Author Topic: State of economy one Dr Ndii  (Read 11117 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: State of economy one Dr Ndii
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 02:25:38 AM »
You are misunderstanding Dr Ndii Robina. He is saying the illness is govt spendinf led growth instead of focusing on increasing productivity with the economy that serves majority. His prescription is jubilee should have focused on agriculture and smes and other much needed infrastructures like sewer lines instead of a few big infrastructure projects..he illustrates how govt borrowing has shifted 100 billion from smes to govt ...i agree about economics being very dicey and needs a lot of debating or policy shifts plus political will to implement..it is pseudo science the onky way to know if an economic policy is going to work is to test in small scale and then scale it up ...i think people just hate Ndii politics and thus do not like his ideas.

One thing about @ndii is that he has years of field exprience and is a data driven type of guy so any thing he says is backed with this..

HK is right that Ndii is close to govt economists.

He believes what he is saying is common knowledge with govt policy makers is only that there is no political will ..uhuru is focused on corporate private sector growth he wrongly believed that he could leap frog kenya development using this model.

I get this. What Ndii doesn't say is the shift in capital models. From domestic to global. From bank to VC. Niche to commodity. Where are Uber, Jumia, M-kopa, Tala getting capital? Money, business and jobs are still there just in digital and new paradigms. Cottage industry and micros need Sacco's.

Infrastructure is infrastructure. Investing in metro subway or sewer system in place of cross-country SGR is just a bigger return. There would be no new jobs from that either. Jobs should be created by the private sector - and they still are - but by Uber, Twiga Foods or Cellulant - not bank cashiers or clerks. Mama mboga, manamba and brick banks will soon go extinct. The strugglers are deadwood who must reinvent themselves. Who needs pre-cap loans really? - such costly capital - the very MSME and hustlers that pushed for caps? With the Spark Fund, Savannah, Fanisi, etc. Hata Uwezo Fund ni VC.  :) Banks can't bridge Sacco- to VC gap.

We should debate how to expand VC sector - not state capture or bending backwards to subsidize old-school models. Traditional banking and logbook loans - is similar to sugar or maize farming. Shape up or ship out.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
Ndii's point is that treasury knows the solution but don't have the willpower to implement the solution. Everyone from CBK governor to Former economic adviser to president has pointed out the effects of going on debt binge and implications on the private sector. I believe some of the people who're now in treasury were Ndii's lecturers at UON.
We have a subdued private sector that's not able to fully take advantage of digital and demographics dividends. Kenya has massive potential the question is what type of policy needed to harness that potential.

Ndii is wrong - Treasury does not know nor have a solution. The state has limited levers to control the economy. Every successful nation has a dominant private sector - and it is a handy excuse to say the interest cap is the only impediment to growth. If there was sterling talent in Kenya - capital would trickle in via VC and FDI. The world is flat and the whining MSMEs are mostly brick & mortar models. Agric has been drifting since the 70s - when tea & coffee commodity exchanges premiered on the globe. After the "boom" they commoditized and the slaggards collapsed. Real estate, travel, oil & gas - any globalized sector soon separates the wheat from the chaff. Capital is global - Bitpesa or Cellulant has $50m from mzungu pensioners. Just as digital - demographic dividend will kick in regardless of interest caps. Cause low dependency ratio means more savings, better education, better manpower - more capital flows to tap it.

Ndiiconomics are antiques - outdated stuff. Same ideas since Julius Caesar hit the Mediterranean to trade ships for grains and the Egyptian bride. It is why we grapple with the reality of mjengo crew tarmacking along the shiny rail - excellent foot utility :) - cause everywhere else is mud, sewage and congestion - despite pie-in-the-sky GDP and such metrics.

In short - Ndii is not biased, he is incompetent. It is a good idea to squeeze the traditional MSMSE to build infrastructure for a period. Cause deserving ventures will still attract capital easily. I principally disagree with GoK mispriorities, poor execution and runaway sleaze.
The problem isn't capping of interest, the problem is runaway budget deficits. Credit growth started falling way before capping of rates, rate caps only exacerbated the situation. Its classic crowding out of private sector. Yes kenyans need to innovate in virtually all sectors, innovation and R&D cost money. We need a credit market that supports those innovations and expansion needed. VC will invest in the big markets not on SMEs. For example twiga as platform is getting funding but the small traders they sell to aren't . Its akin to Amazon getting funding but amazon sellers being hamstrung. The ill advised borrowing is hurting those traders that needed for the platform to function. So actually Ndii diagnoses is collect.  To spur this economy we need CBK to cut bank reserves and to lower CBR on the monetary side. Then on the fiscal side to slash the budget and lower tax rates.   

