Author Topic: No life outside earth  (Read 3944 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
No life outside earth
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:29 PM »
This Opportunity Rover has been at it for 14 years and all it managed to do was to bury itself in dust while not busy catching desert images. Now it's no more

https://nyti.ms/2E7Gk8C

Seriously, I still think evolution is a worse guess of origins compared to Creationism ,but the idea that life can or did evolve simultaneously in different parts of the Galaxy is crazy. Imagine all the chance events that led to life on Earth according to evolutionists independently replicated elsewhere.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: No life outside earth
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
There are billions of earth like objects in our infinite universe. Relazy. Evolution is solid science. The foundation of any modern life science.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
I believe that there is no other form of what we understand as life apart from this one. Evolution did occur and we are just part of result from it.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »
I don't buy evolution. It's like saying a hammer evolved from a piece of iron.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »
Our universe as we know is infinite and if not infinite - incredibly large. This I think should be left to scientist - as the rest of us try to live our short lives in planet earth.
I believe that there is no other form of what we understand as life apart from this one. Evolution did occur and we are just part of result from it.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
This Opportunity Rover has been at it for 14 years and all it managed to do was to bury itself in dust while not busy catching desert images. Now it's no more

Seriously, I still think evolution is a worse guess of origins compared to Creationism ,but the idea that life can or did evolve simultaneously in different parts of the Galaxy is crazy. Imagine all the chance events that led to life on Earth according to evolutionists independently replicated elsewhere.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 05:38:15 PM »
I don't buy evolution. It's like saying a hammer evolved from a piece of iron.
I'm with you, Veri, regarding true Darwinian evolution. If it did happen, it was manipulated by an intelligent mechanism, especially the emergence of DNA and the various points in the evolutionary record where there seems to have been an infusion of new info into the code, like in the Cambrian explosion.

Still, though, I don't think the two questions in the OP are related: I.e the existence of life elsewhere and Darwinian evolution. They simply transfer the same debate/problem/question to another planet.

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
I'm with you too, Kadame.

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »

Strictly speaking that is true.  Different things adapt differently to different places.

Adaptation is no proof of evolution. I wanted to laugh out loud about Veritas' hammer evolving from iron (never) but the neighbors might be disturbed.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:24 PM »

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 10:01:07 PM »
There are billions of earth like objects in our infinite universe. Relazy. Evolution is solid science. The foundation of any modern life science.

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »

Those probabilities are unknown.  It's OK to not know.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 06:47:15 PM »

It's a scientific theory, not an "established" fact.  Scientific theories are inherently tentative(fluid), open to challenges, and discarded when a new theory with superior explanatory power presents itself.  It's a bit like putting together a huge jigsaw puzzle, with many pieces missing. 

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »

You'd have to know a bit more about the universe to assume how small we know they are.  The only thing we know with certainty is it is in the closed interval [0,1].  The observable universe is huge.  The entire universe(including parts we cannot observe in principal, even bigger).  On that basis alone, we can only know with certainty one thing - if there is life outside the earth.    But we cannot know if there is no life elsewhere.

But looking at the universe might be going too far.  We are only starting to scratch the surface even right here in our Solar System backyard.  It makes sense to wait and see.  Hopefully the question can be resolved in our lifetime, but that is not a necessity to understand why you can't rule out life elsewhere.

Harriet Tubman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »
It's possible there's life outside our own world (the Bible suggests it from Jesus' parable of the shepherd who left 99 sheep to go and look for the one who was lost - our world), but such an existence would not even begin to prove evolution. In fact, it would prove creation beyond any reasonable doubt.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »
It's possible there's life outside our own world (the Bible suggests it from Jesus' parable of the shepherd who left 99 sheep to go and look for the one who was lost - our world), but such an existence would not even begin to prove evolution. In fact, it would prove creation beyond any reasonable doubt.

It's possible because there is evidence of it on earth, which is just one of countless celestial bodies.  It's possible for the same reason observation of life in Borneo, points to its likelihood in the Congo Forest.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 12:38:20 AM »

Strictly speaking that is true.  Different things adapt differently to different places.

Adaptation is no proof of evolution. I wanted to laugh out loud about Veritas' hammer evolving from iron (never) but the neighbors might be disturbed.

I don't claim to have "proofs" of anything.  But adaptation is at the heart of the idea behind natural selection.  That is because the earth is in constant flux.  Oxygen levels, atmospheric pressure, temperatures, food resources, etc, these things are not static over geological periods.  If changes happen one way, a poorly adapted species could vanish, while a better adapted one one would thrive.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Dear Mami

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
It's possible there's life outside our own world

That's my position as well. It's not possible to say that there's no life anywhere else because after all, the same mechanism that would enable it to develop here could do the same in a countless other places. This holds true whether you believe in a literal six-day creation or full-blown materialistic Darwinism. If either happened here, it could've happened elsewhere in the universe. The question of whether there's life elsewhere is not at all related to the question of how life developed, so I don't know why Christians dismiss it so readily. The universe's staggering size precludes us from excluding life elsewhere. And even in the most literalist reading of the Bible, God never said he had made a full record of all his activities known, so really there's no need. Even Jews believe God made other worlds before this one and destroyed them.