Author Topic: Pundit, Darwin Renounce Evolution on His Deathbed  (Read 26219 times)

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
Pundit, Darwin Renounce Evolution on His Deathbed
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »

Darwin was not a Christian, that is, not until shortly before his death. Here is an account of a visit during what was considered his death-bed days:

"He seemed greatly distressed, his fingers twitched nervously, and a look of agony came over his face as he said: 'I was a young man with unformed ideas. I threw out queries, suggestions, wondering all the time over everything, and to my astonishment, the ideas took like wildfire. People made a religion of them.'

Then he paused, and after a few more sentences on 'the holiness of God' and the 'grandeur of this book,' looking at the Bible which he was holding tenderly all the time, he suddenly said: 'I have a summer house in the garden which holds about thirty people. It is over there,' pointing through the open window. 'I want you very much to speak there. I know you read the Bible in the villages. Tomorrow afternoon I should like the servants on the place, some tenants and a few of the neighbours; to gather there. Will you speak to them?'

'What shall I speak about?' I asked.

'Christ Jesus!' he replied in a clear, emphatic voice, adding in a lower tone, 'and his salvation. Is not that the best theme? And then I want you to sing some hymns with them. You lead on your small instrument, do you not?' The wonderful look of brightness and animation on his face as he said this I shall never forget, for he added: 'If you take the meeting at three o'clock this window will be open, and you will know that I am joining in with the singing.' "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
Re: Pundit, Darwin Renounce Evolution on His Deathbed
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:50:39 PM »
Pundit will tell you he was possessed by the demons or witchcraft on those last days since scienec cannot explain it :D.........atheists wouldnt know what to make of this.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
Pundit will tell you he was possessed by the demons or witchcraft on those last days since scienec cannot explain it :D .........atheists wouldnt know what to make of this.
Atheists don't know what to make of many things.  I believe they would be the most comfortable with not knowing. 

My take is that Darwin would have held onto a Koran on his death bed had he been an Arab.  Dying is a scary thing for most normal creatures.

Religion seems like a natural appendage to the average hominid...I don't mean this in any disparaging way.  I think it is a distant relative of dreams.  A safety valve of sorts.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »
Pundit will tell you he was possessed by the demons or witchcraft on those last days since scienec cannot explain it :D .........atheists wouldnt know what to make of this.
Atheists don't know what to make of many things.  I believe they would be the most comfortable with not knowing. 

My take is that Darwin would have held onto a Koran on his death bed had he been an Arab.  Dying is a scary thing for most normal creatures.

Religion seems like a natural appendage to the average hominid...I don't mean this in any disparaging way.  I think it is a distant relative of dreams.  A safety valve of sorts.
I dont consider Darwin average by any measure...but since atheists are "normal creatures", I expect that one day you will be holding the bible close to your heart and telling the youngens to believe on a God you spent most of your life denying ....if it doent happen sooner, how ironical. Do atheists believe in dreams?

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
bittertruth,
My primary authority is the infallible Word of God. scientific theories are not infallible and most don't even pretend to be. New data easily overturns theories in a flash. Evilution in 2014 is far from what it was in 1950. 'Lucy' is an extinct monkey no more a human ancestor. Likewise, when I withdraw an argument, it should not be read to mean my position is weaker than the evilutionist. What I can't bargain/negotiate is the Word of God.

This argument floated to attack Darwinism or defend Creationism is LAME and should be discarded with extreme contempt and prejudice for these commonsensical reasons;

1. The story is uncorroborated, may just be a rumor. I heard even Darwin's wifey was surprised by the news
2. A prominent Christian discarding his faith does not render Creation null. Darwin heavily plagiarized existing ideas and added some of his own. He was not the SOLE evilutionist though he may have been (and still is)the most popular evilutionist

So kindly never ever fight evilution with rumors, it is embarrassing to Christians like me and it makes you easy prey negro! Withdraw right away but keep your faith in Jesus CHrist
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »

I dont consider Darwin average by any measure...but since atheists are "normal creatures", I expect that one day you will be holding the bible close to your heart and telling the youngens to believe on a God you spent most of your life denying ....if it doent happen sooner, how ironical. Do atheists believe in dreams?
If Darwin is religious on his death, bed.  He would be average in that respect.  That's all I mean.