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »
Robina
You think economics is a antiquated field? All I am hearing you two talk is a lot of wishy washy stuff that are neither finance or economics. Here the economic question is simple. How do you increase productivity? You have i think 15 million qorkerz underemployed and in low productivity jobs. You want to increase their productivity to create more ? How do you do it? We did the infrastructure thing it has grown govt spending and not solved this problem

That's what I understand Ndii to be saying.  How and why nobody is exploiting the potential of all those bodies and brains to the full.  A relevant question regardless of the level of available technology.

My take on Ndii is diagnosis with neither prescription nor medication. Why should we trust his diagnosis?

He says he doesn't know.  But he also seems to be of the view that it is something that cannot be fixed by the current crew, because they have neither the will nor the momentum that a new group would have.

That aside a trusted doctor can indeed diagnose a terminal illness and advise you to prepare for death  :D.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
My take on Ndii is diagnosis with neither prescription nor medication. Why should we trust his diagnosis?

He says he doesn't know.  But he also seems to be of the view that it is something that cannot be fixed by the current crew, because they have neither the will nor the momentum that a new group would have.

That aside a trusted doctor can indeed diagnose a terminal illness and advise you to prepare for death  :D.

The hapless doctor - that's only once in a while - not a practice. Ndii never has a prescription nor medication - so his diagnoses are never to be probed further. You cannot trust what you cannot validate.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
Economic system just like other systems are not hard to understand and explain. Most Kenyans are just reckless and stupid like Uhuruto in their economic approach. Everybody is on the debt treadmill to finance nonsense like mafuta ya gari or pombe - Tala, Okash, Mshwari and Okolea, while they are feeding useless quality shit to their kids.  This explains the death of micro enterprises as we do not save to cover shocks such as interest rate caps.

Corruption kills innovations. Either directly as with Little shuttle/SWVL buses or through taxation madness in case of Betin/Sportpesa; Africa Spirit/Keroche.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 04:14:28 AM »
Robina
Dr Ndii agrees with you that economics pseudo science and it's politics. He believes without political power technorants cannot be able to influence policy change. He says the reason why narc did well the first few years was because kibaki was indisposed most of those years. So the policy makers were able to fight crony capitalists and take hold of crucial dockets and do the recovery polcy change necessary. As soon as kibaki recovered he got recaptured by cryony capitalists and changed course. He says fhat in order to win cbk backing of their policy they had to fire mulei and bring in Nahason nyaga and later we ended with njuguna ..

On kibaki He says that kibaki was a deficit running finance Minister who was mediocre ..he cites kenren and halal projects ...if you come to think of it kibaki didn't do anything spectacular in all the years as finance minister. He also says that kibaki had kenyatta ear and was last to speak in almost all cabinet meetings so if he was a performer he had the leverage to get things done. But didnt

What is his prescription? Regime change. He believes uhuru is practicing cronycapitalism via state capture...one thing about kenyatta s is due to ngina being a miser they are very mean and want everything for themselves.

Without regime changr he says we may have to choose between two evils kiambu mafia or ruto

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 05:00:26 AM »
Ndii's point is that treasury knows the solution but don't have the willpower to implement the solution. Everyone from CBK governor to Former economic adviser to president has pointed out the effects of going on debt binge and implications on the private sector. I believe some of the people who're now in treasury were Ndii's lecturers at UON.
We have a subdued private sector that's not able to fully take advantage of digital and demographics dividends. Kenya has massive potential the question is what type of policy needed to harness that potential.

