Author Topic: Intel Self Driving Move  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Intel Self Driving Move
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
DETROIT (AP) -- Computer chip maker Intel paid handsomely for a piece of the next big thing Monday as it offered more than $15 billion for Mobileye, an Israeli company at the forefront of autonomous vehicle technology.

The purchase, scheduled to close by year's end, creates another major player in self-driving technology as traditional automakers and tech companies vie to put the cars into public use. Most companies have predicted autonomous vehicles will be carrying people in the next three-to-five years.

Jerusalem-based Mobileye, which makes software that processes information from cameras and other car sensors to decide where the cars should steer, has products on just about every automaker's autonomous test fleet. The combination with Intel adds hardware, more software expertise and data centers that the companies say will hasten deployment of autonomous technology, including wider use of automatic emergency braking and other technologies that already are on the roads.

http://www.syracuse.com/business-news/index.ssf/2017/03/eye_on_self-driving_cars_intel_buying_mobileye_for_15_billion.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Intel Self Driving Move
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:24:02 PM »
DETROIT (AP) -- Computer chip maker Intel paid handsomely for a piece of the next big thing Monday as it offered more than $15 billion for Mobileye, an Israeli company at the forefront of autonomous vehicle technology.

The purchase, scheduled to close by year's end, creates another major player in self-driving technology as traditional automakers and tech companies vie to put the cars into public use. Most companies have predicted autonomous vehicles will be carrying people in the next three-to-five years.

Jerusalem-based Mobileye, which makes software that processes information from cameras and other car sensors to decide where the cars should steer, has products on just about every automaker's autonomous test fleet. The combination with Intel adds hardware, more software expertise and data centers that the companies say will hasten deployment of autonomous technology, including wider use of automatic emergency braking and other technologies that already are on the roads.

http://www.syracuse.com/business-news/index.ssf/2017/03/eye_on_self-driving_cars_intel_buying_mobileye_for_15_billion.html

Exponential growth.

Neither our gava (nor the opposition dancing troupe) have a single clue on how fast things are going to change in the next 2-3 decades. In all probability, drivers will be history, just like horses were for general transport. Imagine, a baby born today most likely wouldn't be able to get a job as a driver when they turn 18.

Then more and more countries will be banning the internal combustion engine within the next 10-15 years. Where are we going to source our mitumbas from (we spent 50 years refusing to industrialize) and have we even started thinking about the required infrastructure (charging stations, etc.)?

Well, we've got more really important things to do, like dance for food:

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
Hehehe...robots will soon out-dance kamwana and he'll be out of a job.  That's a little more than ant intelligence.

Professional driver's are definitely on the chopping block.  There are cars that already do self-drive, but allow the driver to take over.   Different states/jurisdictions are actually more of a stumbling block than the actual technology. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:23:19 PM »
Hehehe...robots will soon out-dance kamwana and he'll be out of a job.  That's a little more than ant intelligence.

Professional driver's are definitely on the chopping block.  There are cars that already do self-drive, but allow the driver to take over.   Different states/jurisdictions are actually more of a stumbling block than the actual technology. 

Oh, they're coming, just like horseless carriages of yore. I mean, like how the Tesla's can predict accidents is really uncanny:

Then lawyers, judges, accountants, stockbrokers, doctors, plus many more...hopefully our political class very soon.

Interesting times we're living in. :)

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »

Oh, they're coming, just like horseless carriages of yore. I mean, like how the Tesla's can predict accidents is really uncanny:

Then lawyers, judges, accountants, stockbrokers, doctors, plus many more...hopefully our political class very soon.

Interesting times we're living in. :)

That's amazing.  The prediction is not even about the car itself but a third party crash.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »

Yes, the technology seems to be moving way faster than the law.    It's going to be a while before you can are allowed to send out your car, on its own, to pick up your lady-friend or call it to come pick you up from the pub.  First big step will be that the car is permitted to do its thing but only under the supervision of a "adult"   (licensed "manual"  human).   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.