Author Topic: BBI - Muthaura crazy proposal - runner up to be PM  (Read 2547 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
BBI - Muthaura crazy proposal - runner up to be PM
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:59:23 AM »
FRANCIS MUTHAURA has proposed amendments to the constitution that will see a presidential candidate with highest number of votes and the runners up to automatically form a coalition government.

In his proposal, the winner in a presidential election will become the President and the runners-up to become the Prime Minister.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: BBI - Muthaura crazy proposal - runner up to be PM
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:12:38 PM »
Very silly idea. Mt Kenya in 2022 will have been at the helm of the country for 20 years. Now is when they want to compromise knowing SH is out of reach for one of their own. Best for Kenya is just clean and transparent election process. I insist on election process and not just election as the election is not a one day event.

We also need a strong opposition. The work of the opposition is not only to make noise, but to expose the wrong doing of a government and to make suggestions on how things can be done better. With everyone sitting in government we would be back in those days of Mzee Kenyatta and Arap Moi.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 12:16:59 PM »
Yes, all these kind of silly suggestions is because they are facing exit from power; I think we just need official opposition leader paid - and even shadow cabinet also paid - so they can do opposition work of keeping gov in toes and getting paid for it. Opposition parties should also be funded. Basically, opposition to gov should recognized as vital for democracy and they should be paid for it - give the official opp leader motorcade, security and all the trappings of power - the same with his deputies - and shadow cabinet. Obviously, we also need to get some output from them.

But forming a coalition gov every time negates democracy - election will not be perfect but as long as they are generally free and fair - then we need to accept people will lose...it's not the end of the world...for the losers.

Very silly idea. Mt Kenya in 2022 will have been at the helm of the country for 20 years. Now is when they want to compromise knowing SH is out of reach for one of their own. Best for Kenya is just clean and transparent election process. I insist on election process and not just election as the election is not a one day event.

We also need a strong opposition. The work of the opposition is not only to make noise, but to expose the wrong doing of a government and to make suggestions on how things can be done better. With everyone sitting in government we would be back in those days of Mzee Kenyatta and Arap Moi.

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »

I've lost all hope for any kind of prestine process. Maybe in 50 years when our tribes will have began fading away. In any case, I don't see how Muthaura's suggestion is any worse that the 50-100 year planned swap between Kyuks and Kalenjins that we were promised. At least Muthaura's has the advantage of not formenting resentment and civil unrest.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 01:59:36 PM »

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:12:41 PM »
FRANCIS MUTHAURA has proposed amendments to the constitution that will see a presidential candidate with highest number of votes and the runners up to automatically form a coalition government.

In his proposal, the winner in a presidential election will become the President and the runners-up to become the Prime Minister.

I thought this guy was dead.  And here he shows up with harebrained ideas.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 02:27:26 PM »
You are describing parliamentary - shadow cabinet, etc. Which is what we had before 1991, and even after until 2010. What we need is proper parliamentary where the Exec PM is a servant in Parliament answering questions every 2 or 3 days a week. Not a demigod full of pomposity like now.

The ceremonial crap - swearing in folks - give to 7yr queen. That way lazy or unaccountable or such people will not vie. Like you say yourself Uhuru wouldn't hack it. I think Kalonzo and Madvd too wouldn't. But for now anyone can be aloof PORK cause he's unaccountable.

Also, for clean electoral process, it's easier to man against rigging at the constituency - where we don't need French servers. You can literally sum up the poll centers in a constituency - making it hard to rig. Hii mambo ya server huko Nairobi - hopeless.

Yes, all these kind of silly suggestions is because they are facing exit from power; I think we just need official opposition leader paid - and even shadow cabinet also paid - so they can do opposition work of keeping gov in toes and getting paid for it. Opposition parties should also be funded. Basically, opposition to gov should recognized as vital for democracy and they should be paid for it - give the official opp leader motorcade, security and all the trappings of power - the same with his deputies - and shadow cabinet. Obviously, we also need to get some output from them.

But forming a coalition gov every time negates democracy - election will not be perfect but as long as they are generally free and fair - then we need to accept people will lose...it's not the end of the world...for the losers.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 02:29:43 PM »

With the level of corruption and dishonesty in Kenya - this is a pipedream.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
Is this not the same Muthaura who was the architect of the 2007 election theft? He even has the odessity to speak on state affairs.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
With the level of corruption and dishonesty in Kenya - this is a pipedream.

I agree but it is sometimes not bad to dream. Reality is painful enough.
I think we need another 50 years to restart our nation.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
At least the dude is thinking out of the box.  I think most of us are boxed into the western European and American models of democratic governments.  We need to look at the past and find out what worked.  For example, 2002 before the reneging of the Mou, then NARA, then handshake. Let us study those three periods of time in our history where a certain semblance of political stability and serenity was noticed throughout the country.  Also let us look at the tumultuous times in the country and see what does not work, for example, "the reneging of the Mou", the stealing of elections in 2007, the Ouruto, kalenjin/kikuyu fraud  aka fake "tyranny of numbers" powered by stealing of votes.

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »
There is an interesting model in Malaysia - it's parliamentary with Exec PM - federal with provincial governors - the ceremonial president is a window dressing that rotates among the provinces.

At least the dude is thinking out of the box.  I think most of us are boxed into the western European and American models of democratic governments.  We need to look at the past and find out what worked.  For example, 2002 before the reneging of the Mou, then NARA, then handshake. Let us study those three periods of time in our history where a certain semblance of political stability and serenity was noticed throughout the country.  Also let us look at the tumultuous times in the country and see what does not work, for example, "the reneging of the Mou", the stealing of elections in 2007, the Ouruto, kalenjin/kikuyu fraud  aka fake "tyranny of numbers" powered by stealing of votes.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 07:51:06 PM »
Interesting stuff.  By the way, what does "Opposition" mean in Kenya?  Some people who supported Raila when they thought he might get into power are now Ruto's, based on who they think will win and their prospects for eating---the likes of Jumwa who suddenly switched from breathing out fire on Jubilee to declaring that the Hustler is "an idea whose time has come".  Talk about fickle and feckless!