Ndii is wrong - Treasury does not know nor have a solution. The state has limited levers to control the economy. Every successful nation has a dominant private sector - and it is a handy excuse to say the interest cap is the only impediment to growth. If there was sterling talent in Kenya - capital would trickle in via VC and FDI. The world is flat and the whining MSMEs are mostly brick & mortar models. Agric has been drifting since the 70s - when tea & coffee commodity exchanges premiered on the globe. After the "boom" they commoditized and the slaggards collapsed. Real estate, travel, oil & gas - any globalized sector soon separates the wheat from the chaff. Capital is global - Bitpesa or Cellulant has $50m from mzungu pensioners. Just as digital - demographic dividend will kick in regardless of interest caps. Cause low dependency ratio means more savings, better education, better manpower - more capital flows to tap it.

Ndiiconomics are antiques - outdated stuff. Same ideas since Julius Caesar hit the Mediterranean to trade ships for grains and the Egyptian bride. It is why we grapple with the reality of mjengo crew tarmacking along the shiny rail - excellent foot utility :) - cause everywhere else is mud, sewage and congestion - despite pie-in-the-sky GDP and such metrics.

In short - Ndii is not biased, he is incompetent. It is a good idea to squeeze the traditional MSMSE to build infrastructure for a period. Cause deserving ventures will still attract capital easily. I principally disagree with GoK mispriorities, poor execution and runaway sleaze.
The problem isn't capping of interest, the problem is runaway budget deficits. Credit growth started falling way before capping of rates, rate caps only exacerbated the situation. Its classic crowding out of private sector. Yes kenyans need to innovate in virtually all sectors, innovation and R&D cost money. We need a credit market that supports those innovations and expansion needed. VC will invest in the big markets not on SMEs. For example twiga as platform is getting funding but the small traders they sell to aren't . Its akin to Amazon getting funding but amazon sellers being hamstrung. The ill advised borrowing is hurting those traders that needed for the platform to function. So actually Ndii diagnoses is collect.  To spur this economy we need CBK to cut bank reserves and to lower CBR on the monetary side. Then on the fiscal side to slash the budget and lower tax rates.   

Alleluia. Runaway govt spending is the biggest problem in Kenya. It'll be the new Greece. Keep raising taxes on the middle class till they can't afford underwear.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 05:02:57 AM »

The hapless doctor - that's only once in a while - not a practice. Ndii never has a prescription nor medication - so his diagnoses are never to be probed further. You cannot trust what you cannot validate.

AM losing you Robina. Validate??? Its already been validated that spend like a drunk, bills will pile...

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 06:33:50 AM »
Robina
Dr Ndii agrees with you that economics pseudo science and it's politics. He believes without political power technorants cannot be able to influence policy change. He says the reason why narc did well the first few years was because kibaki was indisposed most of those years. So the policy makers were able to fight crony capitalists and take hold of crucial dockets and do the recovery polcy change necessary. As soon as kibaki recovered he got recaptured by cryony capitalists and changed course. He says fhat in order to win cbk backing of their policy they had to fire mulei and bring in Nahason nyaga and later we ended with njuguna ..

On kibaki He says that kibaki was a deficit running finance Minister who was mediocre ..he cites kenren and halal projects ...if you come to think of it kibaki didn't do anything spectacular in all the years as finance minister. He also says that kibaki had kenyatta ear and was last to speak in almost all cabinet meetings so if he was a performer he had the leverage to get things done. But didnt

What is his prescription? Regime change. He believes uhuru is practicing cronycapitalism via state capture...one thing about kenyatta s is due to ngina being a miser they are very mean and want everything for themselves.

Without regime changr he says we may have to choose between two evils kiambu mafia or ruto

Ndii diagnosis -
a. technocrats perform if given freehand
b. Kibaki the Finance Minister and President was never a performer
c. technocrats delivered in the early NARC days

The Treasury is a political function so I will restrict "technocrats" to the CBK. If Andy Mulei delivered in 2003-07 due to the indisposed Kibaki giving him a freehand, what stops the CBK from performing today? It is more independent under the new constitution and the celebrated Dr Patrick Njoroge, no? Policy bodies exist to stop state capture and ensure stability over political tides or electoral seesaws. It was never Kibaki's job to do what Ndii is faulting of him. Equally, Uhuru job is the greater GDP aka fiscal policy. "State capture" is squarely CBK's fault as the economic police. Mobile loan shylocks have been allowed by the CBK despite the interest cap - not by the Treasury. Even the dodgy forex bureaus at JKIA monopolized by Mama Ngina are de jure a CBK item.

