Author Topic: Google/Oracle Tiff  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Google/Oracle Tiff
« on: March 28, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-27/oracle-wins-revival-of-billion-dollar-case-against-google

It would be interesting to understand what's at stake.  I had always assumed Android is written in C, like any serious OS.  Couldn't google with all its resources just create their interfaces from scratch?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: Google/Oracle Tiff
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
The trouble with software, open source, freeware license, etc. You think it's free until you're earning revenues and suddenly copyrights crop up. Apple has Swift for this reason. Facebook is an app on Android and iOS and has been walking on eggs mapping a breakup strategy. Facebook is secretly creating an OS for its products.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:35:42 PM »
It would be interesting to understand what's at stake.  I had always assumed Android is written in C, like any serious OS.  Couldn't google with all its resources just create their interfaces from scratch?

Google has been masquerading as an open platform... with Android, Tensorflow and such tools for developers. Minting cash from the myriad of apps in the ecosystem. All the while running on "free" Java.

Android is written in C and C++ with Java libraries. Generally if you want to have Java as the "native" Android language there is no way around Java libraries. That's what's at stake - the centrality of Java to Android - and the effort it would take to replace it.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »

Google has been masquerading as an open platform... with Android, Tensorflow and such tools for developers. Minting cash from the myriad of apps in the ecosystem. All the while running on "free" Java.

Android is written in C and C++ with Java libraries. Generally if you want to have Java as the "native" Android language there is no way around Java libraries. That's what's at stake - the centrality of Java to Android - and the effort it would take to replace it.

I see.  They should probably shift to MEAN stack  :D.  It looks like the freest offering with some heft out there.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:40:41 AM »

I see.  They should probably shift to MEAN stack  :D.  It looks like the freest offering with some heft out there.

Tough luck... consider the ubiquity of Java in the mobile developer community. Including VR, blockchain, etc. Java is the de facto tool for all the Android flavors. Too late now for Google to change course; they just have to pay up. MEAN full stack exacerbates the already cumbersome fragmentation in the Android world - while solving none of the Java issues. The idea is to pose as open yet control the platform... which is what this legal tussle has upstaged.

Microsoft failed in mobile due to the open vs proprietary wars. Apple savvy marketing has managed to win a decisive marketshare and still control the iOS platform. By insisting they are "integrated", not closed... while Microsoft is closed and Google is fragmentated. :)

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »

I see.  They should probably shift to MEAN stack  :D .  It looks like the freest offering with some heft out there.

Tough luck... consider the ubiquity of Java in the mobile developer community. Including VR, blockchain, etc. Java is the de facto tool for all the Android flavors. Too late now for Google to change course; they just have to pay up. MEAN full stack exacerbates the already cumbersome fragmentation in the Android world - while solving none of the Java issues. The idea is to pose as open yet control the platform... which is what this legal tussle has upstaged.

It seems to me that the issue they are having with Oracle is APIs.  The Java VM.  It seems like it should be allowable for them to replace it with their own creation that exposes the same interface.  Basically replace the wiring behind the VM.  Unless the public interface to an API also constitutes part of intellectual property right.  And that seems pretty scary.  It would be interesting to see the details that these courts look at to decide these cases.

I thought MEAN stack would be great for them, given that it already has their fingerprints through Chrome V8.

Microsoft failed in mobile due to the open vs proprietary wars. Apple savvy marketing has managed to win a decisive marketshare and still control the iOS platform. By insisting they are "integrated", not closed... while Microsoft is closed and Google is fragmentated. :)

I just thought Microsoft's offering sucked.  Lacking a toehold in mobile the way they had on the desktop, they were not able to mitigate their poor product with sheer force of presence.

Harriet Tubman