Author Topic: Corruption; Uhuru absolves himself.  (Read 11923 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Corruption; Uhuru absolves himself.
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »
I think he is speaking the truth. He has done what he could within the legal parameters.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/President-Kenyatta-rebukes-agencies-over-anticorruption-fight/1056-3420824-n0srv7/index.html

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
Re: Corruption; Uhuru absolves himself.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 02:30:54 PM »
In  my opinion, he has done enough in the executive branch, but he also needs ti reach out to sleepy parliament to force them to tighten every noose, or even change the make up of every body that is involved. Even asking parliament to create a special statute specifically for high crimes will help. Case in point was police making 3million a month and nobody has investigated them, not even KRA for unpaid taxes. This should be a high crime since it involves law enforcement.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
Corruption in Kenya only prospers because the top govt official is corrupt. This has been the case since Jomo Kenyatta, Arap Moi, Mwai Kibaki and now Uhuru Kenyatta.
All these above have been direct beneficiaries of corruption. When you are president and receive corruption money, do not expect your juniors to act differently. Kenya will only change when the top man in govt is clean. It will take decades.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
Uhuru tasked Esipisu with clearing Waiguru.  He has Eurobond under his belt.  To mention just a few.  Yeah...he has done enough.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »
OMG! Politicians like Ouru are only able to literally get away with murder because of tribalism, ignorance and gullible wanaichi.  Ouru knows exactly how to stop corruption at the highest levels of government because he knows exactly who is corrupt and he is a beneficiary of their corrupt actions so he looks the other way.  He should start by asking his Deputy President where he gets 18 million to give away in a single weekend and where he gets the money to literally throw away every other weekend happens to be in the country.  Corruption at the top levels of government hurts the country the most and is the one that can easily be eliminated because it involves presidents, family, friends and high level appointees.  The people he knows personally are responsible for almost 50% of the total money lost to corruption which should be used for developing the infrastructure of the country. I can understand if he is frustrated about corruption by traffic police, in the medium and low level government offices, county governments and schools.  If he wants to be credible with the issue of corruption he should by dropping the High Priest of Corruption-the Deputy President-as his running mate.

I think he is speaking the truth. He has done what he could within the legal parameters.
http://www.nation.co.ke/news/President-Kenyatta-rebukes-agencies-over-anticorruption-fight/1056-3420824-n0srv7/index.html
"I have done my job and I will not change anything dead or a live" Malonza

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
You forgot the mother of all corruption, SGR.

Uhuru tasked Esipisu with clearing Waiguru.  He has Eurobond under his belt.  To mention just a few.  Yeah...he has done enough.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »
You forgot the mother of all corruption, SGR.

That is there too.  If we list everything, veritas will run out of hard-drive space.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
OMG! Politicians like Ouru are only able to literally get away with murder because of tribalism, ignorance and gullible wanaichi.  Ouru knows exactly how to stop corruption at the highest levels of government because he knows exactly who is corrupt and he is a beneficiary of their corrupt actions so he looks the other way.  He should start by asking his Deputy President where he gets 18 million to give away over a single weekend and where he gets the money to literally throw away every single weekend he is in the country.  Corruption at the top levels of government hurts the country the most and is the one that can easily be eliminated because it involves presidents, family, friends and high level appointees.  The people he knows personally are responsible for almost 50% of the total money lost to corruption which should be used for developing the infrastructure of the country. I can understand if he is frustrated about corruption by traffic police, in the medium and low level government offices, county governments and schools.  If he wants to be credible with the issue of corruption he should start by dropping start by dropping High Priest of Corruption-the Deputy President as his running mate.

As President, kamwana is in a uniquely powerful position.  He can demand virtually any documents from his ministers, starting with Eurobond minister.  He knows who is stealing what....if he thinks he has exhausted all options, he can consider becoming a whistle blower and witness against the thieves he knows very well.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
Since corruption is the # One vice in the country that needs to be slayed, ANY candidate who is running for the office of the president in 2017 and who does not have a clue on how to slay this monster should disqualify himself or herself for running for this office.  Its like a presidential candidate for the US who publicly says that they do not know how to stop ISIS.  Ouru certainly can explain to us why he was not able to stop corruption but he should also offer a solution and not "frustration".  If he cannot solve the problem then he should step aside and let other people who have a plan and a will do it.  I really do not understand why he is running for re-elections if he does not have an idea of what he is going to do differently in his second term to move this country forward. Nothing good is going to happen in this country if corruption is not curbed. Our neighbors are scared of us because of corruption and they do not want to make any serious economic deal with us because of corruption.  Our reputation for corruption and impunity is the reason why we lost the oil pipeline deals with Uganda and Tanzania do not even want to deal with us. We have to slay this monster.

