Author Topic: High court - Chiloba and Chebukati are okay to conduct elections  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Re: High court - Chiloba and Chebukati are okay to conduct elections
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
History & knowledge is basic reading appetite/interest - and a good memory helps - experience bestows wisdom.

Police independence was a major oversight by CoE - who left too much to parliament (Police Act). Jubilee long killed police reform. This of course impacts judiciary and the justice system. The only thing that should be strictly under the executive is KDF and NIS. Kavuludi's NPSC should run the police like JSC does the judiciary.

I think I read all newspapers of 60-70s. I am not that old. Born in 1980s. My father always bought newspapers including international ones & lots of book (got him into trouble with Moi - thrown in for posession of seditious material for a weekend or more). All this coupled by my huge memory. So clearly there is nothing you can teach me.

As regard to my punditry - I am dispassionate pundit. I am equally disappointed that police force - independent as it was envisaged - has been captured by the executive.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:05 PM »
Kavuludi tried but you're dealing with a really rotten police forces - so they threaten the guy by sending be-headed heads :) and eventually they contained him. I really don't care about high profile political case. But yeah I want justice systems that works for someone jailed for stealing a chicken or  selling changaa or the cases that really make the bulk of cases in our courts and affect the mwananchi. Those are the reforms we need to focus.
History & knowledge is basic reading appetite/interest - and a good memory help - experience bestows wisdom.

Police independence was a major oversight by CoE - who left too much to parliament (Police Act). Jubilee long killed police reform. This of course impacts judiciary and the justice system. The only thing that should be strictly under the executive is KDF and NIS. Kauludi's NPSC should run the police like JSC does the judiciary.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Yes you should hear the horrors of being held without bail - you are guilty until proven innocent.

On reforms I think they made a mistake in NPSC - by implanting a civilian - instead of IG. It's like removing CJ from JSC chair. This sows conflict and murks accountability. And also failure to ensure mandatory reforms & timelines - like  judiciary Sharad Rao guillotine.

Kavuludi tried but you're dealing with a really rotten police forces - so they threaten the guy by sending be-headed heads :) and eventually they contained him. I really don't care about high profile political case. But yeah I want justice systems that works for someone jailed for stealing a chicken or  selling changaa or the cases that really make the bulk of cases in our courts and affect the mwananchi. Those are the reforms we need to focus.
History & knowledge is basic reading appetite/interest - and a good memory help - experience bestows wisdom.

Police independence was a major oversight by CoE - who left too much to parliament (Police Act). Jubilee long killed police reform. This of course impacts judiciary and the justice system. The only thing that should be strictly under the executive is KDF and NIS. Kauludi's NPSC should run the police like JSC does the judiciary.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »
Exactly. The kavuludi thing made the police head - form an alliance - with executive. The way forward is to make IG - head of police without answering to some civilians.
Yes you should hear the horrors of being held without bail - you are guilty until proven innocent.

On reforms I think they made a mistake in NPSC - by implanting a civilian - instead of IG. It's like removing CJ from JSC chair. This sows conflict and murks accountability. And also failure to ensure mandatory reforms & timelines - like  judiciary Sharad Rao guillotine.