Author Topic: Dear RV Pundit - here is what EXECUTIVE ACCOUNTABILITY looks like  (Read 1092 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Watch from 3:33

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Dear RV Pundit - here is what EXECUTIVE ACCOUNTABILITY looks like
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 12:49:14 PM »
I don't think you've thought through this. UK is a nation & state - that doesn't even need a written constitution - because UK has existed for so many centuries

.Kenya is mishap of nations - it's like AU or UN. It's by nature dysfunctional. Parliamentary or Presidential system cannot fix it. Our fundamental problem is that British just haphazardly created colonial boundaries and forced us to become Kenyans.

In political science, a "nation" refers to a group of people who feel bound into a single body by shared culture, values, folkways, religion and/or language. A "state" just refers to a patch of land with a sovereign government. States often coincide with nations (and are called "nation-states," but not always.

Our counties are mostly nations.You can say Bomet is Sot Nation. Kericho is Kipsigis Nation.Nandi is Nandi Nation. And there you can expect accountability - because say in the county - a governor cannot hide under "My tribe" - and there is robust honest all cards on the table debate.

At national level (state) - Kenya parliament are driven by tribalism like everyone one - Kalenjin & GEMA will not question Uhuru with any seriousness - even if he was to appear in parliament - daily. I mean we have that missed system before - and it never worked. PORK or PM will always be treated with kids glove from the majority of Mps.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 02:46:08 PM »
I don't think you've thought through this. UK is a nation & state - that doesn't even need a written constitution - because UK has existed for so many centuries

.Kenya is mishap of nations - it's like AU or UN. It's by nature dysfunctional. Parliamentary or Presidential system cannot fix it. Our fundamental problem is that British just haphazardly created colonial boundaries and forced us to become Kenyans.

In political science, a "nation" refers to a group of people who feel bound into a single body by shared culture, values, folkways, religion and/or language. A "state" just refers to a patch of land with a sovereign government. States often coincide with nations (and are called "nation-states," but not always.

Our counties are mostly nations.You can say Bomet is Sot Nation. Kericho is Kipsigis Nation.Nandi is Nandi Nation. And there you can expect accountability - because say in the county - a governor cannot hide under "My tribe" - and there is robust honest all cards on the table debate.

At national level (state) - Kenya parliament are driven by tribalism like everyone one - Kalenjin & GEMA will not question Uhuru with any seriousness - even if he was to appear in parliament - daily. I mean we have that missed system before - and it never worked. PORK or PM will always be treated with kids glove from the majority of Mps.

I get but Kenya has never been proper parliamentary - except maybe Jomo for 1 yr. Then it become corrupted hybrid and federal discarded. It was designed like the UK but greedy Jomo clique messed it. After that almighty PORK was a sacred cow. So it was a sham parliamentary system until 1992. Jomo and Moi never sweat it out on the floor like UK PM.

About the UK or Europeans you venerate as nation-states - actually they are quite segmented ethnically - and have only managed to be cohesive due to parliamentary and inclusivity. UK for a start is England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. Go to Germany or France and you find "Whites" are many heterogeneous clans. Whites are only look monolithic contrasted to blacks or non-whites. But they have the benefit of centuries of civilization and government yes.

Accountability is actually needed more when you have diversity. Not the opposite. You can't say you don't need to accountable exec because we are tribal. We need it more for exactly that reason plus impunity. Basically PORK or PM needs to be made a JOB - not a beatification.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
All I am saying is where tribalism is pervasive - it not possible to checkmate an executive PM - who comes from the largest party (read tribe). You know those Mps will not want to attack the Muthamaki because voters down there will see it as a betrayal.

We have accountability even in the current system. It fails mostly because of lack of issue-based politics - due to tribalism and corruption.

All such a system will achieve is a whole lot of noise & drama from the minority and PM & the majority will always have his way.

The solution is to make PORK & National organs really deal with national issues. Trump can be dangerous but internally in US - nobody really cares - because his impact - at the state level is very minimal. Few people ever get to deal or meet federal officials.

So we just need to continue starving the beast - in Nairobi - by sharing power to counties, to independent bodies and organs.

I get but Kenya has never been proper parliamentary - except maybe Jomo for 1 yr. Then it become corrupted hybrid and federal discarded. It was designed like the UK but greedy Jomo clique messed it. After that almighty PORK was a sacred cow. So it was a sham parliamentary system until 1992. Jomo and Moi never sweat it out on the floor like UK PM.

About the UK or Europeans you venerate as nation-states - actually they are quite segmented ethnically - and have only managed to be cohesive due to parliamentary and inclusivity. UK for a start is England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. Go to Wales and you have small clans.

Accountability is actually needed more when you have diversity. Not the opposite. You can't say you don't need to accountable exec because we are tribal. We need it more for exactly that reason plus impunity. Basically PORK or PM needs to be made a JOB - not a beatification.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:12:34 PM »
All I am saying is where tribalism is pervasive - it not possible to checkmate an executive PM - who comes from the largest party (read tribe). You know those Mps will not want to attack the Muthamaki because voters down there will see it as a betrayal.

We have accountability even in the current system. It fails mostly because of lack of issue-based politics - due to tribalism and corruption.

All such a system will achieve is a whole lot of noise & drama from the minority and PM & the majority will always have his way.

The solution is to make PORK & National organs really deal with national issues. Trump can be dangerous but internally in US - nobody really cares - because his impact - at the state level is very minimal. Few people ever get to deal or meet federal officials.

So we just need to continue starving the beast - in Nairobi - by sharing power to counties, to independent bodies and organs.

That's generally true.  And I agree the shit needs to be farmed out to counties, except national defence, foreign affairs and maybe setting minimum expectations for counties.  At some point, optimistically, some counties will wake up. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »

I have heard he is a buffoon, but he sounds orders of magnitude smaatuh than Trump.  Maybe it's just his vocabulary and accent.  You know how Southerners sound dumb even if they are genius.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »

I have heard he is a buffoon, but he sounds orders of magnitude smaatuh than Trump.  Maybe it's just his vocabulary and accent.  You know how Southerners sound dumb even if they are genius.