I might hold a Bible.  It seems like a popular thing to do.  But also out of consideration for Christian loved ones.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »

Do atheists believe in dreams?
I have never doubted dreams.  I believe they have a useful function for the overall health of the hominid.  I am thinking religion is a distant a cousin of theirs.

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »

If Darwin is religious on his death, bed.  He would be average in that respect.  That's all I mean.

I might hold a Bible.  It seems like a popular thing to do.  But also out of consideration for Christian loved ones.

hahah ati out of consideration of christians loved ones.....cute, albeit deceitful. On atheism, what do you really believe in? How do you explain this craetion mystery? How does one end up being an atheist? I asked because aethiests seem to have a lot to say about religion, something they dont really bel;ieve in but spend a lot of time trying to figure out.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:00:32 PM »
The whole point is, evolution doesn't make sense on its own. And the only reason to add things like God to it would be if it didn't make sense. Darwin was apologetic to have made atheist religion which some hold strongly to date.
I have also heard many evolutionists (and atheists) who resort to name-calling and belittling of those who do not accept the faulty theory of evolution, claiming that creationists are non-thinkers, unable to reason, don't understand the scientific method, cannot think rationally, etc.

Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »

hahah ati out of consideration of christians loved ones.....cute, albeit deceitful. On atheism, what do you really believe in? How do you explain this craetion mystery? How does one end up being an atheist? I asked because aethiests seem to have a lot to say about religion, something they dont really bel;ieve in but spend a lot of time trying to figure out.
Really.  A lot of people don't even know I am atheist.  Some would be traumatized that such a person can actually exist; let alone someone they know and love.  I remember being shocked way back by revelations that Richard Leakey was an atheist. At times I wonder if it's like being in the closet.

Your question about what I believe in.  The best way to understand it.  Try to answer this.  If you don't believe in Santa, then what do you believe in?

I don't understand creation.  It is a wonderful mystery.  It is even more wonderful when you have the permission to look for the answers.

Most atheists have been religious before.  That is because most humans are social and tend to follow social norms.  Religion is an interesting aspect of human behavior.

Harriet Tubman

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »
vooke,
According to my notes, the quote about Darwin's deathbed days came from "The Life and Death of Charles Darwin" the author was Croft, I believe.
As far a I believe, its a fact.

bittertruth,
My primary authority is the infallible Word of God. scientific theories are not infallible and most don't even pretend to be. New data easily overturns theories in a flash. Evilution in 2014 is far from what it was in 1950. 'Lucy' is an extinct monkey no more a human ancestor. Likewise, when I withdraw an argument, it should not be read to mean my position is weaker than the evilutionist. What I can't bargain/negotiate is the Word of God.

This argument floated to attack Darwinism or defend Creationism is LAME and should be discarded with extreme contempt and prejudice for these commonsensical reasons;

1. The story is uncorroborated, may just be a rumor. I heard even Darwin's wifey was surprised by the news
2. A prominent Christian discarding his faith does not render Creation null. Darwin heavily plagiarized existing ideas and added some of his own. He was not the SOLE evilutionist though he may have been (and still is)the most popular evilutionist

So kindly never ever fight evilution with rumors, it is embarrassing to Christians like me and it makes you easy prey negro! Withdraw right away but keep your faith in Jesus CHrist

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
@Termi

It is indeed like being in the closet because I am yet to meet a devout atheist in person. I have only read of such on blogs etc. On your poor santa analogy, if I didnt believe in santa (who is actually a figment of our imagination meant to entice the kids), then I would believe in nothing...Santa symbolizes or has been associated with christmas which I believe in and you probably dont because that would mean that you believed in the birth of Christ. I dont believe in sanat but enjoy and celebrate christmas, those two are not mutually exclusive. Religion is different, its a total package, comes with its own rules of engagement, requires you to believe, logic and science cannot explain it......but we all know about that...I am curious as to how a christian turns into an atheist.....I am assuming there was a turning point, because most of our decisions are based on experiences learned or otherwise acquired.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
bittertruth,
I find it decidedly inconvenient that ALL of his family members disputed the claims, and besides, what value does his recanting add to Creationism or what blow does it deal the evilution movement?

