Author Topic: Why are Jubileeidiots opposed to rent reduction?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline patel

• Enigma
Why are Jubileeidiots opposed to rent reduction?
« on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:27 AM »
been monitoring this issue among friends as well as on social media and i could not help but notice Jubilee supporters resistance to this issue of rent reduction
why would anyone be opposed to such a noble idea? is it because its impossible to implement rent reduction or because of the person who suggested it?

Can Raila Bring Down The Cost Of Rent As He Claimed On TV?

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Why are Jubileeidiots opposed to rent reduction?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
Free market economy is more crucial than Raila nyef nyef; Let Raila and Kidero build cheap housing for the poor - in places like Eastland and Kibera - otherwise this is just lying to urban poor while alarming the mostly kikuyu landlords.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
Free market economy is more crucial than Raila nyef nyef; Let Raila and Kidero build cheap housing for the poor - in places like Eastland and Kibera - otherwise this is just lying to urban poor while alarming the mostly kikuyu landlords.
This is one of the reasons why Raila or Nasa can't make inroads in kiuk dominated areas. Most kiuks even the poor ones aspire to be landlords and the idea of controlling rents yet the cost of constructing or acquiring land isn't controlled scares every investor.  That announcement and wetangula diatribe about central province is being used to motivate kiuks to vote against Nasa.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:08 PM »
These are ideological differences between our political movements. The poor would vote for Raila if they knew what is good for them.

ODM/NASA - economic and social liberals who like social "safety nets" for the vulnerable, same as the western Left
Jubilee - center-right pro-business/free market coalition. The Ruto wing is socially conservative: recall the anti-abortion, anti-gay, family values URP

Of course tribalism blinds everyone and we are left with rich and poor folks scoring against themselves.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
These are ideological differences between our political movements. The poor would vote for Raila if they knew what is good for them.

ODM/NASA - economic and social liberals who like social "safety nets" for the vulnerable, same as the western Left
Jubilee - center-right pro-business/free market coalition. The Ruto wing is socially conservative: recall the anti-abortion, anti-gay, family values URP

Of course tribalism blinds everyone and we are left with rich and poor folks scoring against themselves.

Free market economy only breeds greed and greedy. Look at USA!!! and healthcare.
What ever happened to govt investment in housing???

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »
Why does the government control the price of petroleum?
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
I take this to be your personal subjective opinion. You are not (to the best of my knowledge) an elected representative of the Kikuyu nor have you ever been appointed their spokesman.

That said, the propaganda that Kikuyus are idiosyncratic and not at all conformal to the problems and challenges of other Kenyans remains a rumor peddled by the Kikuyu intelligentsia. Poor people all over the country want lower living costs including rent.

Rents reduction is not and will never be one of the reasons Raila receives few votes in Kikuyuland. Kikuyu tribal voting trends have a different explanation. One which I would be more than willing to discuss with you.

If what you say is true explain why Ngilu, Musyoka, Mudavadi got such lousy votes in Central? Were they advocating for controlled rent?

Lastly familiarize yourself with the laws that protect tenants:  Rent Restriction Act Cap 296 then next time you meet Kikuyus, tell them their plans to be landlords will demand they comply with that.

This is one of the reasons why Raila or Nasa can't make inroads in kiuk dominated areas. Most kiuks even the poor ones aspire to be landlords and the idea of controlling rents yet the cost of constructing or acquiring land isn't controlled scares every investor.  That announcement and wetangula diatribe about central province is being used to motivate kiuks to vote against Nasa.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe the law also stipulates that controlled rent are those of 2500 and below. Even in most slums rent is 3k. Rent of 2500 above isn't controlled and the landlord can raise rent depending on the lease since its a contractual agreement. The law can control increment but can't force landlords to arbitrary lower rent, from my understanding I could be wrong.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
This old law that need to be repealed. We are liberalized free market economy. It probably why there is no serious investment in lower segment housing.
I could be wrong, but I believe the law also stipulates that controlled rent are those of 2500 and below. Even in most slums rent is 3k. Rent of 2500 above isn't controlled and the landlord can raise rent depending on the lease since its a contractual agreement. The law can control increment but can't force landlords to arbitrary lower rent, from my understanding I could be wrong.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:36 AM »
Your understanding is wrong. Simply put

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:22 AM »
This old law that need to be repealed. We are liberalized free market economy. It probably why there is no serious investment in lower segment housing.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 01:11:44 PM »
If there is monopoly or oligopoly like in downstream oil sector then price controls are welcomed. The regulation by so called rent tribunal are plain rubbish. I know of several cases of people living illegaly in other people house after running to such tribunals.

It need to be repealed. Once you allow free market in the lower housing; the market will provide housing for any prices.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
No country in the world, that wants to progress, espouses to a free market economy. The most advanced economies - Sweeden et al, have lots of controls to check on greed. Humans are born to be greedy and it is the reason we have some of the most expensive real estate in Kenya.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
The USA? Free market - curb greed - it just that it not possible to have completely free market - so gov has to regulate - to ensure everyone is playing by the rules.
No country in the world, that wants to progress, espouses to a free market economy. The most advanced economies - Sweeden et al, have lots of controls to check on greed. Humans are born to be greedy and it is the reason we have some of the most expensive real estate in Kenya.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
Pundit

Clearly you are no fan of this law. I am sure you are not alone. If I go by what HK wrote, "Kikuyus" would definitely not welcome that law. From my own experience I know many landlords who hate the law. When I owned some houses and was a landlord I too got irritated by the law until I sold some and gave away the rest as sadaka. I think I felt great relief perhaps similar to what Tax Collectors who came to Jesus to repent felt!

