Author Topic: What happens if electoral college vote against a popular candidate  (Read 2426 times)

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
USA elections process seems very undemocratic.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: What happens if electoral college vote against a popular candidate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 11:02:53 PM »
Electoral wins always. Gore won popular vote but lost electoral. It was meant to give voice to small states the like of Delaware.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:11:13 AM »
I think US electoral college system is more democratic than our majority vote. It is closer to parliamentary where all regions matter regardless of pure tyranny.

EC favors Republicans currently.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 03:23:41 AM »

The states vote for electors.  The electors choose the President.  So the electoral college is the only determinant.  You can have turnout differentials in some states that could tip the popular vote to a loser.  But you have to look at it as States voting for the President rather than individuals.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 03:25:10 AM »
I think US electoral college system is more democratic than our majority vote. It is closer to parliamentary where all regions matter regardless of pure tyranny.

EC favors Republicans currently.

I am not high on Florida right now.  Too close for comfort.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:15:23 AM »
if Trump wins markets are on the verge.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 06:59:29 AM »
Sad day for the world ??????

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
Why? Trump is what the world need. Us that retreats to deal with it's issues, respect international bodies and doesn't try to police the world.

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:04 AM »

The states vote for electors.  The electors choose the President.  So the electoral college is the only determinant.  You can have turnout differentials in some states that could tip the popular vote to a loser.  But you have to look at it as States voting for the President rather than individuals.

Then what is the point of voters voting for president if it's the delegates decision is supreme?

I would have expected the voters to vote delegates only and not presidency.

Offline Kadame5

• Superstar
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »
Why? Trump is what the world need. Us that retreats to deal with it's issues, respect international bodies and doesn't try to police the world.

I have been unable to surpoort either candidate because of this issue: I dont want a Hillary Clinton who seems to itch for war with Russia...talk about disaster!:o And yet Trump talks like he can just deploy nuclear weapons without much thought!!! Both have seemed to me careless and like they may bring the world to a nuclear exchange.

I really hope Trump was just in campaign mode and that he will now act presidential with the help of an army of establishment Republicans because HE IS THE NEW PRESIDENT!!!. No more room for doubt any more.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 11:46:51 AM »
Trump has no foreign policy his has gut instinct. His speech was honest when he said he needs help to govern. He is more shocked be won.

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 05:34:39 AM »

Then what is the point of voters voting for president if it's the delegates decision is supreme?

I would have expected the voters to vote delegates only and not presidency.

That is exactly what they do.  It can still be improved upon.  For instance the allocation of electors proportionally to the vote the candidate gets in a state rather than the current winner-take-all approach of most states.

I don't think the smaller states will ever agree to a popular vote approach for a Presidential election.  Because candidates will totally ignore them and focus on the big states and cities.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
It was equally desirable, that the immediate election should be made by men most capable of analyzing the qualities adapted to the station, and acting under circumstances favorable to deliberation, and to a judicious combination of all the reasons and inducements which were proper to govern their choice. A small number of persons, selected by their fellow-citizens from the general mass, will be most likely to possess the information and discernment requisite to such complicated investigations.

https://www.congress.gov/resources/display/content/The+Federalist+Papers#TheFederalistPapers-68

There's already a change petition (Electoral College Electors: Electoral College Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19) signed by over 3.3m and counting demanding the Electoral College does just that. Of course, the chances of that happening are quite slim if nonexistent.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 06:55:55 PM »
Democracts are screwed..Hillary won 2 more million votes than the Donald
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5827a2c5e4b02d21bbc91bbc/comments

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 07:28:29 PM »
It's the liberals and the urban dwellers who want tyranny of numbers back. They wouldn't be agitating had they won. This is hypocrisy.