Author Topic: Dennis Kimetto Sets World Record at Berlin Marathon  (Read 4208 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
Dennis Kimetto Sets World Record at Berlin Marathon
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
 The 30-year-old Kenyan knocked 26 seconds off the record of 2:03:23 set by compatriot Wilson Kipsang in Berlin last year to become the first man to complete a marathon in under two hours, three minutes.

Another Kenyan, Emmanuel Mutai, was also faster than the previous best, finishing second in 2:03:13.

Mutai had run the fastest marathon in history in 2:03:02 in Boston in 2011, though it didn't count as a world record because the course is considered too straight and downhill.

Abera Kuma of Ethiopia was third in 2:05:56.

Tirfi Tsegaye won the women's race in 2:20:18, with fellow Ethiopian Feyse Tadese second with 2.20.27.

American Shalane Flanagan was third in 2:21:14, missing out on her bid to beat the U.S. record of 2:19:36.

Some 40,004 runners from 130 nations were accepted for the race, which was run in perfect clear conditions.

Kimetto, whose previous personal best was the 2:03:45 he ran to win the Chicago Marathon last year, was part of a leading group including Mutai, Kuma, Tsegaye Kebede, Eliud Kiptanui, Geoffrey Kamworor, Levy Matebo and Franklin Chepkwony.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/dennis-kimetto-sets-world-mark-berlin-marathon-25814155

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Dennis Kimetto Sets World Record at Berlin Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
That is amazing. Under 3 minutes. Kimetto has now emerged from shadows of Mutai. I think there was a race last yr he deliberately let G.Mutai win...so he could win season jackpot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 02:08:41 PM »
The records always seem to be set in Berlin. 

What happened to the Ugandan RV?  He seems to win in different settings.  Is it that the Kenyans focus less winnig for country and more on the money?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:26 PM »
What do these athletes get for winning for Kenya? I think its a good thing that they chase money and build schools, hospitals, houses in their villages and nearby towns.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »

What happened to the Ugandan RV?  He seems to win in different settings.  Is it that the Kenyans focus less winnig for country and more on the money?

Stephen kiprotich got a huge promotion by Mr. museveni. He doesn't have to run anymore :)

Offline Olekoima

• Mega superstar
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 06:33:01 PM »
Bravo.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
Congrats are overdue. This is the kind of guy who should earn his EGH without any dust on it.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »

Stephen kiprotich got a huge promotion by Mr. museveni. He doesn't have to run anymore :)

I see. It looks like he was given some money by Museveni. 

An interesting detail.  Museveni says  Kiprotich went to the Bush on behalf of the NRM during the disturbances.  Kiprotich was born 3 years after NRA took power.  Museveni is getting quite senile.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/mobile/Detail.aspx?NewsID=634163&CatID=1
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

I see. It looks like he was given some money by Museveni. 

An interesting detail.  Museveni says  Kiprotich went to the Bush on behalf of the NRM during the disturbances.  Kiprotich was born 3 years after NRA took power.  Museveni is getting quite senile.

http://www.newvision.co.ug/mobile/Detail.aspx?NewsID=634163&CatID=1

He is a young lad
http://www.newvision.co.ug/news/653335-kiprotich-gets-yet-another-promotion.html

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
Amazing part is that Kimetto started running recently having been a farmer; he debut in Nairobi Marathon i think 2010. Just 4 yrs ago and  what an incredible talent he is. There are gazillion of kalenjin boys and girls who would probably beat most of current crop but majority either are ignorant of their talent, do not have the discipline for training or are lost in alcohol.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:24:25 AM »
Negro,
Can you please estimate how much out of the jackpot they receive in cash?
I sometimes feel like they are swindled BIG by middlemen
Amazing part is that Kimetto started running recently having been a farmer; he debut in Nairobi Marathon i think 2010. Just 4 yrs ago and  what an incredible talent he is. There are gazillion of kalenjin boys and girls who would probably beat most of current crop but majority either are ignorant of their talent, do not have the discipline for training or are lost in alcohol.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
For a negro a lot; obviously they pay taxes of the host country and the travel related expenses; and then managers/agents fees (if they are managed)..either by local or foreign coaches..some of time do not have coaches...

Suffice to say they nowadays get tonnes of money...in a good yr..kimetto type elite marathoner can win a net of 50m per annum...3 races..if you win plus appearances fee can set you upto 15-20M per race..prize money for position 1-2 is anything 100-200KUSD..appearance fee of about 100K USD...if you win majors..that is another clean 40-50m..if you have a word record..you get 20-50k per annum.

So if you race competitively for 3-5yrs--you can cross anything 200-500M and retire.

Negro,
Can you please estimate how much out of the jackpot they receive in cash?
I sometimes feel like they are swindled BIG by middlemen