Another analogy on state capture: in telco, CA is responsible for Safcom state capture, not the ICT Ministry. The general law is there but declaring monopoly and such policies are CA domain.

Monetary policy - operational quacks & policing. Interest rates & reserve ratio. Pure economics. Are people playing by the rules? Smaller impact on the economy. CBK job
Fiscal policy - overall economic management and bigger picture. Budget & taxes. Political economics. How is the economy doing? Bigger impact on the economy. Treasury job

Ndii prescription - regime change aka revolution is not a practical solution so his story ends at diagnosis. For instance, did Ndii or the technocracy propose any changes to clause 231 to the BBI, Punguza Mizigo or the 2010 CoE? Any push from his lot to reform the CBK Act esp to effect clause 231(3) on CBK independence? The technocrats at CBK have only so much power even if independent. This is by design and the global phenomenon. Real power rests with the Treasury and politicians.

In short - Ndii cannot be snide from the ivory tower and claim to know better. That's technocracy. Think tanks. Talk shops. He must fold his sleeves, square it out with Uhuru or Njoroge or MJ for power - then run the economy. Else he is just a columnist and one more blogger like we Nipateans.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 07:10:48 AM »
CBk and Treasury I have to work together. Anyway Ndii campaigned for opposition and lost so there was no room for his ideas. Uhuru came with economic policy of public spending via infrastructure as the anchor of growth. He had similar problems of money in the first years of his govt due to usual elections slow down. Uhuru was determined to pursue his polocy and treasury was tasked in making it happen. This is the second time in less than 10 years ke is implementing austerity. If Uhuru is lucky fo secure more funding for agendazero he is going to abandon austerity and go back on spending binge. As for @ndii he has made peace wjth true fact he will never get political power to be implement his ideas.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
Ndii toxic politics appeal to noone. He contributed to the NASA loss. It shows his poverty of practice. Strictly a technocrat. The economics you say is pseudoscience needs politicians - a breed much better than technocrats.

Uhuru's borrow & build is only wrong partially. Good intentions - poor execution - mostly in the infrastructure priorities. He copied Kibaki Nyayo without some strategy rigor. Congested Nairobi is the biggest infrastructure deficit in Kenya - it literally slashes productivity of the biggest economic center. No brainer. Bypasses and flyovers can only do so much as advanced cities have shown. Followed by rural road network of murrams - not SGR - affects agriculture. Then power efficiency & cost - fix the power in productive areas - industrial areas in Nairobi, Thika, Mombasa, Nakuru, etc. Not last-miles that increase cost and blackout. Then labor cost - this is out of GoK hands with new katiba. TIVET is great. Then credit. The soft issues of permits, registration, taxes & SEZs, etc - "ease of doing business" - are a distant fourth or fifth. Manufacturing needs a few more things like banning mitumba, used cars or protectionism. Sewage systems & housing that Ndii alludes to doesn't feature.

Ndii's views make little sense to me. Credit access or capital is a far inferior factor to right infrastructure, energy and labor. He has it backwards.

Big 4 - not all about the economy. Food, housing, health are social GoK responsibilities. Manufacturing is the only economic hard nut. BBI NHS and REB proposals - if the gossip is true - feed into Big Two. So it is dicey that BBI is a distraction. I don't see Big Zero unless shit hits the fun.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 10:49:00 AM »
No need to complicate this. Gov has a job to do. National gov to provide about 34 functions. County gov to provide 17 functions. I wish gov could restrict itself to that. For instance Uhuru job it provide security, roads, electricity, water,social services including education, welfare. I expect my governor to make sure health, county roads, alcohol control, agriclutural servies are available.If they focus on that without getting into mumbo-jumbo of growing the economy - then we will get somewhere.

Otherwise if running the country was economics - Dr Ndii would be our president.

One wishes there was an index to track government services...ease of doing is good start...but something that track say all 50-60 gov services - and we can use to evaluate gov. For example what is their score on security? Their score on quality of roads?

Otherwise economics or GDP - can be distorting - esp if for example - we start shipping oil - gov would certainly claim credit for a natural resource.

Ndii toxic politics appeal to noone. He contributed to the NASA loss. It shows his poverty of practice. Strictly a technocrat. The economics you say is pseudoscience needs politicians - a breed much better than technocrats.

