Author Topic: Volvo Rolls  (Read 1480 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Volvo Rolls
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Volvo Rolls
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:23 AM »
Isn't that awesome.  With machine learning, they will not only start off equipped with the technology, but they will get better and safer over the lifetime of the vehicle.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »
Isn't that awesome.  With machine learning, they will not only start off equipped with the technology, but they will get better and safer over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Volvo and Mercedes are always ahead in truck technology. When rolling back became a huge problem they guaranteed against that. Whether powered or not their trucks could never roll back. You could reverse using a gear but no roll back.

Some of the technology in these trucks is futuristic. While Chinese trucks are cheaper and could even carry more, these European (well, if there is such a thing any more) compensate for that with technology. Sadly when having to purchase there is greater emphasis on the pricing, which gives China a clear advantage.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 05:01:32 PM »

Volvo and Mercedes are always ahead in truck technology. When rolling back became a huge problem they guaranteed against that. Whether powered or not their trucks could never roll back. You could reverse using a gear but no roll back.

Some of the technology in these trucks is futuristic. While Chinese trucks are cheaper and could even carry more, these European (well, if there is such a thing any more) compensate for that with technology. Sadly when having to purchase there is greater emphasis on the pricing, which gives China a clear advantage.

That tech looks a lot like the proximity sensor tech used in self-driving cars.  It's simple technology, but has a multiplier effect when used together with software technology especially AI.

If you are allergic to even minute levels of dust, you might like this gadget.

"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »
You would need to change the bag and filter pretty often. I find these stand alone vacuum cleaners very unhealthy. They are harmful to those who are truly allergic to dust.

If you want something that eliminates all that then acquire a central vacuum cleaner. It may not move around as you sleep but when you use it, the dust definitely leaves the house.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »

Volvo is actually owned by Chinese company Geeley nowadays :) Funny how things have evolved. However most rnd still happen in sweden...so how long till chinese acquire this tech? Chinese now literally own mobile phone manufacturing and the are moving massive exponential fast technology-wise.

Have visited volvo museum and neighbourhood sometime back and its chinese and indians who get things done.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 01:15:56 AM »

Volvo is actually owned by Chinese company Geeley nowadays :) Funny how things have evolved. However most rnd still happen in sweden...so how long till chinese acquire this tech? Chinese now literally own mobile phone manufacturing and the are moving massive exponential fast technology-wise.

Have visited volvo museum and neighbourhood sometime back and its chinese and indians who get things done.
Yeah! That's why I was lost for words when saying European! They kept R&D in Sweden partly to keep their share of the market in the EU.

Most of these vehicles are made outside Europe. I don't actually know which vehicle is made in Europe anymore. Maybe leyland mini. It's gone on for over four decades. I bought a BMW once and found the engine was made by Nissan. Volvo 850 series was made in the Philippines but finished in Sweden. Mercedes moved most production in Brazil.

It's all about lab our costs and tough trade unions. That's why I laugh aloud when Trump says he will bring back jobs. He'll bring them back for robots!