Author Topic: Kenyan Economy shedding jobs like nonsense  (Read 15545 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Kenyan Economy shedding jobs like nonsense
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 02:13:52 PM »
Safaricpm is not a kenyan company ...majority of profits end in Europe and elsewhere
LAME. At least 35% of Safaricom is owned by GOK for starters.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Safaricpm is not a kenyan company ...majority of profits end in Europe and elsewhere
LAME. At least 35% of Safaricom is owned by GOK for starters.

35 percent and 15 percent by small scale holders..anyway one company in the last 20 years. Just one sector where are others?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »
Yes Kimunya/Kibaki started the boda boda - but it mainstream economic activity - informal employment in transport sector.

This is from KNBS 2018..

More Kenyans are buying motorcycles either as a cheaper mode of transport or as a source of income, as the report indicated there were 195,253 units registered last year.Over the past five years, motorcycle registration vehicle has been on a steady increase jumping 69.1 per cent from 115,451 units registered in 2014.

So if you assume about 3/4 of those are boda boda - you're talking it creating 150K jobs annually and the multiplier effect that such transportation is doing to other sectors.

So where are your construction jobs and bora boda. Jobs? Kibaki created boda boda jobs and a maid earning 40 dollars is not a job but servitude.

https://mobile.twitter.com/citizentvkenya/status/1181659302018392065

Stop passing myths here as facts.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Avacados/dairy/horticulture/nuts - are firing on all cylinders now ? Fintech & generally all digital transformation? Public investment in roads, power, ports ,schools, hospitals and etc? heck even betting.
35 percent and 15 percent by small scale holders..anyway one company in the last 20 years. Just one sector where are others?

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
Did they really start it or it just came on its own? I noticed most African countries have it also. So who was there Kibaki/Kimunya and do you want to suggest without the two Kenya would not have boda boda today?

Yes Kimunya/Kibaki started the boda boda - but it mainstream economic activity - informal employment in transport sector.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 05:05:45 PM »
Right - it came around the same time - only think kimunya did was to allow duty free importation. We really need to start manufacturing these boda bodas. There is already huge market for it here in kenya and in larger africa.
Did they really start it or it just came on its own? I noticed most African countries have it also. So who was there Kibaki/Kimunya and do you want to suggest without the two Kenya would not have boda boda today?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
It shows the weakness of GDP as a measure of quality of life. It is simply a measure of turnover.

You can be less cryptic. The real estate here is not restricted like twitter to 140 characters. Express yourself clearly madam Robina
Which shows what about GDP?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:55 PM »
Safaricom is a dinosaur that will die a painful death unless they perform dramatic improvement. I hear they have shuttered the innovation lab after it produced nothing in 2 years.

See - Safarciom has been minting profits since day 1 - 20 years - but is worth 10B usd
Uber has been minting losses since day 1 - 10 years - but is worth 50B usd

Because Safaricom is the past and Uber is the future. Cabs, shuttles, deliveries and the shebang are being Uberized. Telco will be disrupted by satellite in a few years. You might have a Facebook simcard - flat rate globally with no extra for roaming. Already we are seeing Libra and such. Their Masoko was DOA and i rarely hear of it. Maybe old MJ can save them - but i would drop the stock like it's hot.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/business/2019-10-08-m-pesa-among-top-10-most-influential-finance-projects-in-last-50-years/
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2019, 07:55:33 PM »
Back to my initial question how many jobs have been created in 3 rd quarter or even during jubilee 6 years in power? What is the single job creation that jubilee has come up with? Let us not talk about history. It here and now. Moi ugali mwa sufuria kind of assessment. We need it. Then tell us how ruto was instrumental on said job creation policy or investment

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »
New jobs are in tech. There will be some pain as people adapt. Lots of inequality. It is not a unique situation in Kenya.

Back to my initial question how many jobs have been created in 3 rd quarter or even during jubilee 6 years in power? What is the single job creation that jubilee has come up with? Let us not talk about history. It here and now. Moi ugali mwa sufuria kind of assessment. We need it. Then tell us how ruto was instrumental on said job creation policy or investment

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2019, 04:53:22 AM »
New jobs are in tech. There will be some pain as people adapt. Lots of inequality. It is not a unique situation in Kenya.

M
Kenyan Economy is 95 percent non tech ..i just want pundit to put out the numbers and not give surveys from 10 years ago....anyway uhuru is asking for debt ceiling to go up to 9 trillion. He is a man in a circus with no bread

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
Knbs have annual data of jobs market

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2019, 01:07:23 PM »
Safaricom is a dinosaur that will die a painful death unless they perform dramatic improvement. I hear they have shuttered the innovation lab after it produced nothing in 2 years.

