Author Topic: VAT on petrol increases the price to ksh130  (Read 2830 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: VAT on petrol increases the price to ksh130
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
Economic growth capture all that - including the lives of ordinary kenyas. 2017 was predictably a bad year when we faced double whammy - elections and drought - this year everything is looking up - our revenues are up - so our ability to repay loan is up. There is so much rainfall evenly spread we are looking at food surplus. Forex reserves a plenty. Inflation under control. What else is not kicking in the economy????

Talking of debt - I really don't see the big worry - SGR - one of  it's largest component look most likely to repay itself. We are on the 8 cargo daily train - we are yet to start moving general cargo - and definitely set for 12 cargo trains by dec.

We are not in midst of any economic crisis - except a fake one manufactured by IMF. IMF intend on us removing interest cap so we can be like rest of Africa where banks are charging 25% interest rate.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: I meant in the sense of sinking deeper into debt with fewer and fewer prospects of being able to repay.   Don't be fooled by just growth rate.  Sooner or later the creditors will come calling, and there is no shortage of countries that "lost it" after they went on a borrow-and-spend binge when the times were supposedly good.   

And, then, there's the matter of ordinary Kenyans.   How are they enjoying the things that are looking up?     

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »
Economic growth capture all that - including the lives of ordinary kenyas.

I'm glad to hear that.  If the economy is growing nicely, and ordinary Kenyans are enjoying the fruits of that growth, then, surely, all is well.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
All is not well but definitely it's better than same time last year or 10 years ago. We are fairing better and better year after year. If we keep at it - 10yrs from now - we would have kicked another 10 % out of poverty - in 15yrs we will definitely be where South Africa is - middle class country as per vision 2030(with per capita 5,000usd) - and by 2050 - we'd be a newly minted developed country(with per capita of 12,000 usd).
I'm glad to hear that.  If the economy is growing nicely, and ordinary Kenyans are enjoying the fruits of that growth, then, surely, all is well.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 09:10:44 AM »
Kenya is NOT going to dogs economically - anytime soon - right now all economic indicators are bleeping green - things are looking up - but of course for the cynically - 6.3% growth rate is never good enough for them.

Perhaps I should have been more specific: I meant in the sense of sinking deeper into debt with fewer and fewer prospects of being able to repay.   Don't be fooled by just growth rate.  Sooner or later the creditors will come calling, and there is no shortage of countries that "lost it" after they went on a borrow-and-spend binge when the times were supposedly good.   

And, then, there's the matter of ordinary Kenyans.   How are they enjoying the things that are looking up?     
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline audacityofhope

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 09:21:00 AM »
Economic growth capture all that - including the lives of ordinary kenyas.

@MOOn Ki, I do not think Pundit has Civil servants and pensioners in his list of "ordinary Kenyans:(  I left home on 10th and my mom and her colleagues who belongs to one of those two groups had not see received her cash for July. The link below has a publish date of 14/8/2018.

Still in the OP, why have some civil servants and pensioners not received their salaries for the month of July? Some people were heard asking if the office is broke. A little bird whispered to Corridors that some of the accounting officers are said to be sitting on the payroll of the affected civil servants which has caused the delay. Some banks are said to have refused to pay the salaries in advance as has always been the case until the government releases money. May be Treasury top dogs have an explanation?
https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018/08/14/corridors-of-power_c1802046

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »

You think so?  What is the tribe the revolutionary leader :lol: ?

Before you get to that ... you forgot the eating: in a place like Kenya the first thing that would happen is that the "leaders of the revolution" would be off selling the plot to "the man".  Between the "eating" and "our man", nothing will happen until Kenyans get the crap beaten out of them, the way Moi did.   Right now the place is slowly going to the dogs economically, but it looks like continuing politics and electioneering from 2017 will continue until 2022.   In Kenya, huge crowds will turn out for political rallies and the like.  Any time, any place.  How many---other than Boniface Mwangi and his 10 friends---have ever showed up at an anti-corruption rally?   The Opposition---formerly Raila and his buddies---can urge, and get, all sorts of crowds to show up to support their quest for power.    Ever hear anyone urging crowds to turn out to protest the endless theft of public money, the lack of proper services from government, dot dot dot?

I agree.  Though the Moi endgame looks unlikely.  In 2002, there was still an element of naivety that a change in faces is all that is needed.  In 2018, there are no "good" guys.  Just "our" and "their" guys.  And they have mastered the game of playing of wanjiku's love of "hers".
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman