Author Topic: Uhuru Kenyatta Paranoia Locks Down Mombasa  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
Uhuru Kenyatta Paranoia Locks Down Mombasa
« on: March 13, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
I hope he continues with this. He had been pretending that he is "Presidential" and sending Ruto and Kuria to fight Raila. Once a thug and drug addict always a drug addict and thug. You can make any man president but you cannot take the drug addict and thug out of him. No matter how you try.

Joho is having the time of his life. I am now convinced Uhuru will be a one term president. One should choose his enemies carefully.

This abuse of power will come to haunt him. He has now established that a man can be detained and deprived of his freedom until the President leaves a specific location. Let his supporters take note of that new law.

... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
Re: Uhuru Kenyatta Paranoia Locks Down Mombasa
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »

Governor Joho confronts GSU officers after blocked from attending President Uhuru Kenyatta's event

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/841218813785985024/vid/320x180/_QA4VEbEVMA8PELH.mp4

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:46:09 PM »
You can't force people to vote for you. Otherwise Kikuyus would have voted for Moi in 1992 and 97

Governor Joho confronts GSU officers after blocked from attending President Uhuru Kenyatta's event
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
Before I join the bandwagon here, cheering and applauding Joho for "standing up" against nasty Uhuru, just what are Joho's qualifications? What exactly has he done to better the lives of Kenyans, all Kenyans? Who is Joho really, that I should cheer and applaud him?

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
I always hear this line: What has he done just before I hear how some fella is "development conscious"  and the other is not.

So let me take this opportunity to delve deep into this question:
cheering and applauding Joho for "standing up" against nasty Uhuru,: Where is this bandwagon? What is start and ending?

Please Empedocles, provide the parameters and measurements we can apply not just to Joho but other politicians including Uhuru. As it is now I can make any kind of subjective statement that would favor or disfavor my pet politician... and so can you for yours.

I think I can state Joho's qualifications for governor (unless you had something else in mind). He met all the minimum requirements to be nominated for election as governor as set by the IEBC. I can dig them up for you if you do not know what they are.

What has he done to better the lives of Kenyans: He presides over Mombasa county. Again provide the measurements to be used for all counties and governors to get a standardized answer.

"ALL Kenyans" (Empedocles' emphasis): I am not sure why the person or Governor Joho should be expected to better the lives of ALL Kenyans. As Governor he is responsible for Mombasa County as as are 46 other colleagues of his in their counties. As a citizen, he has no such mandate or expectation unless there is some law I am ignorant of that calls on citizens to achieve such a feat. Incidentally what have you Empedocles done to better the lives of Kenyans, all Kenyans?

Who is Joho? He is the governor of Mombasa. You can google and read more about him, can't you?

Who is Joho really, that I should cheer and applaud him?:Are you compelled by some power to cheer or applaud  Joho? I am not aware of any such compulsion.

Though I have to say I often marvel at the propensity of certain people to cheer Uhuru Kenyatta. I have on occasion wondered whether it comes through mother's milk or some kind of oath.

I have also wondered about the ready sycophancy in others. I was recently subjected to stalking and harassment by one such pin head who went after me to protect the "honor" of the wives of Raila and Uhuru Kenyatta.

Do I support Raila odinga? Yes. But my support is not unconditional.

For the record I think Uhuru Kenyatta is nasty. There is no law that grants the president of Kenya the power to order the detention of a person for any length of time. Those who cannot see there is a constitutional violation that is "nasty" are simply not suited to modern democracy.

Before I join the bandwagon here, cheering and applauding Joho for "standing up" against nasty Uhuru, just what are Joho's qualifications? What exactly has he done to better the lives of Kenyans, all Kenyans? Who is Joho really, that I should cheer and applaud him?

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
I always hear this line: What has he done just before I hear how some fella is "development conscious"  and the other is not.

So let me take this opportunity to delve deep into this question:
cheering and applauding Joho for "standing up" against nasty Uhuru,: Where is this bandwagon? What is start and ending?

Please Empedocles, provide the parameters and measurements we can apply not just to Joho but other politicians including Uhuru. As it is now I can make any kind of subjective statement that would favor or disfavor my pet politician... and so can you for yours.

I think I can state Joho's qualifications for governor (unless you had something else in mind). He met all the minimum requirements to be nominated for election as governor as set by the IEBC. I can dig them up for you if you do not know what they are.

What has he done to better the lives of Kenyans: He presides over Mombasa county. Again provide the measurements to be used for all counties and governors to get a standardized answer.

"ALL Kenyans" (Empedocles' emphasis): I am not sure why the person or Governor Joho should be expected to better the lives of ALL Kenyans. As Governor he is responsible for Mombasa County as as are 46 other colleagues of his in their counties. As a citizen, he has no such mandate or expectation unless there is some law I am ignorant of that calls on citizens to achieve such a feat. Incidentally what have you Empedocles done to better the lives of Kenyans, all Kenyans?

Who is Joho? He is the governor of Mombasa. You can google and read more about him, can't you?

Who is Joho really, that I should cheer and applaud him?:Are you compelled by some power to cheer or applaud  Joho? I am not aware of any such compulsion.

Though I have to say I often marvel at the propensity of certain people to cheer Uhuru Kenyatta. I have on occasion wondered whether it comes through mother's milk or some kind of oath.

I have also wondered about the ready sycophancy in others. I was recently subjected to stalking and harassment by one such pin head who went after me to protect the "honor" of the wives of Raila and Uhuru Kenyatta.

Do I support Raila odinga? Yes. But my support is not unconditional.

For the record I think Uhuru Kenyatta is nasty. There is no law that grants the president of Kenya the power to order the detention of a person for any length of time. Those who cannot see there is a constitutional violation that is "nasty" are simply not suited to modern democracy.

Weasel words.

Know what that means?

Joho is a dishonest crook (not that I've ever heard of any honest crooks).

There's really not much to say.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
Why didn't you just do it: That is throw the personal insults instead of pretending to base it on some complex analysis. Any makanga can throw around names. But it takes a good brain to offer criticism based on evidence and factual analysis. Clearly you are more at home being a makanga.

Weasel words.

Know what that means?

There's really not much to say.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »

I have ... in a movie about small-time crooks in Russia.  The main character kept complaining, very bitterly, that the police were busy harassing "honest criminals" when there were so many "real criminals" running around.    The difference was something like this: Suppose an old lady has just cashed her pension cheque for the month.    On the way home, she runs into a criminal.   A "real criminal" would relieve her of all the money, whereas an "honest criminal" would thoughtfully leave her with enough for a bus ride home a a few days  of food.    :D
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Being, a political leader in the developing nations and more so sub saharan Africa is going to be very hard workgiven the prevailing social economic . Emotional meltdowns will be a hallmark of these (uninspirational) leaders as debts pile up, corruption, youth unemployment, industrial actions, opposition noise and little productivity.

For Kenya being a volatile tribal mish mash, these emotional outbursts are very unhealthy. While tribal backyard cheers of strength of state power, those whose leaders are targeted, feel alienated and start formenting violence as an option.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:14:43 PM »

https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/841218813785985024/vid/320x180/_QA4VEbEVMA8PELH.mp4

These guys have overstepped even by Jubilant standards.  In 2017, you expect this behavior in Museveni's Ug.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »

These guys have overstepped even by Jubilant standards.  In 2017, you expect this behavior in Museveni's Ug.
Jubilee has standards, aside from systematic looting? [emoji23]

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »

Jubilee has standards, aside from systematic looting?

What's even more interesting is how the standards have merged.  Back in the day, you could tell the difference between KANU and opposition.  Today, the only difference is one is NOT in power and that is the reason they are not looting.

Granted, the guys in power should still be voted out.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 10:39:19 PM »
What's even more interesting is how the standards have merged.  Back in the day, you could tell the difference between KANU and opposition.  Today, the only difference is one is NOT in power and that is the reason they are not looting.

To be somewhat "fair" to the politicians, it's not as though the citizens are ever up in arms about these things.      Police brutality and varied criminality, huge corruption scandals and other forms of pilfering from the public, outrageous abuses of state power, failure by the state to provide even basic security, .... In a normal place, you'd have the citizens out in huge numbers, all over place, and for serious periods of time.     And Kenya?    Kenya is a place where the police and military pose serious dangers to the welfare and safety of the citizens, the public hospitals are the last place where a person in poor health should go, etc. etc. etc.

The general public view of the GSU, which is "key" here, is a fine exemplar of the public stupor.   This segment of the police force has come to be associated with the worst forms of criminality---murder, rape, torture, theft, etc.---but one will never hear the public, or the Opposition, or the Government clamouring (or even just asking) that it be disbanded (or at least reformed). Instead it is all meekly accepted: anger has been replaced with a supposedly amusing nickname ("Fanya Fujo Uone"), and all seem to believe that "dread" is a perfectly reasonable adjective for a "service unit".    (Google suggests that "dreaded" is the adjective Kenyans used most often for the unit.)

As long as mwananchi  continues to make it clear that he is a sucker for punishment, there is no reason to expect that anyone who is doing so will stop socking it to him.  A bunch of masochists with a few sadists in charge.   That's what Kenya is beginning to look like.   Of course, that's how it's always been.  (The proper way to interpret the "Second Liberation" is that the masochists now have more freedom in the choice of sadists; and, no doubt, that's a "good" thing .... freedom being "good" or something.) 

It is tempting to think that the wananchi desire change but have been badly let down by crappy leaders.   That is only slightly true.     The larger part of the truth is that the average Kenyan hopes that in time, through his "our man", he will get to engage in all the excesses he claims to abhor.  That's what he really wants, not to change the "system".     That this never happens, and is very unlikely to happen, does not bother him in the slightest.   The belief that "our man will deliver us to the other side" is at about the same level as a primitive people's belief in the local deity (that bit of wood or stoned they carved last year or whatever their grandmother told them last week).    The  good politicians know all that, which is why "issues" are never an issue, political parties stand for nothing (and jumping between them is a national sport that people elsewhere would find disturbing), etc.   And there you have it: the "leaders" can lead the people in a new direction, and the people can choose "leaders" who will be leaders; but who really wants change?

With such an "untidy environment", I have my doubts on "the guys in power should still be voted out".   The Opposition has been quite coy on  the matter of what it would actually do---some reasons are given above---and its main pitch is, essentially, "We couldn't possibly do any worse!".    Not very convincing, especially for guys trying to get into power.    Perhaps the positive is that we'll have different people dancing on the lawns of State House?   

Yes, that was a bit long.    On the present cause of unhappiness (for some):   Some of these people---Kalonzo, Raila, Mudavadi, etc.---have actually been at the top of the heap.   What did they do to even try and reform some of the organizations that are now caning them?   (Note the emphasis on the "try".)   Is there anything to suggest that they would act differently if they were on the other side?  Instead of yet another opportunity for helpless wailing, how about an opportunity to raise the need to reform some of these organization, give them more independence and protection from political whims, etc.?   

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 01:16:35 AM »

To be somewhat "fair" to the politicians, it's not as though the citizens are ever up in arms about these things.      Police brutality and varied criminality, huge corruption scandals and other forms of pilfering from the public, outrageous abuses of state power, failure by the state to provide even basic security, .... In a normal place, you'd have the citizens out in huge numbers, all over place, and for serious periods of time.     And Kenya?    Kenya is a place where the police and military pose serious dangers to the welfare and safety of the citizens, the public hospitals are the last place where a person in poor health should go, etc. etc. etc.

The general public view of the GSU, which is "key" here, is a fine exemplar of the public stupor.   This segment of the police force has come to be associated with the worst forms of criminality---murder, rape, torture, theft, etc.---but one will never hear the public, or the Opposition, or the Government clamouring (or even just asking) that it be disbanded (or at least reformed). Instead it is all meekly accepted: anger has been replaced with a supposedly amusing nickname ("Fanya Fujo Uone"), and all seem to believe that "dread" is a perfectly reasonable adjective for a "service unit".    (Google suggests that "dreaded" is the adjective Kenyans used most often for the unit.)

