Author Topic: Robina, Are we Watching Falcon Heavy?  (Read 3002 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Robina, Are we Watching Falcon Heavy?
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
http://www.spacex.com/webcast
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Robina, Are we Watching Falcon Heavy?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:46 PM »
He's got it right for Low Earth Orbit operations.  Colonization on the other hand, he is too optimistic.  There is simply no reason anyone would want to live on another planet.  Antarctica can barely attract humans.  Even cataclysmic climate change, nuclear war name it, leaves earth by far the only candidate for human settlement in the vicinity. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:34:21 PM »
Pastor is this a question?? Falcon Heavy is a big precursor towards the BFR - which will make it to Mars by 2022. This is doable Windy's doubts notwithstanding.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:47:16 PM »
Pastor is this a question?? Falcon Heavy is a big precursor towards the BRF - which will make it to Mars by 2022. This is doable Windy's doubts notwithstanding.

I don't doubt that people can reach Mars.  I doubt that they will colonize it.  There is no reason for that.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:54:31 PM »
Pastor is this a question?? Falcon Heavy is a big precursor towards the BRF - which will make it to Mars by 2022. This is doable Windy's doubts notwithstanding.

I don't doubt that people can reach Mars.  I doubt that they will colonize it.  There is no reason for that.

The plan is to do just that - complete with project plans - timelines, resources, manpower, name it. This will include the ITS - interplanetary transport system. Once Mars is done,  folks will be on to the rest.

This is a movement. #OCCUPYMARS

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
The excitement for me is feasibility. Big things don't always come by necessity. It's insufferably disappointing that "space" is just stuff for satellite imagery on NatGeo.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »
Termie your thought ps mirror mine.

I can see fascination with trips, but a colony?

Not in a million years
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 12:07:52 AM »
 Just felt like I came from watching Shawshank Redemption right there

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:19 AM »
The excitement for me is feasibility. Big things don't always come by necessity. It's insufferably disappointing that "space" is just stuff for satellite imagery on NatGeo.

If it wasn't communications and things like GPS, I bet even Lower Earth Orbit operations would have gone the way of moon landings.  After the moon race ended, the Americans had simply dropped it.  There was nothing to be gained apart from bragging rights by sending people there.

I see a greater future for robotic craft, and mining small bodies like asteroids which are not massive gravity wells.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:50 AM »
Starman views. 

Thanks.
Amazing PR stunt for Tesla.
The only thing that tickled me was the suspense and anxiety of the launch. Fireball or Roadster in space? Then the synchronized landing of the rockets. The images were out of this world.

What happened to the core rocket that was supposed to land in the ocean? It went South?

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 05:16:06 PM »
Starman views. 

Thanks.
Amazing PR stunt for Tesla.
The only thing that tickled me was the suspense and anxiety of the launch. Fireball or Roadster in space? Then the synchronized landing of the rockets. The images were out of this world.

What happened to the core rocket that was supposed to land in the ocean? It went South?

I don't know about the core.   I am assuming it also landed - the same technical challenge as the other two. 

This whole thing of boosters and fuel taking up humongous weight, is one reason I have not much faith in colonization.  It's a bit like carrying the entire weight of your home in fuel just to make a short trip for one person to the store.

If that changes, maybe some fusion, anti-matter or similarly efficient engines are a reality, then the colonization might become realistic.  It cannot happen on Elon Musk caveman technology  :D.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
Windy - fusion and anti-matter are good ideas. Past orbit, outer space is free flow - no need for massive anti-gravity combustion except what is necessary to wheeze through the vacuum at light speed.

Fusion - of liquid water? Nuclear kind of fusion is unsafe at present. People have to operate nuclear plants in iron suits.

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
Windy - fusion and anti-matter are good ideas. Past orbit, outer space is free flow - no need for massive anti-gravity combustion except what is necessary to wheeze through the vacuum at light speed.

Fusion - of liquid water? Nuclear kind of fusion is unsafe at present. People have to operate nuclear plants in iron suits.

It's free flow.  But you are reduced to more or less one velocity and relying on other bodies to change it.  Imagine if a plane needed to hit a large bird every time it needs to change direction.  All sort of ramifications for travel and the modern economy. 

If one can figure out how to get fuel from already abundant resources in the universe, it's not long before you'd have families taking trips on space RVs.

Space elevators might come before those other fancy engines though.

Harriet Tubman

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »

Pastor you're being too harsh on Elon.  The chap cracked the battery powered car after many failed to do it.  His massive battery in Australia worked as planned a few weeks ago.

In my view he's already an over achiever here on earth....

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 01:15:09 AM »
vooke - This is why I told you Musk is a marketing guru.. folks at the earnings calls were giving him thumbs up over the flying stunk despite poor financial results.

Tesla faces a critical year, but Elon Musk is obsessed with the future
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/8/16990730/tesla-earnings-2017-elon-musk

But Tesla is a study in highs and lows. In contrast, for the first call of 2018, he was effusive, and returned to making bold predictionscongratulatory atmosphere

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 07:49:05 AM »

Pastor you're being too harsh on Elon.  The chap cracked the battery powered car after many failed to do it.  His massive battery in Australia worked as planned a few weeks ago.

In my view he's already an over achiever here on earth....

No sir,
Tesla has nothing on the next EC or autonomous vehicles whether they be from Alphabet,BMW or GM.

Elon Musk mark, if at all, will be in Space

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
vooke - This is why I told you Musk is a marketing guru.. folks at the earnings calls were giving him thumbs up over the flying stunk despite poor financial results.

Tesla faces a critical year, but Elon Musk is obsessed with the future
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/8/16990730/tesla-earnings-2017-elon-musk

But Tesla is a study in highs and lows. In contrast, for the first call of 2018, he was effusive, and returned to making bold predictionscongratulatory atmosphere