Uhuru's borrow & build is only wrong partially. Good intentions - poor execution - mostly in the infrastructure priorities. He copied Kibaki Nyayo without some strategy rigor. Congested Nairobi is the biggest infrastructure deficit in Kenya - it literally slashes productivity of the biggest economic center. No brainer. Bypasses and flyovers can only do so much as advanced cities have shown. Followed by rural road network of murrams - not SGR - affects agriculture. Then power efficiency & cost - fix the power in productive areas - industrial areas in Nairobi, Thika, Mombasa, Nakuru, etc. Not last-miles that increase cost and blackout. Then labor cost - this is out of GoK hands with new katiba. TIVET is great. Then credit. The soft issues of permits, registration, taxes & SEZs, etc - "ease of doing business" - are a distant fourth or fifth. Manufacturing needs a few more things like banning mitumba, used cars or protectionism. Sewage systems & housing that Ndii alludes to doesn't feature.

Ndii's views make little sense to me. Credit access or capital is a far inferior factor to right infrastructure, energy and labor. He has it backwards.

Big 4 - not all about the economy. Food, housing, health are social GoK responsibilities. Manufacturing is the only economic hard nut. BBI NHS and REB proposals - if the gossip is true - feed into Big Two. So it is dicey that BBI is a distraction. I don't see Big Zero unless shit hits the fun.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 10:52:32 AM »
This is Uhuru's Job.

Function of National Government Part 1 (Fourth Schedule, Article 185 (2), 186 (1) and 187 (2)

1. Foreign affairs, foreign policy and international trade.
2. The use of international water and water resources.
3. Immigration and citizenship
4. The relationship between religion and state.
5. Language policy and the promotion of official and local languages.
6. National defence and the use of national defence services.
7. Police services, including-

(a)  The setting of standards of recruitment, training of police and use of police services;

(b)  Criminal law; and

(c)   Correctional services.

8. Courts.
9. National economic policy and planning.
10. Monetary policy, currency, banking (including central banking), the incorporation and regulation of banking, insurance and           financial corporations.
11. National statistics and data on population, the economy and society generally.
12. Intellectual property rights
13. Labour standards.
14. Consumer protection, including standards for social security and professional pension plans.
15. Education policy, standards, curricula, examinations and the granting of university charters.
16. Universities, tertiary educational institutions and other institutions of research and higher learning and primary schools, special 17. education, secondary schools and special education institutions.
18. Promotion of sports and sports education.
19. Transport and communications, including, in particular-

(a)  Road traffic;

(b)  The construction and operation of national trunk roads;

(c)   Standard for the construction and maintenance of other roads by counties;

(d)  Railways;

(e)   Pipelines;

(f)    Marine navigations;

(g)  Civil aviation;

(h) Space travel;

(i)    Postal services;

(j)    Telecommunication; and

(k)  Radio television broadcasting.

National public works.
20. Housing policy.

General principles of land planning and the co-ordination of planning by the counties.
22. Protection of the environment and natural resources with a view to establishing a durable and sustainable system of development, including, in particular-

(a)  Fishing, hunting and gathering;

(b)  Protection of animal and wildlife;

(c)   Water protection, securing sufficient residual water, hydraulic engineering and the safety of dams; and

(d)  Energy policy.

23. National referral health facilities.

24. Disaster management.

Ancient and historical monument of national importance.
26. National election.

Health policy.
28. Agricultural policy.

29. Veterinary policy.

30. Energy policy including electricity and gas reticulation and energy regulation.

Capacity building and technical assistance to the counties.
32. Public investment.

33. National betting, casinos and other forms of gambling.

34. Tourism policy and development.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 02:44:07 PM »

AM losing you Robina. Validate??? Its already been validated that spend like a drunk, bills will pile...

Spend spree is the Ndii diagnosis - his fix is a reversal of this policy or direction. The decries breakneck "borrow & build". No regime has been frugal since the 80s. Jubilee problem is priority - Moi was hamstrung by donors - Kibaki spent big yet no crisis happened as Ndii posits. The difference between Kibaki and Uhuru is priority - not spending. After Moi error - the infra deficit was basic highways, fibre, power, etc. After Kibaki, the hanging fruit was no longer city highways, SGR and last-miles. There are more optimal investments now - so it is harebrained to copy-paste Kibaki. However Kenya still needs to build infra.