OMG! Politicians like Ouru are only able to literally get away with murder because of tribalism, ignorance and gullible wanaichi.  Ouru knows exactly how to stop corruption at the highest levels of government because he knows exactly who is corrupt and he is a beneficiary of their corrupt actions so he looks the other way.  He should start by asking his Deputy President where he gets 18 million to give away over a single weekend and where he gets the money to literally throw away every single weekend he is in the country.  Corruption at the top levels of government hurts the country the most and is the one that can easily be eliminated because it involves presidents, family, friends and high level appointees.  The people he knows personally are responsible for almost 50% of the total money lost to corruption which should be used for developing the infrastructure of the country. I can understand if he is frustrated about corruption by traffic police, in the medium and low level government offices, county governments and schools.  If he wants to be credible with the issue of corruption he should start by dropping start by dropping High Priest of Corruption-the Deputy President as his running mate.

As President, kamwana is in a uniquely powerful position.  He can demand virtually any documents from his ministers, starting with Eurobond minister.  He knows who is stealing what....if he thinks he has exhausted all options, he can consider becoming a whistler blower and witness against the thieves he knows very well.

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
As President, kamwana is in a uniquely powerful position.  He can demand virtually any documents from his ministers, starting with Eurobond minister.  He knows who is stealing what....if he thinks he has exhausted all options, he can consider becoming a whistle blower and witness against the thieves he knows very well.

Generally I get annoyed when people talk about fighting corruption as if Uhuru has any interest in it
When will people understand the indispensable role corruption plays for the holder of PORK office
e.g right now it looks like Uhuru will win the 2017 election
Now, if several well known "big fish" thieves were arrested and prosecuted and jailed
that would change Uhuru's 2017 chances drastically because the entire .ke ruling elite would
be against him.

Offline Kichwa

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 05:30:52 PM »
Everybody who is honest and serious knows that Ouru cannot fight corruption-his hands are literally and figuratively tied. This is because his presidency and re-election is based on the twin vices of our country- corruption and tribalism. Tribalism and corruption are inseparable because one cannot exist without the other. If he drops any of them then he comes tumbling down politically like a shooting star.  This whole summit on corruption is therefore a political campaign propaganda or immunization in anticipation of the attacks which will definitely come from the opposition.

Generally I get annoyed when people talk about fighting corruption as if Uhuru has any interest in it
When will people understand the indispensable role corruption plays for the holder of PORK office
e.g right now it looks like Uhuru will win the 2017 election
Now, if several well known "big fish" thieves were arrested and prosecuted and jailed
that would change Uhuru's 2017 chances drastically because the entire .ke ruling elite would
be against him.

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »
Kenyans are just being dishonest with themselves. Uhuru is part and parcel of the corruption cartel running Kenya today. He is practically the Don of the Mafia. The talk of fighting corruption is just music for the ears of the masses. Nothing will happen and tomorrow we will forget that this summit ever took place.

Everybody who is honest and serious knows that Ouru cannot fight corruption-his hands are literally and figuratively tied. This is because his presidency and re-election is based on the twin vices of our country- corruption and tribalism. Tribalism and corruption are inseparable because one cannot exist without the other. If he drops any of them then he comes tumbling down politically like a shooting star.  This whole summit on corruption is therefore a political campaign propaganda or immunization in anticipation of the attacks which will definitely come from the opposition.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 06:06:03 PM »
Its PR stuff.

Kenyans are just being dishonest with themselves. Uhuru is part and parcel of the corruption cartel running Kenya today. He is practically the Don of the Mafia. The talk of fighting corruption is just music for the ears of the masses. Nothing will happen and tomorrow we will forget that this summit ever took place.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »

In his rant, Uhuru says this:

We have the Auditor-General who says Eurobond [money] had been stolen.  What do you want me to do?

That is the first time I have heard him comment on the AG's report in that regard.   In his place, I would have been expressing concern all along and demanding details.  And now, instead of letting the AG independently  carry on with his investigations---to determine the truth and report back---Uhuru's plan seems to be to jump into the fray and preempt things by bad-mouthing the AG.

Uhuru goes on and on about how he cannot fire people because of the law.     I cannot imagine any country in which a (non-ceremonial) president (or similar) cannot instigate the firing of a civil servant and within the law.  The new constitution has made it hard to fire certain people---for senior people it involves the National Assembly and tribunals---but it is not impossible, and Uhuru, if he were minded to could easily have the processes instigated.  If nothing happens, he could then say he at least tried and failed.     The Public Service Commission, for example, has the power to fire almost any civil servant for ethical breaches, incompetence, etc.     Has Uhuru, for example,  indicated that there are civil servants he wishes could be gone but cannot act upon, or is he just whining? To just say "" is pretty lame.   