If Darwin ideas was so personal and subjective, they would not have gained any currency once he kufd
vooke,
According to my notes, the quote about Darwin's deathbed days came from "The Life and Death of Charles Darwin" the author was Croft, I believe.

2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »
vooke,
Various lessons to learn here,  I find that, if I could choose to live with either strictly faith or strictly knowledge of science that I would choose faith based on several things. First, faith is more applicable to living life. An ounce of faith can make up for a boat-load of knowledge in this world. Second, I find that as I grow closer to my God, the more questions I ask, the more I require Him prove Himself to me, the more I start to elevate myself.
I am satisfied to keep learning about God's universe as long as my faith is not an issue in question, as I would rather enter heaven with a little faith than not be permitted based on a slough of "knowledge". I think that, by learning about the universe, you can become a good steward of God's creation. That is indeed why God made the universe, so that we could stand in awe of Him the more we learn about His creation.

bittertruth,
I find it decidedly inconvenient that ALL of his family members disputed the claims, and besides, what value does his recanting add to Creationism or what blow does it deal the evilution movement?

If Darwin ideas was so personal and subjective, they would not have gained any currency once he kufd
vooke,

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
@Termi

It is indeed like being in the closet because I am yet to meet a devout atheist in person. I have only read of such on blogs etc. On your poor santa analogy, if I didnt believe in santa (who is actually a figment of our imagination meant to entice the kids), then I would believe in nothing...Santa symbolizes or has been associated with christmas which I believe in and you probably dont because that would mean that you believed in the birth of Christ. I dont believe in sanat but enjoy and celebrate christmas, those two are not mutually exclusive. Religion is different, its a total package, comes with its own rules of engagement, requires you to believe, logic and science cannot explain it......but we all know about that...I am curious as to how a christian turns into an atheist.....I am assuming there was a turning point, because most of our decisions are based on experiences learned or otherwise acquired.
I enjoy and celebrate Christmas festivities.  I even understand it celebrates the birth of Christ, whose historical existence I have no reason to doubt.

Atheism is an oddity, for sure.  Because it goes against the grain.  Maybe it is even antisocial on some level.  Not sharing the common belief of a group.

I tend to ask questions on the religious.  But I think I should also ask why I am atheistic.  Part of me says, it's because I understood in principle, why Christians(Catholics in my case) believe what they believe. 

The Catholic church, more than most others, pushes the consistency of the religion and beliefs with logic.  You can see that in the Kadame/vooke exchanges.  It also values traditions quite a bit.  Hence the presence of what some might consider strange rituals.  You can ask questions and attempts will be made to answer them logically.

The vookeish evangelicals on the other hand, brooke no challenge to Biblical teachings.  If it contradicts the Bible, you are not supposed to broach it, for lack of a better analogy.  If you do, you will be met with all manner recriminations, prayers and curses, casting of the demons out of you etc.

I think it easier, to make the leap from Catholicism to atheism.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
... I would rather enter heaven with a little faith than not be permitted based on a slough of "knowledge". I think that, by learning about the universe, you can become a good steward of God's creation. That is indeed why God made the universe, so that we could stand in awe of Him the more we learn about His creation.
This is what I mention elsewhere as the evangelical approach.  The Catholics, are willing to admit feedback from the world, up to a certain line that you cannot cross.  The evangelical is ready to discard all knowledge if it contradicts something in the Bible.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
Termie,
Intelligent Design of whatever form is highly scoffed at. Actually, if rigidity is the mark of religion, Evilution is a helluva cult

... I would rather enter heaven with a little faith than not be permitted based on a slough of "knowledge". I think that, by learning about the universe, you can become a good steward of God's creation. That is indeed why God made the universe, so that we could stand in awe of Him the more we learn about His creation.
This is what I mention elsewhere as the evangelical approach.  The Catholics, are willing to admit feedback from the world, up to a certain line that you cannot cross.  The evangelical is ready to discard all knowledge if it contradicts something in the Bible.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »
Irrelevant. We care about evolution[the idea] not darwin[the person].

Offline bittertruth

• Superstar
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
So you buy into the idea of one who clearly knew he was lost [the Darwin].

Irrelevant. We care about evolution[the idea] not darwin[the person].