Author Topic: No life outside earth  (Read 3946 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Re: No life outside earth
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »
There are billions of earth like objects in our infinite universe. Relazy. Evolution is solid science. The foundation of any modern life science.

It's a scientific theory, not an "established" fact.  Scientific theories are inherently tentative(fluid), open to challenges, and discarded when a new theory with superior explanatory power presents itself.  It's a bit like putting together a huge jigsaw puzzle, with many pieces missing. 
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 02:15:33 PM »
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
There are billions of earth like objects in our infinite universe. Relazy. Evolution is solid science. The foundation of any modern life science.

It's a scientific theory, not an "established" fact.  Scientific theories are inherently tentative(fluid), open to challenges, and discarded when a new theory with superior explanatory power presents itself.  It's a bit like putting together a huge jigsaw puzzle, with many pieces missing. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 11:19:19 PM »

Guesswork/chemical evolution is not science.

Let's try this. What makes nothing-dirt-Termie science?

• Enigma

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:07 PM »

Guesswork is not science.

No.  Guesswork is guesswork.  Is it used in science?  Sometimes.  Like I mentioned, doing real science is like playing a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces.

The difference with science is when they are guessing(educated or otherwise) they don't call it divine revelation.

What's the meaning of your last question?

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 11:37:34 PM »

No.  Guesswork is guesswork.  Is it used in science?  Sometimes.  Like I mentioned, doing real science is like playing a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces.

The difference with science is when they are guessing(educated or otherwise) they don't call it divine revelation.

Chemical evolution is spontaneous generation which was discredited before evolution was conceived

What makes chemical evolution science and not religion?

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 11:49:14 PM »

Chemical evolution is spontaneous generation which was discredited before evolution was conceived

Even assuming that your claim is correct, and that chemical evolution is discredited.  So what?  It's the best information at the moment.  When better evidence emerges, it might indeed turn out to be wrong replaced by a totally different mechanism.  That is what makes it science.

A more clearer example.  Dark matter.  Nobody has seen it.  But it is hypothesized because it preserves what is currently the best model of the universe so far.  When something better comes up, general relativity is not infallible, and can be refined if not discarded entirely.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:00 AM »

Even assuming that your claim is correct, and that chemical evolution is discredited.  So what?  It's the best information at the moment.  When better evidence emerges, it might indeed turn out to be wrong replaced by a totally different mechanism.  That is what makes it science.

A more clearer example.  Dark matter.  Nobody has seen it.  But it is hypothesized because it preserves what is currently the best model of the universe so far.  When something better comes up, general relativity is not infallible, and can be refined if not discarded entirely.

• Enigma
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 12:19:42 AM »

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 06:07:58 AM »
15 billion years ago we had nothing but hydrogen, time and energy.
10 billion years later hydrogen had formed all other elements and we had hydrogen, ammonia, oxygen, water
Out of these, organic molecules which are necessary for life emerged. Amino acids, sugars, nucleotides. These formed longer chains or polymers. Sugars formed starch, amino acids formed proteins, nucleotides firmed DNA.
Then magically, these three formed living cells. This is pure conjecture. Probability of such just can't be computed. It's too small.
Dark matter is an attempt to explain phenomena that seemingly defies predictions of scientific theories. So there is a distinct possibility of its existence
, but chemical evolution is increasingly discredited by what we know. Every day we are learning of just how complex the simplest cells is, and this pushes probability of chemical evolution even lower. Labs can simulate about every imaginable primordial environment but nothing comes close to demonstrating chemical evolution.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 11:57:48 PM »
10 billion years later hydrogen had formed all other elements and we had hydrogen, ammonia, oxygen, water
Out of these, organic molecules which are necessary for life emerged. Amino acids, sugars, nucleotides. These formed longer chains or polymers. Sugars formed starch, amino acids formed proteins, nucleotides firmed DNA.
Then magically, these three formed living cells. This is pure conjecture. Probability of such just can't be computed. It's too small.
Dark matter is an attempt to explain phenomena that seemingly defies predictions of scientific theories. So there is a distinct possibility of its existence
, but chemical evolution is increasingly discredited by what we know. Every day we are learning of just how complex the simplest cells is, and this pushes probability of chemical evolution even lower. Labs can simulate about every imaginable primordial environment but nothing comes close to demonstrating chemical evolution.

A scientist entertaining possibility of iPhones existing anywhere else in this universe other than here in earth is mad. We need not tear the universe apart before concluding that iPhones exist only on earth. Understanding how iPhones got here is all we need to rule out their existence elsewhere.

• Enigma
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2019, 12:45:52 AM »

A scientist entertaining possibility of iPhones existing anywhere else in this universe other than here in earth is mad. We need not tear the universe apart before concluding that iPhones exist only on earth. Understanding how iPhones got here is all we need to rule out their existence elsewhere.

Change that from an iPhone to a generic communication device and it does not sound so mad anymore.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2019, 09:21:53 PM »

Change that from an iPhone to a generic communication device and it does not sound so mad anymore.

• Enigma
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2019, 11:02:37 PM »

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2019, 02:48:20 PM »

The laws of science that operate on earth operate in the entire universe. It is out of these laws that life allegedly accidentally emerged. Claiming that they similarly operated and generated life elsewhere is fantasy

• Enigma
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »

The laws of science that operate on earth operate in the entire universe. It is out of these laws that life allegedly accidentally emerged. Claiming that they similarly operated and generated life elsewhere is fantasy

"Laws of science" is an ongoing fluid enterprise.  The search for scientific knowledge does not stop.  100 years from now what we know might turn out to be just as ridiculous as the creationist story.

We don't know if they generated life elsewhere.  That is why there is research on the subject.

Harriet Tubman