Author Topic: Why Not just Ban Gambling?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Why Not just Ban Gambling?
« on: July 13, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »
Jubilee is fighting this vice in the most brainless fashion that makes me think Karuri of Sportpesa refused to play ball. At the center of this beef is KRA's argument that Safaricom is a withholding tax agent and it should collect levies off all monies deposited into the wallets as well as withdrawals. Sportpesa and Safaricom insist that deposits are not taxable as they are not committed and can be withdrawn in full less withdrawal charges.

A frustrated KRA or Jubilee orders BLCB to cancel Sportpesa paybill numbers which they do. Sportpesa is crippled as paybill is the only way they receive money for stakes. There is a valid court order against this but Jubilee does not care.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Why Not just Ban Gambling?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 10:11:47 AM »
Why are they killing such a cash cow they can tax. It's indeed brainless. I think Matiangi is upto not good. He is rent-seeking. Everything under his ministry has been shut down and ordered to reapply afresh. From guns, ntsa, driving schools,immigration, name it. First he went for Chinese slot machines...and now he is targetting the impossible.

Sportpesa just need to open an online e-payment platform - and base themselves in Mauritus or some tax haven.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:36:50 AM »
Why are they killing such a cash cow they can tax. It's indeed brainless. I think Matiangi is upto not good. He is rent-seeking. Everything under his ministry has been shut down and ordered to reapply afresh. From guns, ntsa, driving schools,immigration, name it. First he went for Chinese slot machines...and now he is targetting the impossible.

Sportpesa just need to open an online e-payment platform - and base themselves in Mauritus or some tax haven.

That's part of the problem. While mobile money is the easiest ,it makes them lazy. There should be all sorts of means of payment including bitcoins. But with the license gone, they will have to fold.

Maybe Jubilee should have simply slapped the companies with 60% corporation tax instead of the ambiguous excise duty of 20% on 'winnings'
https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Betting-firms-licences-halted/1056-5188482-xqhnf2/index.html

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/news/billion-from-SportPesa-and-Betin/539546-5160314-17qdki/index.html
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 12:04:25 PM »
I think they will now innovate and definitely do everything online.You cannot legislate internet.They need to start PayPal or Skrill option like now.Something gov cannot illegally ignore.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »

Sportpesa refused to play ball and they are watching their cash cow cremated alive

Offline vooke

• Enigma

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
Ruto is against betting. Do not be surprised if he is one who originated this idea.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »
I hear in Uganda they just moved to online and now they operate without paying taxes......do you think they can be done away with?
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »
I hear in Uganda they just moved to online and now they operate without paying taxes......do you think they can be done away with?

If they adopted other payment means outside CBK reach then they can simply relocate to Budapest or wherever. Get PayPal, Skrill,Neteller etc. they could restrict their advertising to social media; Youtube, Facebook and twirra. As long as they keep paying they will always enjoy idiots flocking in. But this would cut off say 40% of their customers who are still stuck with USSD codes

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 06:44:00 PM »
It's possible to blacklist any site on the internet. Kung Fu style. Gambling ought to be criminalized just like narcos... besides the suicides of disillusioned losers, Macau and Las Vegas are infested with all kinds of sin least of all prostitution. To grow the sector fullthrottle you must allow other subsidiaries in the supply chain of lifism - recreational drugs, strip joints, circuses, adult films and prostitution. Narcos - Sicilian, Mexican and Hong Kong mafia - were very big headaches in them nascent betting economies. Basically start by turning a blind eye to Italian pervs who molest poor kids in Lamu... it's a slippery slope. What you have in Kenya at present is yet to be a budding industry. At its brim - the light-popping sort Pundit waters about - contend with a Red Light District wacha hio ya K-Street. You don't get to be a Macau by courting students and beggars.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
Pundit is it true the GoK crackdown is aimed at Ruto - who uses betting to launder his blood-loot.

Offline vooke

• Enigma

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Good.Cant kill a cash cow.Tax it.

Offline vooke

• Enigma

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 06:29:03 PM »
Then you see Kenyatta Revenue Authority officers moving door to door 'checking on compliance' among dying micro business owners.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
very bad. Kenyatta has allowed Matiangi to messed around so much as he tries to build a warchest for 2022. The same way matiangi messed up the future of many kids by refusing to moderate exams.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
Here am with uhuru for doing the right thing by shutting down mafia owned/run gambling enterprises. These gambling companies are nothing but money laundering outfits. Good job Uhuru