Author Topic: What Jesus said about hell  (Read 35518 times)

Offline kadame

• VIP
  • Mega superstar
Re: What Jesus said about hell
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
That makes me revisit the big Question "Is SDA a Cult?"
No, they are not.

They are a very regular protestant church except they go to church on Saturday and not Sunday. They also have an extra, extra, extra dose of anti-Catholicism beyond the usual dose among some protestants. This is because Ellen G. White told them that the end times will consist in the Catholic Church establishing a "sunday law" which it will use to persecute and kill Adventists for not worshiping on Sunday. Anti-Catholicism is therefore a central part of their belief system in a way that it is not in other churches. I believe the Pope has 666 somewhere beneath his mitre on his head, per the best SDA wisdom, and his non-existent title (vicarius filii Dei) is supposed to add up to 666 :D  They also follow some dietary laws from the old testament and some extra additions, like not eating meat and sticking to vegetarian meals. They have Pascha (Easter) not on the regular Easter but on three/four designated times a year, i think every three/four months. They do the whole shebang, washing each others' feet and wiping them and the last supper. I think its a lovely practice. :) They don't celebrate Christmas (At least not in church, anyway....at home, its a completely different story :D). They have a week long camp every year--it has a special name but I forget. SDAs take hymns very seriously and they do their singing very well. When they visit each other at home, or in the Hospital, they will always do a prayer and a song and the songs are always lovely. As you are now aware, they also believe in soul sleep and they believe that St. Michael the Archangel is not a regular angel (creature) but rather Christ.

Those are the only peculiarities about SDAs that set them apart from others. Besides those, they are really much like any other protestants. Not weird at all. :)
Just my 0.02 Kshs. wave  ;)

Offline TheDayTheDollarDies

• VIP
  • Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
gehenna , from the Hebrew name , "Valley of
Hinnom." According to the Old Testament, in this gorge
south of Jerusalem, kings Ahaz and Manasseh conducted
the horrendous pagan rite of burning children to Molech (2
Chron. 28:3 , 33:6 ) . Later, godly king Josiah brought the
practice to a halt (2 Kings 23:10 ). Because of the sins
perpetrated in it, Jeremiah prophesied that God would
make the place a "valley of slaughter" (Jer. 7:32-33 ; 19:6 ).
Hence, for the Jews, the valley became a symbol of the
last judgment and the punishment of the impenitent. Jesus
used the name figuratively, without explaining any details
regarding the time and place of the punishment, which we
find in other biblical passages. Hell, though, is not a place
of eternal punishment.

Are you trying to rewrite the Bible? Who told you that the "Parable" of the Rich man and Lazarus was a Parable?

Offline GeeMail

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:42 PM »
Wow, Kadame! Are you Adventist? You seem to know the church very well. Slightly off on some points but I salute your understanding of the church and the lifestyle of Adventists (even Christmas, :D). I will be posting some things here that will tell you more about Adventists and what we believe.
Celebratory violence: 2017 crime invented to justify killings to prevent Raila from becoming PORK. http://www.nipate.com/download/file.php?id=4244