And Uhuru for once has sobered up and come up with a master stroke, a.ka. Handshake.   Conning Raila into believing that he will get support for a run in 2022 essentially neuters the Opposition and allows Uhuru to rule without kelele mingi.   What president would not love such a situation.

Muthaura's proposal actually make a great deal of sense when viewed in a historical context.   He is basically refining the current con to match an earlier one that "worked" for them: Kibaki's "you are assured of something big".   

MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 08:01:59 PM »
Robina, I like that Malaysia but like I told you Uganda have PM nobody cares about.At end of the day there can only be one top dog.The rest have be loyal or fight.Trying to find an utopia system where nobody loses means nobody wins.The reality is we have Raila problem... somebody who wants to run n run...and doesn't want to lose.Once Raila retires we will be fine.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:19:26 PM »
Actually we had this problem long before Babu - since independence. Matibas and Rubias gave Moi big headache. Isn't Jubilee a coalition of warlords? Exec PM with federal does it for me - the accountable UK type - without the fanfares and hero worship. Take the glory out of the job. Ruto can easily nick PM but he should be a people servant not a new god.

Robina, I like that Malaysia but like I told you Uganda have PM nobody cares about.At end of the day there can only be one top dog.The rest have be loyal or fight.Trying to find an utopia system where nobody loses means nobody wins.The reality is we have Raila problem... somebody who wants to run n run...and doesn't want to lose.Once Raila retires we will be fine.

Offline Wa Njambi

• Mega superstar
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 12:04:12 AM »
A Crazy proposal it is!

We need to call out the Elephant in the room. If we don't, we all live to fight again!

The 2nd runner-up and below should never insist on being part formal Executive. This is an Exclusive Preserve of the Winning Candidate/Party. Co-opting 2nd Runner-up in any way shape or form is plain Ujinga.  Are we revising elections 101?

Lastly, in as much as it is not politically correct to say, this messy idea is actually less about 2nd Runner up in general, and More about how to manage a Raila 2nd Runner-up! We are custom fitting the constitution for an individual...that's a bad precedence to set!

Rather than fool him with another "Nusu Mkate" idea, We need to encourage Raila that he has the potential to capture #1,  and also encourage him and all, that the Official Opposition Leader positive is a very important executive position that shadows the govt and keeps it in check.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 12:48:04 AM »
Rather than fool him with another "Nusu Mkate" idea, We need to encourage Raila that he has the potential to capture #1,  and also encourage him and all, that the Official Opposition Leader positive is a very important executive position that shadows the govt and keeps it in check.

Who is "we", and why do you believe that "our" encouragement would have any effect on Raila.   The man has shown that he is very susceptible to poorly-thought-out ideas, the most recent being a funny "boycott", followed by a circus in which he was sworn in as president of some virtual republic.

Raila would probably be happy just to be called "President", with or without power.   (As an aside, I'm not sure that he would know what to do with the power if he were a real President.)   Add to that the fact that GEMA is, and has always been, loathe to lose power,  and there's the possibility that Muthaura's idea is more like reducing a full con to just half a con, which is where, past betrayals notwithstanding, they might still get Raila.

See, if Uhuro & Co and Raila agree on a (powerless) President and PM (for Uhuru), then right off the bat you've GEMA and Raila's followers in the bag.   The soft-headed/weak-kneed Western and Eastern chaps---Wetangula, Mudavadi, and Kalonzo---are no problem: dangle something "big" (Majority Leader, Speaker, House This or That, or a cabinet post), and they'll join the line so fast it will make your head swing.   Then, right there you have enough support---the tribal sheep will always follow---for a referendum to change the constitution and rewind  to 2002/i]Kazi iendelee.[/i] 
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »

What happens when the running mate and the runners up are kinsmen?
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:30 PM »
Who is "we", and why do you believe that "our" encouragement would have any effect on Raila.   The man has shown that he is very susceptible to poorly-thought-out ideas, the most recent being a funny "boycott", followed by a circus in which he was sworn in as president of some virtual republic.

Raila would probably be happy just to be called "President", with or without power.   (As an aside, I'm not sure that he would know what to do with the power if he were a real President.)   Add to that the fact that GEMA is, and has always been, loathe to lose power,  and there's the possibility that Muthaura's idea is more like reducing a full con to just half a con, which is where, past betrayals notwithstanding, they might still get Raila.

See, if Uhuro & Co and Raila agree on a (powerless) President and PM (for Uhuru), then right off the bat you've GEMA and Raila's followers in the bag.   The soft-headed/weak-kneed Western and Eastern chaps---Wetangula, Mudavadi, and Kalonzo---are no problem: dangle something "big" (Majority Leader, Speaker, House This or That, or a cabinet post), and they'll join the line so fast it will make your head swing.   Then, right there you have enough support---the tribal sheep will always follow---for a referendum to change the constitution and rewind  to 2002 Kazi iendelee.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 09:57:42 PM »
Yaani Wetangula get back his previous position.Not as bad as Uhuru saluting President Raila as he desperately Wade through parliamentary shouting matches with official leader of opposition WSR.Robina whoever a hired you at Pablo alto just needed to tick the affarmative box..female, black n disabled.Bingo.Youre hired.Some ideas are just so outright stupid like Muthaura here..or those crazy Uhuru PM and Raila PORK.