Author Topic: Dissenting Opinions of Njoki and Ojwang  (Read 18085 times)

Offline vooke

• Enigma
Re: Dissenting Opinions of Njoki and Ojwang
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
All well and good, I note that you are skeptical about the good judge's ruling that explicitly said that criminal acts were committed.
They said illegalities not criminal acts. While rigging is an illegality there is more to the term than just that. We just can't be certain.

Absolving Uhuru of wrong doing is quite telling. Do you think they would have said so if there was clear evidence of rigging in favor of Uhunye?

All said,rigging is not something you would put past the duo; with bottomless pockets and facing real threat from Babu,they may have attempted to compromise IEBC.
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2017, 09:12:13 PM »
Internal consistency of what exactly?

Of the process.   That's what exactly.

I will ignore the electronic data bit as a common application of the term integrity.

Go for it.   But  I recall a lot of noise about servers and what-not in these elections, so I  thought it might be relevant.

IEBC has voters register, they have KIEMS kits,ballot papers and boxes...hardware. I also know the processes that were subject of the petition.

I am asking you to point out which of these does not touch on the results. Here they are;
1. Voting
2. Counting
3. Tallying
4. Transmission
5. Declaration.
6. Communication-pressers...
7. Custody

Come to think of it, I'm starting to believe that there's a false dichotomy between processes and results
2 Timothy 2:4  No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.

Offline Kadame7

• Enigma
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
All well and good, I note that you are skeptical about the good judge's ruling that explicitly said that criminal acts were committed.
Absolving Uhuru of wrong doing is quite telling. Do you think they would have said so if there was clear evidence of rigging in favor of Uhunye?

This is an assumption you and Robina are making: that if the court had found that the illegalities/irregularities favoured Jubilee, it would have indicted Jubilee along with the IEBC. Those are two separate things. If I was judging I would never say that if I caught A doing something that favored B, I would then automatically indict B without evidence of B's own wrongdoing just because he was the beneficiary of the wrong-doing of A. What the court said was that it did not find evidence of Uhuru's wrong doing. And indeed if Uhuru used IEBC, why would the court find otherwise without direct evidence of collusion?

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »

This is an assumption you and Robina are making: that if the court had found that the illegalities/irregularities favoured Jubilee, it would have indicted Jubilee along with the IEBC. Those are two separate things. If I was judging I would never say that if I caught A doing something that favored B, I would then automatically indict B without evidence of B's own wrongdoing just because he was the beneficiary of the party caught doing wrong-doing. What the court said was that it did not find evidence of Uhuru's wrong doing. And indeed if Uhuru used IEBC, why would the court find otherwise without direct evidence of collusion?
Good point. Still, there's zero proof of rigging so far.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2017, 09:38:53 PM »
I am asking you to point out which of these does not touch on the results. Here they are;
1. Voting
2. Counting
3. Tallying
4. Transmission
5. Declaration.
7. Custody

They will all "touch on the results" for the very simple reason that they are all part of a process that ultimately leads to "results".    But that is quite a different matter from what I was responding to, which was this:

With reference to an election, you can't define integrity without reference to the results.

Perhaps an example will help you: There are certain official  forms (34-whatever) that are supposed to be filled with numbers (results), that supposedly have some anti-mischief features, that are supposed to be signed by an authorized person, etc.     

Now consider these two scenarios:

(a) In some cases, the official 34-whatever forms have been filled in, signed by the appropriately authorized person, and so on, .... exactly as laid down in relevant procedures.

(b) In some other cases, the official 34-whatever forms have been replaced with pages from school "exercise books", have not been signed, .... and the relevant procedures have generally been flouted.

Taking (a) and (b) together---and without the slightest regard to the numbers they contain (a.k.a the results)---I am able to say that the overall handing of the forms has been inconsistent, lacks integrity, etc.   

Look, it seems obvious that you are hurting; but you might want to consider a different way of working through it, instead of working yourself into a lather.   Maybe Round 2 will, as you claim "vindicate" Uhuru; and maybe Marage will, as you say, be considered a "another crack judge who wasted Kenya's two months".   But that is still some ways off, and, in any case, life will still go on after that ... Maraga will still be CJ, etc.  So, it seems best that you try to achieve some internal peace right now. Perhaps something like what Uhuru has done ... get thoroughly drunk and blow off some steam for a few hours.    Or perhaps the RV-Pundit approach.   

My last on this thread, so best of luck to you!
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »
1. Voting
2. Counting
3. Tallying
4. Transmission
5. Declaration.
7. Custody

They will all "touch on the results" for the very simple reason that they are all part of a process that ultimately leads to "results".    But that is quite a different matter from what I was responding to, which was this:

With reference to an election, you can't define integrity without reference to the results.

Perhaps an example will help you: There are certain official  forms (34-whatever) that are supposed to be filled with numbers (results), that supposedly have some anti-mischief features, that are supposed to be signed by an authorized person, etc.     

(a) In some cases, the official 34-whatever forms have been filled in, signed by the appropriately authorized person, and so on, .... exactly as laid down in relevant procedures.

(b) In some other cases, the official 34-whatever forms have been replaced with pages from school "exercise books", have not been signed, .... and the relevant procedures have generally been flouted.

Taking (a) and (b) together---and without the slightest regard to the numbers they contain (a.k.a the results)---I am able to say that the overall handing of the forms has been inconsistent, lacks integrity, etc.   

