Author Topic: Judge Odunga - get NASA ballot printing case  (Read 4609 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Judge Odunga - get NASA ballot printing case
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:31 PM »
Interesting times ahead. Odunga is NASA certified member ( I think).He had already cancelled the previous tender and IEBC went ahead to single source to the same folks.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/06/22/judge-odunga-tells-nasa-to-serve-al-ghurair-with-court-papers-return_c1584885

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Re: Judge Odunga - get NASA ballot printing case
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »
Interesting times ahead. Odunga is NASA certified member ( I think).He had already cancelled the previous tender and IEBC went ahead to single source to the same folks.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2017/06/22/judge-odunga-tells-nasa-to-serve-al-ghurair-with-court-papers-return_c1584885

I have not seen any evidence of bias.

BTW: Ask Ruto about the meeting Mama Ngina held with Maraga. Then tell him we are 100KM ahead - ALWAYS!
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:07:23 PM »
let the wisdom prevail....there is no way anyone can go to election with ballot printed by Kenyatta family and al Ghulshabaab...serious conflict of interest and recipe for all out war

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
I think Magara should recall the file from Odunga and give it to Majanja. I don't trust him at all. It seems NASA are not interested in election. They want to precipitate a constitutional crisis. Force some NARA caretaker gov to hold elections. They think with Uhuru as PORK they've lost the election before it's start. It now making sense why they've been lacklustre on campaign trail.

Of course the rumours about Magara - is because he has said judges have to be cognizant that election must happen on 8th August as per constitution.

BTW: Ask Ruto about the meeting Mama Ngina held with Maraga. Then tell him we are 100KM ahead - ALWAYS!

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »
This is very good for Kenya and applaud NASA for its tenacity.  What is holding Africa back is bad leadership which is the product of undemocratic governments.  Africa has lots of resources and has received Billions of dollars from donors but has nothing to show for it because of corrupt leaders who come to power by stealing elections.  NASA is doing Kenyans a great service by focusing the attention of wanaichi at the right moment on the process voting and how people are denied their choice by thieves like ouru and Ruto.  The notion that NASA should shut-up because we have to vote on time although there is serious evidence that Ouru and Ruto are intent on stealing the 2017 election as they did 2013 is a ridiculous argument.  I'd rather the election date is changed than having a PEV.   Raila is a honorable man who has achieved a lot in his life time and will accept defeat if its free and fair. Raila has already given this country a lot, multi-party, a new constitution, devolution etc, however, without a free and fair elections, all that is in vain, and that is why we need him to get rid off this idea of stealing elections once and for all.  If Kenya can perfect the art of conducting free and fair elections, development and unity will be easy.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
I still strongly believe there are decent Kenyan who want just and fair society. Judge Odunga and Mumbi Ngugi fits that profile. As of Maranga we know who gave him the job so he has to do bidding for the first family..

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »
Omollo can you confirm  this " Clearing and Forwarding company, Landmark ltd, associated with DP Ruto awarded tender by IEBC for storage and transportation of ballot papers..." God watch over this country

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
Evidence of rigging is what we need.
This is very good for Kenya and applaud NASA for its tenacity.  What is holding Africa back is bad leadership which is the product of undemocratic governments.  Africa has lots of resources and has received Billions of dollars from donors but has nothing to show for it because of corrupt leaders who come to power by stealing elections.  NASA is doing Kenyans a great service by focusing the attention of wanaichi at the right moment on the process voting and how people are denied their choice by thieves like ouru and Ruto.  The notion that NASA should shut-up because we have to vote on time although there is serious evidence that Ouru and Ruto are intent on stealing the 2017 election as they did 2013 is a ridiculous argument.  I'd rather the election date is changed than having a PEV.   Raila is a honorable man who has achieved a lot in his life time and will accept defeat if its free and fair. Raila has already given this country a lot, multi-party, a new constitution, devolution etc, however, without a free and fair elections, all that is in vain, and that is why we need him to get rid off this idea of stealing elections once and for all.  If Kenya can perfect the art of conducting free and fair elections, development and unity will be easy.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »
I think most Kenyans would agree that giving all Kenyans an opportunity to have confidence in the electoral system  is more important than holding elections on August 8, 2017, which is just a date.  The date can easily be changed by a court order if the court finds that the interest of the country is better served by changing the date.  The court may even come up with a remedy that does not require the date to be changed. What we can not accept is being told that we cannot go to court because the elections must be held on August 8, 2017 as if this date was given to us by GOD.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Evidence is given in COURT.  Give the court a chance to review the evidence and listen to the arguments instead of trying to deny NASA and its supporters the right for redress because of expediency.  Its obvious that somebody was counting on the short time frame left before elections to deny NASA and its supporters their constitutional rights.

