Author Topic: Trump is exposing weaknesses in check and balances  (Read 1851 times)

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
Trump is exposing weaknesses in check and balances
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:08:54 AM »
This guy is something else but he may have done so much damage to american political system. He has really shown that nothing stops an american president from abusing. Power and getting away with it. As long as business people are on your side you can do pretty match what you want. The only way to reclaim credibility of institutions is having him jailed. Otherwise he has exposed the system and it down hill from here

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Trump is exposing weaknesses in check and balances
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:18 AM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:26:37 AM »

Agreed..you summarized it perfectly..that is how executive got USA into Vietnam, Nixon and Iraq wars happened..very risky arrangement especially now that money has completed neutered politicians .

Republicans being diehard capitalists have take advantage of this and bullied spineless democrats to take moderate stand.

Trump has just made nonsense of any pretense that there is something exceptional about "democracy" in this empire . right now he has senate and executive ..if he gets supreme courts because i believe he has lower courts it will lights out..i know holder and Obama are trying to create a buffer with revision of gerrymeandering laws ..hopefully they can succeed to stem this runaway train of an empire

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »
KP, have you been reading my law essay? I just finished my essay on the checks and balances between the judicature, legislature and the executive. .. the separation of powers is supposedly written into the american constitution and guided by liberal democratic principles...

there's no way Trump will get the judicature because of the separation of powers doctrine. There will exist overlaps between the legislature and the executive but it's the judicature's role to keep these three arms separate.

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
the conservatives in USA have been working on project of judiciary capture. They are about to capture judiciary and trump is there to deliver this..the last appointee got them close to the goal. We have a very sick liberal leaning judge she may be incapacitated anytime and then conservatives will get their appointee.

Right now the only thing left to check executive is people power ..nothing else. in a constitutional crisis scenario I would bet supreme court to defer lower courts or rule in favor of conservatives

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 04:05:58 PM »
The lower courts are at hands of conservatives..the insurgency by conservatives is from grassroots..trump is a manifest of a revolution decades in making

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
The judicature is bound by precedence, nothing the conservatives do can unwrite 500 years of Case law. Unlike science, 1 corrupt ruling in a Case cannot stand the test of time because it's not based on h-index, impact factor etc. nor beholden to publishers. It's based on justice. The law is bigger than 1 person or 1 history or 1 nation. He or she would need to burn nations to the ground before they can re-write justice.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 08:10:33 PM »
Well said Veritas. But the supremes can throw away precedents and make their own, right?
Also Democrats should increase number of supremes to 15. Same with appeals courts.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
Trump is an African dictator. Makes Moibutu look like a gentleman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 10:00:12 PM »
This guy is something else but he may have done so much damage to american political system. He has really shown that nothing stops an american president from abusing. Power and getting away with it. As long as business people are on your side you can do pretty match what you want. The only way to reclaim credibility of institutions is having him jailed. Otherwise he has exposed the system and it down hill from here

What are you really driving at? Is it the constitutional amendments for the states?
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 01:56:49 PM »
Well said Veritas. But the supremes can throw away precedents and make their own, right?
Also Democrats should increase number of supremes to 15. Same with appeals courts.

True, but only on points of law. It's actually better in some sense to have a conservative bench because they will maintain things as is. It's more dangerous to have liberal leaning Justices because they tend towards setting precedence using obscure laws to support controversial legislations e.g. abortion, gay rights etc.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »
Trump is an African dictator. Makes Moibutu look like a gentleman

Indeed.  Probably worse, if the system were to permit.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
https://news.yahoo.com/californias-war-trump-destroying-america-121022462.html

I like this analysis because it tackles the business side of things while giving a window into the politics. The American cake may be crumbling but not just yet. Sometimes an unexpected event can change things drastically.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline KenyanPlato

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 03:59:02 AM »
Rethugs have a chance to kick trump out and try to rebuild their tattered party. Trump is an impulsive idiot. I just read chronology of his Ukraine scandal. It just shows a person that doesnt have a clue on what is not kosjer to do. He may be the first presodent to end in jail or in isolation like nixon