See - Safarciom has been minting profits since day 1 - 20 years - but is worth 10B usd
Uber has been minting losses since day 1 - 10 years - but is worth 50B usd

Because Safaricom is the past and Uber is the future. Cabs, shuttles, deliveries and the shebang are being Uberized. Telco will be disrupted by satellite in a few years. You might have a Facebook simcard - flat rate globally with no extra for roaming. Already we are seeing Libra and such. Their Masoko was DOA and i rarely hear of it. Maybe old MJ can save them - but i would drop the stock like it's hot.

https://www.the-star.co.ke/business/2019-10-08-m-pesa-among-top-10-most-influential-finance-projects-in-last-50-years/
matope...telecom moving to 5g and you're thinking satellite

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Avacados/dairy/horticulture/nuts - are firing on all cylinders now ? Fintech & generally all digital transformation? Public investment in roads, power, ports ,schools, hospitals and etc? heck even betting.
Dairy is struggling; Nyandarua dairy farmers are pouring milk instead selling to monopolies like brookside for ksh.25. Funny thing is the retail price for milk doesn't fluctuate to correspond with low prices of raw milk. Avocados, the biggest processor and grower of avocados kakuzi is barely inking a profit. Yes the volumes have increased as more production come on board. Nuts; thanks to Ruto banning of export of raw nuts the cashew nuts industry has collapsed in coast region. Macadamia; cause of the same policy prices are subdued, yes production has increased as farmers look for alternative or complementary to coffee.
Fintech and digitization is working. Public investment could have been a major economic driver if only the projects were not egregiously overpriced.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »

A country like Kenya needs to infuse technology to every facets of its economy. We don't necessarily have to be tech producers. We could use for example Israel agricultural technology prowess to increase productivity of the Kenya biggest sector.  Manufacturing needs to invest heavily in new equipment and technology. The sad thing about kenya is cost of living is relatively high for poor country. E.g. Food in america is cheaper than kenya. 

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »
I think a sector would only struggle if production was to go down - but if more and more people are embracing dairy - and we are producing, consuming and processing more milk - then the sector is growing. Every time I go to super-market I am seeing new milk brands every day - so surely Brookside monopoly song is bit tired. Heck even Uganda are here (although it suspected they are selling milk powder - when I lived in Uganda - few people bought those Lato milk - I think Jesa milk was nearest to good milk you could get there).I am seeing more and more passion fruits farming too...Anyway I think agriculture pretty doing good as long as we have rain...of course we could triple agriculture industry if we applied more fertilizers, better seeds and good husbandry/agronomic.

Manufacturing has basically recovered from 2016 slump. Now it's the turn for real estate and construction to face the music with tea farmers. Universities are going through a rough patch but TIVET are doing great. Tourism and hotel industry is not badly - although the potential is incredible.

The rest of sectors - financial & inter-mediation, transport, ICT , Retail & Wholesaling ( formalization of retail is continuing - the sick men of uchumi/nakumatt/choppies - are being replaced by local and foreign brands) - are doing - maybe Energy has issue - but well we got first shipment of Turkana oil :)

Public investment in this china era is firing in all cylinders...and add to counties..who are solving the spending capacity problem - we have always had at national level - you can see why the economy is growing - even when private sector is struggling.

Dairy is struggling; Nyandarua dairy farmers are pouring milk instead selling to monopolies like brookside for ksh.25. Funny thing is the retail price for milk doesn't fluctuate to correspond with low prices of raw milk. Avocados, the biggest processor and grower of avocados kakuzi is barely inking a profit. Yes the volumes have increased as more production come on board. Nuts; thanks to Ruto banning of export of raw nuts the cashew nuts industry has collapsed in coast region. Macadamia; cause of the same policy prices are subdued, yes production has increased as farmers look for alternative or complementary to coffee.
Fintech and digitization is working. Public investment could have been a major economic driver if only the projects were not egregiously overpriced.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »
Unsurprisingly you are so behind news. What is 5G if not a move to satellite? A Google satellite fell off the sky in Meru recently. SpaceX has a satellite project - Starlink - for mast-free internet. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and big telcos have invested big in satellite startups. By 6G there will be no cell towers - it is how disruption works. But oh i get it - Safcom is shackled by Vodafone from thinking. Akili yako na ya Safcom imewekwa pingu.

matope...telecom moving to 5g and you're thinking satellite

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »
5G haiko silicon valley..sats are.moody  system based on weather and cliuds.. satellite hiyo ni old tech...nobody want it