Evidence of rigging is what we need.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:42 PM »
I am okay with court hearing. Precisely under someone with integrity like Majanja.Odunga should recluse himself. IEBC was recently constituted and now you don't trust them. I guess we need a new IEBC now :)
Evidence is given in COURT.  Give the court a chance to review the evidence and listen to the arguments instead of trying to deny NASA and its supporters the right for redress because of expediency.  Its obvious that somebody was counting on the short time frame left before elections to deny NASA and its supporters their constitutional rights.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:54 PM »
Its not about you pundit. You may not be okay with him but a lot of Kenyans trust him and think he is a man of integrity.  By the way, why should Judge Odunga recuse himself?  Nobody is asking for a new IEBC, we just need to make sure they do their job according to the law and stop using time to skirt the laws.  This is not about expediency, its about free and fair elections.  I still believe that a different company can still Print the ballots and deliver them on time, but if not we can wait a few weeks. I hope we learned from Mutunga's court horrible decision in 2013 that expediency is not justice. 

I am okay with court hearing. Precisely under someone with integrity like Majanja.Odunga should recluse himself. IEBC was recently constituted and now you don't trust them. I guess we need a new IEBC now :)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »

He doesn't come across as one on the take.  His recent ruling about Wavinya concerning a relatively minor dispute puts the Supreme Court ruling on the 2013 petition to shame.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08:07 PM »
I think Magara should recall the file from Odunga and give it to Majanja. I don't trust him at all. It seems NASA are not interested in election. They want to precipitate a constitutional crisis. Force some NARA caretaker gov to hold elections. They think with Uhuru as PORK they've lost the election before it's start. It now making sense why they've been lacklustre on campaign trail.

Of course the rumours about Magara - is because he has said judges have to be cognizant that election must happen on 8th August as per constitution.

Maraga's announcement is ominous.  His only concern should be that the judge apply the law fairly. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
Odunga is not my favourite - he is too mercurial  - I prefer sober minded Majanja and of course Isaac Lenaola - who was promoted to supreme court. Those two - Majanja & Lenaola  -when they were gate-keeping the high court- stuck to the law - not politics.
He doesn't come across as one on the take.  His recent ruling about Wavinya concerning a relatively minor dispute puts the Supreme Court ruling on the 2013 petition to shame.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »
And plunge the country into a constitutional crisis? Magara as head of Judiciary & JSC have to reign on judges & magistrate from overstepping their mandate. Election must be held on 8th August. There is no other way around it. Whatever doesn't get resolved now can become petition after elections have been done. Judges do not have absolute powers - their jurisdiction is limited.IEBC should be allowed to hold elections - otherwise some judge can extend Uhuru stay in power indefinitely?
Maraga's announcement is ominous.  His only concern should be that the judge apply the law fairly. 

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:52 PM »
And plunge the country into a constitutional crisis? Magara as head of Judiciary & JSC have to reign on judges & magistrate from overstepping their mandate. Election must be held on 8th August. There is no other way around it. Whatever doesn't get resolved now can become petition after elections have been done. Judges do not have absolute powers - their jurisdiction is limited.IEBC should be allowed to hold elections - otherwise some judge can extend Uhuru stay in power indefinitely?

Those arguments that can be made in the courts.  If you don't trust the courts to do their job, then there is no point having them.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 08:36:04 PM »
It is tough to read NASA's intention. If I was Uhuru / Jubilee I would let them have their way (new ballot printer, etc) and deminish their chance to cry wolf in August. The date can be altered like in 2013 without affecting Uhuru's chances.

On the contrary, if NASA lose the argument, Al Ghurair will be the chorus starting August.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
Magara cannot....."reign in judges from overstepping their mandate"  administratively. The supreme court can overturn a lower courts case decision based on those arguments if supported by evidence and the law.  The remedy that NASA is seeking here is not the postponement of the elections and therefore the mantra that "elections must be held on August 8, 2017" should not be directed to  NASA's.  However, the if court agrees with NASA then they must put together a remedy that addresses NASA'S concerns and also makes sure the elections are held on August 8, 2017.  What this supreme  court cannot do and must not do is to do what Willy Mutunga's court  did in 2013.  Tell the people of kenya that they are going to let an injustice stand because  "its hands are tied".  A supreme court's hands cannot be tied on an important matter such as "free and fair elections".  There is enough time for the courts to do justice to this matter and still keep the August 8, 2017, date.

Those arguments that can be made in the courts.  If you don't trust the courts to do their job, then there is no point having them.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
I think NASA will have educated the electorate in a way that we never expected.  From now on, Kenyans will be more educated about the electoral process than ever.  Al Ghurair is now a household name and if they printed extra presidential ballots for Ouru, they better know that their reputation as a corporation is on the line because Kenya is watching and so is the whole world.  Most Jubilee supporters think they will be in government all the time and do not realize that 5 years from now, they maybe in the NASA'S shoes.

It is tough to read NASA's intention. If I was Uhuru / Jubilee I would let them have their way (new ballot printer, etc) and deminish their chance to cry wolf in August. The date can be altered like in 2013 without affecting Uhuru's chances.

On the contrary, if NASA lose the argument, Al Ghurair will be the chorus starting August.