Author Topic: The Nation and Incitement  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
The Nation and Incitement
« on: September 29, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
Two stories have caught my attention in the Aga Khan owned rag. One writes about Raila being invited to lecture and meet US officials in the US. Another speaks of "Raila Wants Sharing of Jobs to be in Referendum".

To a casual reader, this is plain and innocent information. Let us look at it with some depth:

In the Lectures story, it is rather plain. The concluding statement says it all: The trip comes at a time President Barack Obama has begun opening up to President Uhuru Kenyatta.

Need I explain the undercurrents in the statement? The street readers will get their message raw and simple: Raila is going to the US to ruin the good relations between Uhuru and Obama. You can have your own interpretation if you will.

In the second, it starts and end with the headline: Raila wants sharing of jobs to be in referendum

Remember Ngengi Muigai's speech at Mungai's funeral? The image of Raila demanding to share power. The fact that Kibaki was forced to share power which to most GEMA was won fairly and to me and others was stolen, remains a running theme of certain discussions between Nyooba people. Let me try to be fair: The body of the story is balanced and informative (within the poor reporting standards of our newspapers). However the headline is totally misleading.

I will finish with this: Drug barons now use car bazaars as stores
It is accompanies by a huge photo of County Commissioner Marwa and Governor Joho. The entire story does not contain the word "Joho" nor is any references made to the said Joho. Not a word. Yet his photo is prominently displayed under that stigmatizing headline.

Now if you wish to see more of the Nation's games, start examining the photos of Raila and other proponents of the referendum as we move closer to the vote. Just like Saba Saba, the photos will be close, will pronounce the birthmarks and other blemishes. This will be contrasted with airbrushed photos of Uhuru.

Links:
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/politics/Raila-wants-sharing-of-jobs-to-be-in-referendum/-/1064/2468188/-/11i6qem/-/index.html

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Raila-invited-to-the-US-to-give-speeches/-/1056/2468206/-/f7c1hg/-/index.html

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Mombasa-Drugs-Trafficking-Car-Bazaars/-/1056/2466660/-/en3e4z/-/index.html
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: The Nation and Incitement
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:53:27 PM »
Edit: Mombasa Drug Trafficking Car Bazaar.

I think you're reading too much btw the lines.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
I am not sure some of the demands they are making will change anything.  Like the ethnic quota in government positions.  It's already in the law.  Yet kamwana can operate like it does not exist.  The solution should be to strip as much from the national government as possible and assign to counties. 

National government should be a shell that does what counties cannot absolutely do.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »
Precisely. The constitution alreadys demand all public appointment should reflect the face of kenya. Ultimately the root of all evils is disconnected national gov that operate with impunity and has failed completely in even the most basic of it's service.

Raila and his Okoa kenya if they are really interested in finding solution should just focus on DEVOLUTION or FEDERALISM. Devolve more functions; devolve more funds; devolve more power;

We should leave national gov like you say with things that cannot be devolved. Armed forces. Immigration. Foreign Policy.

But you know Raila thinks he stands a chance in the future and wouldn't want to find an empty national gov.

I am not sure some of the demands they are making will change anything.  Like the ethnic quota in government positions.  It's already in the law.  Yet kamwana can operate like it does not exist.  The solution should be to strip as much from the national government as possible and assign to counties. 

National government should be a shell that does what counties cannot absolutely do.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
That is not what CORD and OKOA is demanding. That is the misrepresentation of the issues by a reporter (due to poor standards or partisanship).

The focus is expected to be on a mechanism to strengthen the "Face of Kenya" appointments in public service. Just like the National Land Commission has to be strengthened by clearly stating its powers and those of the ministry of lands.

There is a massive media campaign against both OKOA and CoG Pesa Mashinani. Sadly the organizers remain asleep as the onslaught  goes on.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
But you know Raila thinks he stands a chance in the future and wouldn't want to find an empty national gov.
This has been my point of departure with them. If you recall me saying just that when they mutilated the draft in Naivasha.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
Moi wanted majimbo until he became VP. When his power was threaten in 90s he wanted Majimbo back. The same can be said for Kibaki..he wanted new constitution until he became pork. Raila was like that...during NARA and knowing he had a real shot..he was okay with current constitution. Right now Ruto is biggest enemy of devolution...yet when he was out of power..he was it's champion.

It all myopic short term posturing.

At least for now we have a second blank of governors and MCAs..

This has been my point of departure with them. If you recall me saying just that when they mutilated the draft in Naivasha.