she should have been the presidential candidate for Mt Kenya in 2013. Most likely she wouls have done a much more better job than the incompetent Uhuru, but her role in the 2007/2008 PEV shows she would not hesitate to become a ethnic warlord.

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2001350320/forget-pm-post-karua-tells-uhuru

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
It's Raila propping up Uhuru 2.0 - as the price of reforming the system. Without Uhuru holding onto Gema - Raila will be floored by Ruto. So I see it as an opportunity cost - you get a better system and give Ruto the middle finger.

With the opaque, unaccoutable presidency - there is no difference between Uhuru and Ruto - and you are stuck with the tribal duopoly and electoral disruption. Uhuru 2.0 is a small price to repair the system.

People pushing Uhuru to stay on are his family and the hangers-on around him. Personally he knows he has nothing to offer Kenyans, but some people are trying to convince him Kenya will cease to exist without him. In fact it is the opposite, Kenya will cease to exist in case he tries to hang on to power. He has no backing from his homeground and cannot depend on old Baba to give him enough support. Baba is a chameleon and can change route in the last minute if he notices that is a mission impossible.