The fact that I sold some made me feel a bit like Ananias. I placed my personal interests ahead of my humanity! I had to make serious sacrifices.

I urge you reconnect with your humanity and stop fighting laws that mildly help the poor!

Anyway worry not because Raila will take power in August and as he promised will bring down the rent within 90 days.

I am sure HK and "Kikuyus" fear that they will be lynched or some such thing. No. Standard rents will be assessed and established and landlords granted incentives such as waiving the huge taxes which they pass on to tenants.

I am sure "Kikuyus" and HK will be happy to be released from the tax burden by Raila Odinga. A tax burden imposed by Uhuru Kenyatta to collect money which is then wasted in corruption.

If there is monopoly or oligopoly like in downstream oil sector then price controls are welcomed. The regulation by so called rent tribunal are plain rubbish. I know of several cases of people living illegaly in other people house after running to such tribunals.

It need to be repealed. Once you allow free market in the lower housing; the market will provide housing for any prices.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
Jubilee has no plan at all to deal with rents going off the roof and making life miserable for thousands of urban dwellers.  The government's job is to solve problems and NOT to out-source peoples problems to the forces of free market .  There are short term, Mid term and long term solutions to tackle urban low income housing problems and rent control is short term measures that has been used elsewhere. The government cannot sit around and lecture people about free market forces when they homeless, hungry and cannot afford to sustain life.

The USA? Free market - curb greed - it just that it not possible to have completely free market - so gov has to regulate - to ensure everyone is playing by the rules.
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
Most kikuyus are tenants and not landlords.

Pundit

Clearly you are no fan of this law. I am sure you are not alone. If I go by what HK wrote, "Kikuyus" would definitely not welcome that law. From my own experience I know many landlords who hate the law. When I owned some houses and was a landlord I too got irritated by the law until I sold some and gave away the rest as sadaka. I think I felt great relief perhaps similar to what Tax Collectors who came to Jesus to repent felt!

The fact that I sold some made me feel a bit like Ananias. I placed my personal interests ahead of my humanity! I had to make serious sacrifices.

I urge you reconnect with your humanity and stop fighting laws that mildly help the poor!

Anyway worry not because Raila will take power in August and as he promised will bring down the rent within 90 days.

I am sure HK and "Kikuyus" fear that they will be lynched or some such thing. No. Standard rents will be assessed and established and landlords granted incentives such as waiving the huge taxes which they pass on to tenants.

I am sure "Kikuyus" and HK will be happy to be released from the tax burden by Raila Odinga. A tax burden imposed by Uhuru Kenyatta to collect money which is then wasted in corruption.

"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
Rather most kikuyu are like other Kenyans - live in slums.
Yes if the govt does not address housing issues early on, they'll have to hire more police to address the social evils or poverty.

Most kikuyus are tenants and not landlords.

Pundit

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 11:19:49 PM »
Rather most kikuyu are like other Kenyans - live in slums.
Yes if the govt does not address housing issues early on, they'll have to hire more police to address the social evils or poverty.

I might as well attempt to set the record straight: I did not make that claim.

All over Kenya I see all Kenyans - Kikuyus included - very angry about the ditch in which Uhuru and Ruto have driven this country. One guy in a slum pulling all his worldly belongings behind him in a sack summed it all:

"I was pulling this sack when Uhuru came to power and four years later I am still pulling the sack while they tell me Raila is dangerous. This time I am not listening. I will vote for Raila even if just for change. I lose nothing by voting for him" (to summarize )

Somebody just keeps on repeating in their ear that they are getting the best and surely the others huko Ujaluoni are worse off! Many have hitherto swallowed it hook, liner and sinker!

Sadly many educated Kikuyus usually ascribe views and opinions to the Kikuyu peasants. They attempt to think for them and by and large carpet bomb them with propaganda through the vernacular radio stations so that the lies get a tincture of truth and tip the scales in the favor of the propagandists. Social Media cannot be ignored anymore. Messages are reaching the darkest corners to offer hope to the poor in the slums of Nyeri, those locked up in their own homes because of jiggers in Murang'a and the retarded young and old locked up in attics in Kiambu.

I am not one to celebrate Kenyan distempers that may receive more publicity than others (my record is clear) however the greatest illness that affects our Kikuyu brothers is the poison that their intelligentsia spray in the atmosphere;
in their adulterated brookside milk; poor quality "sugar" that when in hotels white men mistake it for cigarette ash sand; Counterfeit medicine; and in their dirty drinking water and expensive contaminated grain.

They feed them on a diet guaranteed to keep them docile as they wait for Muthamaki to fix everything and guard Uthamaki with their hate of Raila and any voice that contradicts the accepted message!

In no way do I mean this is unique to Kikuyus. Others too have more or less related poison being dished out and they wait for it! Ruto served special poison to the Kalenjin in 2007. Some of us celebrated because it suited us. Come 2013 and he altered the secret formula he inherited from Moi and the beneficiaries of the modified poison turned their anger in our direction. God only knows why it did not reach the 2007 levels. Perhaps it is true as Churchill told Kenya Colony: magnanimity can only grow from victory!

In 1997 a number of failed politicians receiving money from KANU over preached their message to the youth and witchdoctors at the Coast. The casualty figure remains unknown even if thanks to it, Tom Mboya's killer who was hiding there was found and disemboweled.

Offline hk

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
Your understanding is wrong. Simply put
On the contrary, government doesn't have power to arbitrary reduce rent. What the government can control is the increment. No government official can come to my building and tell me what I should charge rent. If someone wants to address house shortage, they should start with giving titles to slumlords so that they can put up proper buildings with all the amenities. This will lead to  increased supply of available houses thus reducing rent.