As long as mwananchi  continues to make it clear that he is a sucker for punishment, there is no reason to expect that anyone who is doing so will stop socking it to him.  A bunch of masochists with a few sadists in charge.   That's what Kenya is beginning to look like.   Of course, that's how it's always been.  (The proper way to interpret the "Second Liberation" is that the masochists now have more freedom in the choice of sadists; and, no doubt, that's a "good" thing .... freedom being "good" or something.) 

It is tempting to think that the wananchi desire change but have been badly let down by crappy leaders.   That is only slightly true.     The larger part of the truth is that the average Kenyan hopes that in time, through his "our man", he will get to engage in all the excesses he claims to abhor.  That's what he really wants, not to change the "system".     That this never happens, and is very unlikely to happen, does not bother him in the slightest.   The belief that "our man will deliver us to the other side" is at about the same level as a primitive people's belief in the local deity (that bit of wood or stoned they carved last year or whatever their grandmother told them last week).    The  good politicians know all that, which is why "issues" are never an issue, political parties stand for nothing (and jumping between them is a national sport that people elsewhere would find disturbing), etc.   And there you have it: the "leaders" can lead the people in a new direction, and the people can choose "leaders" who will be leaders; but who really wants change?

With such an "untidy environment", I have my doubts on "the guys in power should still be voted out".   The Opposition has been quite coy on  the matter of what it would actually do---some reasons are given above---and its main pitch is, essentially, "We couldn't possibly do any worse!".    Not very convincing, especially for guys trying to get into power.    Perhaps the positive is that we'll have different people dancing on the lawns of State House?   

Yes, that was a bit long.    On the present cause of unhappiness (for some):   Some of these people---Kalonzo, Raila, Mudavadi, etc.---have actually been at the top of the heap.   What did they do to even try and reform some of the organizations that are now caning them?   (Note the emphasis on the "try".)   Is there anything to suggest that they would act differently if they were on the other side?  Instead of yet another opportunity for helpless wailing, how about an opportunity to raise the need to reform some of these organization, give them more independence and protection from political whims, etc.?   
I somehow got this response mixed with another thread.

I am thinking of voting them out, not as a form of endorsement of the other side.  But rather a message that they do not deserve to go back to their comfort zone.  Just because something has to be done, even if it's replacing them with a twin, they lose, somewhat.  Also someone mentioned about the idea that it ultimately becomes easier to dislodge fresh faces rather than entrenched ones - the current cabal has been running Kenya for 50 years non-stop.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:42 AM »
I am thinking of voting them out, not as a form of endorsement of the other side.  But rather a message that they do not deserve to go back to their comfort zone.  Just because something has to be done, even if it's replacing them with a twin, they lose, somewhat.  Also someone mentioned about the idea that it ultimately becomes easier to dislodge fresh faces rather than entrenched ones - the current cabal has been running Kenya for 50 years non-stop.

Fair enough.   Actually, my response was more of a general commentary on all sorts of things, rather than to your specific statements, which, shall we say, simply put a spark on the gunpowder ... Still, I do, generally, I take a go at your "replacement" point, in two parts:

(a) The would-be replacements aren't trying especially hard to present themselves as worthy replacements, and the "dislodging" actually requires that people believe enough to go to the vote and do their thing.

(b) The people to do the replacement just don't care enough.   And certainly not for just a "fresh face".   

Kenya's current trajectory is like that of Nigeria---and it's (perhaps perversely) fascinating to watch a country going to the dogs when it's supposedly doing well---and it will only get worse, faster, if we really get into the oil.   All downward.  Until something like 2030.

In 2030: Very little of the Vision will exist or have existed.   Of the bits that exist: the Chinese who have a contract to run the SGR will have gone home and it will be time to start eating it down (like the last one), .... , extrapolate that to all other infrastructure and systems, where we always start with shiny new pieces and then forget about maintenance, management, etc.  ... all focus on the nyama.   

We'll have more of the same, all getting worse and rapidly so, and by 2030, even the thickest manamba will want more than Visions.   Might even be ready for fresh faces.  Might even have fresh faces then!