Look, it seems obvious that you are hurting; but you might want to consider a different way of working through it, instead of working yourself into a lather.   Maybe Round 2 will, as you claim "vindicate" Uhuru; and maybe Marage will, as you say, be considered a "another crack judge who wasted Kenya's two months".   But that is still some ways off, and, in any case, life will still go on after that ... Maraga will still be CJ, etc.  So, it seems best that you try to achieve some internal peace right now. Perhaps something like what Uhuru has done ... get thoroughly drunk and blow off some steam for a few hours.    Or perhaps the RV-Pundit approach.   

Both of your examples involve results FYI. You simply can't trust the contents of these documents. The contents are results.

You are the last of people I expected to get personal. You are not patel for heaven sake.

Offline bryan275

• Enigma
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2017, 09:51:53 PM »
They said illegalities not criminal acts. While rigging is an illegality there is more to the term than just that. We just can't be certain.

All said,rigging is not something you would put past the duo; with bottomless pockets and facing real threat from Babu,they may have attempted to compromise IEBC.
breaking electoral law is a criminal offence

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
1. Voting
2. Counting
3. Tallying
4. Transmission
5. Declaration.
7. Custody

Both of your examples involve results FYI. You simply can't trust the contents of these documents. The contents are results.

You are the last of people I expected to get personal. You are not patel for heaven sake.

They involve results only to the extent of their meaninglessness.  They are unusable results because you can't say what they reflect.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2017, 10:08:14 PM »
1. Voting
2. Counting
3. Tallying
4. Transmission
5. Declaration.
7. Custody

They involve results only to the extent of their meaninglessness.  They are unusable results because you can't say what they reflect.
While you may play word games and definitions, half of Kenya believes Babu was rigged out. The other half believes he was thrashed. The former believe SCOK has given Babu another lifeline just as the latter except at the expense of their victory. When he wins they will break into even more wilder cheer,they will say Babu has been vindicated.

What will the former say once Babu is thrashed? 'We can say what the results reflect'?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 10:13:51 PM »

I did state the I had given my last comment, but it seems necessary to return and say this: I did indeed get "personal", but it was not intended to be in a negative way, and I apologize if it came across that way.  I genuinely intended and hoped to give you some helpful advice.

Oh, if by "results" you mean everything that there is on just about everything, then yes.   As I indicate above, I have a simple-minded understanding of "results" in elections: for me they are the numbers on which winners and so forth are declared, the declarations based on said numbers, ...; I have learned something new.    Your interpretation is also interesting in this  way:  we should not interpret the SC's judgement to mean that the "process so tainted that the results are meaningless"; it now appears that the "results" themselves were hopelessly tainted.

Now, I'll definitely leave you guys to it.   

Peace, Love, and Unity.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:57 PM »

I did state the I had given my last comment, but it seems necessary to return and say this: I did indeed get "personal", but it was not intended to be in a negative way, and I apologize if it came across that way.  I genuinely intended and hoped to give you some helpful advice.

Oh, if by "results" you mean everything that there is on just about everything, then yes.   As I indicate above, I have a simple-minded understanding of "results" in elections: for me they are the numbers on which winners and so forth are declared, the declarations based on said numbers, ...; I have learned something new.    Your interpretation is also interesting in this  way:  we should not interpret the SC's judgement to mean that the "process so tainted that the results are meaningless"; it now appears that the "results" themselves were hopelessly tainted.

Now, I'll definitely leave you guys to it.   

Peace, Love, and Unity.
Apologizing if is just as bad as not apologizing. Who told you I'm hurt and in need of a drink? If your pride can't suffer you to unconditionally apologize please keep it thank you.

The numbers used to declare winners and losers are recorded in these forms. That's exactly what I meant by results. Process v results is a false dichotomy; it's all about results.

• Enigma
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2017, 02:42:38 AM »

While you may play word games and definitions, half of Kenya believes Babu was rigged out. The other half believes he was thrashed. The former believe SCOK has given Babu another lifeline just as the latter except at the expense of their victory. When he wins they will break into even more wilder cheer,they will say Babu has been vindicated.

What will the former say once Babu is thrashed? 'We can say what the results reflect'?

Half of Kenya did not make the ruling.  Forgive me if that point is lost on me.  If Babu is trashed in an election with integrity, yes, we can say what the results reflect.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:57 AM »
Suppose there was actually an attempt to compromise SCOK judges as media reports indicate, who or how should that be presented as an election offence? Is bribery of judges and threats to them in the course of adjudicating a petition considered an election offence?
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244

• Enigma
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2017, 12:25:42 PM »
Suppose there was actually an attempt to compromise SCOK judges as media reports indicate, who or how should that be presented as an election offence? Is bribery of judges and threats to them in the course of adjudicating a petition considered an election offence?

Yes, that would be an election offense.  That said, I think it is highly unlikely that they make that finding.  Because they already ruled - incorrectly IMO - that kamwana had no hand in the rigging and made no mention of the attempt to influence in the summary ruling.

Harriet Tubman

Offline vooke

• Enigma
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2017, 12:36:24 PM »
That is not an election offense

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
That is not an election offense

On what basis do you say so? A presidential election petition appears in the constitution as part of the electoral process.
Questions as to validity of presidential election
(1) A person may file a petition in the Supreme Court to challenge the election of the President-elect within seven days after the date of the declaration of the results of the presidential election.
(2) Within fourteen days after the filing of a petition under clause (1), the Supreme Court shall hear and determine the petition and its decision shall be final.
(3) If the Supreme Court determines the election of the President-elect to be invalid, a fresh election shall be held within sixty days after the determination.
If voter bribery is considered an election offence then it beats logic if bribery of judges in an election petition is not equally considered an offence. In fact, bribing petition judges should attract more sanctions.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244