Traditional banking is suffering everywhere - these MSMEs will not manage to run on 20% interest - they whined for long before MPs and GoK capped it. CRB and such were established to aid their credit rating. Saccos and VCs are the new paradigm - you must save to borrow or have some serious IP to attract local or global VC. Sugar is unprofitable - with airlines and other sectors - capital industry is not immune. It evolves. Infra binge is only a handy excuse.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »

I.e. Ndii's theories have never been adopted - we don't have evidence they would work. I know they wouldn't.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »

I.e. Ndii's theories have never been adopted - we don't have evidence they would work. I know they wouldn't.

Ndii theories were adopted during initial narc regime. He was in the think tank that drafted recovery from moi era

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 03:06:13 PM »
That's lovely but this thread is about the economy. We are focused on Ndii's bile and voodoo ideas. Resources are scarce - whether national, county, corporate or personal. So we must flog the strategy horse now and then - hither and thither.

This is Uhuru's Job.

Function of National Government Part 1 (Fourth Schedule, Article 185 (2), 186 (1) and 187 (2)

1. Foreign affairs, foreign policy and international trade.
2. The use of international water and water resources.
3. Immigration and citizenship
4. The relationship between religion and state.
5. Language policy and the promotion of official and local languages.
6. National defence and the use of national defence services.
7. Police services, including-

(a)  The setting of standards of recruitment, training of police and use of police services;

(b)  Criminal law; and

(c)   Correctional services.

8. Courts.
9. National economic policy and planning.
10. Monetary policy, currency, banking (including central banking), the incorporation and regulation of banking, insurance and           financial corporations.
11. National statistics and data on population, the economy and society generally.
12. Intellectual property rights
13. Labour standards.
14. Consumer protection, including standards for social security and professional pension plans.
15. Education policy, standards, curricula, examinations and the granting of university charters.
16. Universities, tertiary educational institutions and other institutions of research and higher learning and primary schools, special 17. education, secondary schools and special education institutions.
18. Promotion of sports and sports education.
19. Transport and communications, including, in particular-

(a)  Road traffic;

(b)  The construction and operation of national trunk roads;

(c)   Standard for the construction and maintenance of other roads by counties;

(d)  Railways;

(e)   Pipelines;

(f)    Marine navigations;

(g)  Civil aviation;

(h) Space travel;

(i)    Postal services;

(j)    Telecommunication; and

(k)  Radio television broadcasting.

National public works.
20. Housing policy.

General principles of land planning and the co-ordination of planning by the counties.
22. Protection of the environment and natural resources with a view to establishing a durable and sustainable system of development, including, in particular-

(a)  Fishing, hunting and gathering;

(b)  Protection of animal and wildlife;

(c)   Water protection, securing sufficient residual water, hydraulic engineering and the safety of dams; and

(d)  Energy policy.

23. National referral health facilities.

24. Disaster management.

Ancient and historical monument of national importance.
26. National election.

Health policy.
28. Agricultural policy.

29. Veterinary policy.

30. Energy policy including electricity and gas reticulation and energy regulation.

Capacity building and technical assistance to the counties.
32. Public investment.

33. National betting, casinos and other forms of gambling.

34. Tourism policy and development.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »

Ndii theories were adopted during initial narc regime. He was in the think tank that drafted recovery from moi era

He wrote papers - don't conflate them with the world. From his quarrelsome bitter-shrew persona - i doubt he could wield such influence. I am told there is a plethora of preneurs who claim to have "invented" M-Pesa.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Gov has no time to really think economics when basics have not be nailed. They need to focus on nailing the basic of what constitutes governance. For instance security is probably top priority investment - otherwise you'll have south africa kind of mess. Obviously most of what gov do is not "economical". The gov should focus on providing governance - and the private sector can grow the profit & the economy.

It a wrong premise to think Gov main job is to grow the economy or provide jobs. It isn't. It citizens job to grow their economies by working harder & smarter - creating SMEs - and eventually big enterprise.

The frustration people have - of current gov - are the same frustration they had in previous gov - because they want gov to do what it cannot do.

That's lovely but this thread is about the economy. We are focused on Ndii's bile and voodoo ideas. Resources are scarce - whether national, county, corporate or personal. So we must flog the strategy horse now and then - hither and thither.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »