Author Topic: Kenya rolling out it's national electricity program in half the time it took USA  (Read 5615 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
If Kenya reaches universal access by 2020, it will have achieved in seven years a level of electrification that took the US a total of 33 years to reach,

https://qz.com/882938/kenya-is-rolling-out-its-national-electricity-program-in-half-the-time-it-took-america/

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
Pundit, take it easy with the  childish, "my father is better than your father" arguments. "wangapi walikuja hapa na SGR" ?  -ISO Ruto.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
Technology and economics - capital ecosystem - have changed dramatically since so it's a bogus comparison. By the time the US built their grid, rail, road networks we were actually hunting and gathering. That is the proper comparison :D
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
What technology and economic are you talking about. Electricity was discovered last century. US electrified in 1930s. I don't know what you mean by hunting -It ended 2000 yrs ago. To electrify has not changed..you still need to lay wires and transformers. Sometime think before typing.
Technology and economics - capital ecosystem - have changed dramatically since so it's a bogus comparison. By the time the US built their grid, rail, road networks we were actually hunting and gathering. That is the proper comparison :D

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
I am actually amazed by our fast we are electrifying. I told Windy City that development once you get all the stuff right - can be pretty fast.
Pundit, take it easy with the  childish, "my father is better than your father" arguments. "wangapi walikuja hapa na SGR" ?  -ISO Ruto.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
You're comparing developments that happened 80years apart... there are technologies for efficient building now that didn't exist in 1930. Like earthmovers, better cabling, generation methods, smart grids,etc. There is even wireless transmission in the works. Households with solar panels and storage are supplying the grid in Australia and US. Electric vehicle superchargers are coming up with self sufficiency... off-grid. The grid is almost an antique Mister, not an achievement. It may be ok for us but hardly anything to write home about.

What technology and economic are you talking about. Electricity was discovered last century. US electrified in 1930s. I don't know what you mean by hunting -It ended 2000 yrs ago. To electrify has not changed..you still need to lay wires and transformers. Sometime think before typing.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
This is nonsense. Connection of utilities should be the responsibility of the utility companies. They should invest in more connections and recover their money over time. It should not be government business.

NASA will open the Energy sector to competition and allow other actors to compete with Uhuru's mother. Companies that were created to ensure competition will be resurrected from the graves where Uhuru dumped them. The power lines (Grid) will become the property of the state to be shared by all actors. There will be an exchange where prices will be competitive so consumers can select the cheapest.

There will be competition therefore to connect as many people are possible to increase the customer base.

The nonsense of connecting a few people and then boasting about it or inflating the numbers will end just like Man vs Car Annual Competition ended when the 4 stroke engine was invented.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
I am even surprised Pundit brought up issues like electrification or SGR when Kenyans supposedly base their votes purely on tribe. I do not understand why Ouru is even bothering to campaign because the numbers are already locked in.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Why do you need earth mover in electricity supply? Better cabling like how?  Electrification has not changed.Kenya is doing great.
You're comparing developments that happened 80years apart... there are technologies for efficient building now that didn't exist in 1930. Like earthmovers, better cabling, generation methods, smart grids,etc. There is even wireless transmission in the works. Households with solar panels and storage are supplying the grid in Australia and US. Electric vehicle superchargers are coming up with self sufficiency... off-grid. The grid is almost an antique Mister, not an achievement. It may be ok for us but hardly anything to write home about.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
By the time NASA get to power - Kenya will enjoy universal access to power. My only wish after that is to split Kenya Power into companies that can compete or to fine them heavily if power supply is erratic and for every power cut lasting some few minutes. ERC has to grow balls as the regulator.
This is nonsense. Connection of utilities should be the responsibility of the utility companies. They should invest in more connections and recover their money over time. It should not be government business.

NASA will open the Energy sector to competition and allow other actors to compete with Uhuru's mother. Companies that were created to ensure competition will be resurrected from the graves where Uhuru dumped them. The power lines (Grid) will become the property of the state to be shared by all actors. There will be an exchange where prices will be competitive so consumers can select the cheapest.

There will be competition therefore to connect as many people are possible to increase the customer base.

The nonsense of connecting a few people and then boasting about it or inflating the numbers will end just like Man vs Car Annual Competition ended when the 4 stroke engine was invented.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
Stability is still a major problem.  A little rain and the power is off for days in the rural arrears.  Electrification has nothing to do with Jubilee and will continue even at a faster pace with NASA in power.

By the time NASA get to power - Kenya will enjoy universal access to power. My only wish after that is to split Kenya Power into companies that can compete or to fine them heavily if power supply is erratic and for every power cut lasting some few minutes. ERC has to grow balls as the regulator.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
That has to do with trees falling on power lines. Power should not go for days. They should repair immediately. Also lots of idle youths can be employed to cut off trees along the power lines. I am not sure if NASA will fasten the rate - but definitely JUBILEE has nearly doubled the NARA pace. That is probably accidental or incidentally - but I doubt it. It has everything to do with Jubilee working hard to supply electricity to even grass thatch houses.
Stability is still a major problem.  A little rain and the power is off for days in the rural arrears.  Electrification has nothing to do with Jubilee and will continue even at a faster pace with NASA in power.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma

Kenyans do not disagree on electrification and therefore this is a none issue.  Borrowing huge amounts of money for projects such as SGR is  another issue because  the jury is still out on that one except for  those who profited in terms of huge kick backs and the Kenyattaa family  who managed to divert the 2nd phase to Naivasha so that they can sell or lease their stolen land for huge profits. 

That has to do with trees falling on power lines. Power should not go for days. They should repair immediately. Also lots of idle youths can be employed to cut off trees along the power lines. I am not sure if NASA will fasten the rate - but definitely JUBILEE has nearly doubled the NARA pace. That is probably accidental or incidentally - but I doubt it. It has everything to do with Jubilee working hard to supply electricity to even grass thatch houses.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
I see some people come here and spread propaganda like you've got some audience here. People here are intelligent - so let not spread rumours - and insult our intelligence.
Fact 1: Jubilee has doubled or trippled the rate of electrification compared to NARA.They also brought down cost from 35-75k to 15k.
Fact 2: SGR our largest investment ever was delivered 2yrs ahead of schedule.That is pretty amazing.
Fact 3: SGR as per NARA would have cost 340B - Jubilee brought it down to 320 including ROLLING STOCKS. NARA had wanted to give the deal to some fake CRCB Kenya - Jubilee gave it to real CRBC. Jubilee didn't lose us 100B..they saved us 100B.
Fact 4: SGR will pay off in less time. If you move 22m tonnes or about 1.5m containers -arriving in single day instead of a week- at 50k(instead of 100k) to Nairobi - that is already 75B cost saving to economy - leave alone time savings.
Fact 5: SGR dry port in Naivasha is because of Olkaria Geothermal- which is our reliable source of power. I don't even think kenyatta own land there. Kengen as far as I know will "donate" the land for establishment of industrial park.

Kenyans do not disagree on electrification and therefore this is a none issue.  Borrowing huge amounts of money for projects such as SGR is  another issue because  the jury is still out on that one except for  those who profited in terms of huge kick backs and the Kenyattaa family  who managed to divert the 2nd phase to Naivasha so that they can sell or lease their stolen land for huge profits. 

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
KM

Where you live ( I guess outside US), do you have to pay some power company millions to get connected?

We have reached a stage where The Razor and Razor Blade Business model should take over.

The age of mega HEP plants should also be a thing of the past. There are many small rivers which should be dammed, the environment around them protected by planting trees and grass while limiting cultivation of crops on slopes. These can cost less and generate enough power to pump water to the local community free and sell the surplus to the power companies at competitive prices.

Uhuru has not split KPL because Mom would suffer.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
Fact:  Most Kenyans are worse off than they were during NARA.  Unemployment, poverty and high cost of living cannot be alleviated by electrification, SGR and a few trial tablets in selected primary schools. 

I see some people come here and spread propaganda like you've got some audience here. People here are intelligent - so let not spread rumours - and insult our intelligence.
Fact 1: Jubilee has doubled or trippled the rate of electrification compared to NARA.They also brought down cost from 35-75k to 15k.
Fact 2: SGR our largest investment ever was delivered 2yrs ahead of schedule.That is pretty amazing.
Fact 3: SGR as per NARA would have cost 340B - Jubilee brought it down to 320 including ROLLING STOCKS. NARA had wanted to give the deal to some fake CRCB Kenya - Jubilee gave it to real CRBC. Jubilee didn't lose us 100B..they saved us 100B.
Fact 4: SGR will pay off in less time. If you move 22m tonnes or about 1.5m containers -arriving in single day instead of a week- at 50k(instead of 100k) to Nairobi - that is already 75B cost saving to economy - leave alone time savings.
Fact 5: SGR dry port in Naivasha is because of Olkaria Geothermal- which is our reliable source of power. I don't even think kenyatta own land there. Kengen as far as I know will "donate" the land for establishment of industrial park.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
You are such a LIAR it beat imagination.

Let's move to the proof and evidence level. Show how how Jubilee brought the cost down by 100B.

These fellows have adapted the most irritating form of propaganda where they pick on something they are guilty as sin and simply say its the opposition that did it.

NARA contract signed was 200B give or take. Jubilee re-tendered and raised it to 350. It was the same contract no change except the amount involved.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Dec 2012- NARA -

You are such a LIAR it beat imagination.

Let's move to the proof and evidence level. Show how how Jubilee brought the cost down by 100B.

These fellows have adapted the most irritating form of propaganda where they pick on something they are guilty as sin and simply say its the opposition that did it.

NARA contract signed was 200B give or take. Jubilee re-tendered and raised it to 350. It was the same contract no change except the amount involved.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
If Kenya reaches universal access by 2020, it will have achieved in seven years a level of electrification that took the US a total of 33 years to reach,

https://qz.com/882938/kenya-is-rolling-out-its-national-electricity-program-in-half-the-time-it-took-america/

Some elementary reasoning would help.  In addition to the fact that most USA electrification took place at  time when technology, transportation, etc. were not what they are today---it might come as a surprise to you, but the technology has changed, materials have to be transported, etc.---you have forgotten a most basic fact:

Area of USA:    9,826,630    square kilometres
Area of Kenya:    582,650    square kilometres

Here's an exercise you will find useful:    Put your hands around your neck.   Now, gently reach above the neck.   There, you will find a roundish object.  It's called a head, and, contrary to what you might think, it has a purpose other than serving as a hatstand.   So, use it accordingly.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Normally you type rubbish here - but this time round you've outdone yourself.

Let forget about US for now - pick any contemporary Africa country - and show us who is electrifying at Kenya rate - you can try TZ,Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda or any country.US in 1930 was rich country - It was a super-power then - and what has size has to do with anything - if size was critical - why isn't Burundi or any small country not 100% electrified. US is big country with lots of people and lots of money. Size doesn't matter.

There has been no significant change of technology in stuff like building a house or supplying power or building a road - enough to change anything - it still as hard as it was to lay wires and poles - I don't know what technology you're talking about honestly - you may been totally out of reality - but ask around what entails supplying power? - still manual process that involve poles being trucked to be treated - trucked back - and manually digging up poles - pulling poles - and name it.

Talk about telcom or banking - and you have a point there.

Maybe tech has improved so significantly the last 10yrs - because btw 1900-2006 - we only managed to electrify 12% of the country - Kibaki 10yrs took us from 12-30% - Jubilee in 4.5% have taken us from 30% to 60%. Tell us what new disruptive technology has made this possible?

What matters is not "technology" - it the investment in infrastructure that GOK has put down - that has ensured you get connected for "free" at loan from GOK - which pushed connection from NARA 250K per year to now 1.3M or plus annually.

Some elementary reasoning would help.  In addition to the fact that most USA electrification took place at  time when technology, transportation, etc. were not what they are today---it might come as a surprise to you, but the technology has changed, materials have to be transported, etc.---you have forgotten a most basic fact:

Area of USA:    9,826,630    square kilometres
Area of Kenya:    582,650    square kilometres

Here's an exercise you will find useful:    Put your hands around your neck.   Now, gently reach above the neck.   There, you will find a roundish object.  It's called a head, and, contrary to what you might think, it has a purpose other than serving as a hatstand.   So, use it accordingly.