Even simple "messaging" and a little direct action would make a huge difference.   Lew Kwan Yew operated on the basis that those in charge on ministries had to show the highest standards in performance and integrity, they in turn would demand (and were expected) to demand the same of those directly below them, who in turn ... On that basis, in Kenya Waiguru would have been shown the door as soon as the NYS heist became known; instead, Uhuru vigorously defended her until the public clamour became too much for him. 

Early in 2015, we had this:

PRESIDENT Uhuru Kenyatta has acknowledged that mega corruption threatens to paralyse service delivery in his administration.

Consequently, he has ordered all State corporations to furnish his office with dtwo weeks.   
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2015/03/12/uhuru-gives-state-organs-two-week-ultimatum-on-corruption_c1099639#sthash.c0P84d6K.dpuf

And then?   Did he get the plans?   If he did, did he act on them?    After the ultimatum was issued, the whole business was quickly forgotten, but here we have the man whining today.   Start by telling us about the follow-up on the zillionth ultimatum on corruption!

See 6(iii) here: www.embuni.ac.ke/images/Docs/executiveorder.pdf
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:39 PM »
Uhuru fired Waiguru (plus more than 200 gov officials including more than 5 ministers) based on suspicion alone and there is nothing like Eurobond scandal. The balls as I see lies squarely on EACC, DPP and Judiciairy. There is need to show how Uhuru or the executive has impeded their work. All of them are  independent and enjoy the security of tenure.
You cannot fight corruption by vaguely accusing everyone of eurobond or claiming Ruto harambee are from corrupt proceed..you need evidence.

Uhuru & his brother Muhoho have spawn a MNC in Brookside...from little diary in Ruiru to a congolmerate that Danone (French multination) valued I think at 40B. Ruto's AMACO makes money from third party insurance (for matatus and MV) where they've cornered the market. There is as much dirty money as their is clean money. Without evidence you'll end up nowhere....just like SGR and Eurobond "scandal" has gone nowhere...there are no names, no bank accounts, no beneficiary...just the feeling the money was lost in the air.

Bottomline; EACC, Judiciary, DPP, Auditor General and all these agencies tasked have failed. Uhuru has not failed. He has gone extra way to fire EACC by forcing them to resign and their replacement turned out to be corrupt- although he had years of experience working for pwc.

EACC and Judiciary has to do more..I know they've jailed former Eldoert South MP and Nyeri county executive....but clearly we should all those responsible for fighting corruption accountable..not accuse everyone of corruption.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »
The balls as I see lies squarely on EACC, DPP and Judiciairy. There is need to show how Uhuru or the executive has impeded their work.

Let me explain something very basic to you: The president is the head of the government.   As such, his role is to ensure that all parts of the government, regardless of their nominal independence, run efficiently and properly; and to facilitate that, the constitution gives, gives him a role in, for example, firing and replacing those who head the parts you have mentioned.    In general, if his job was simply to stay out of the way or independent parts of the government, then there would be little need for his position.    So, it is not sufficient to say that he has not impeded anybody, therefore he has done his job.   

All of them are  independent and enjoy the security of tenure.

As I have already pointed out, this does not mean that people cannot be fired.   What it means is that the process is difficult---"just cause" required etc---and in certain cases it would involve the National Assembly and tribunals.   

Perhaps your own statement can help you understand that.    Here is what you wrote: 

Uhuru has not failed. He has gone extra way to fire EACC by forcing them to resign and their replacement turned out to be corrupt- although he had years of experience working for pwc.

Carefully review your own red statement and reflect on what it means.   

The other thing to keep in mind is that all of the relevant appoints go to the president's office and require his approval.   While Uhuru's fondness for certain barley extracts etc. limit his functional abilities, the general constitutional idea is not that he will just be a rubber stamp; in fact, he is the ultimate appointing authority.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 07:21:24 PM »
Let stick to specifics. Uhuru of course can apply pressure and kick those guys out. Of course we also don't want to end up with dictator..there is a reason why these guys are independent and enjoy security of tenure..so they can investigate everyone and anyone. So that dicey thing. As far as I see Uhuru has done all your Lee guy ever did and I can understand his frustration. He has fired 200 top gov official who were mentioned including Waiguru and Ngilu. He has gone ahead to apply pressure on EACC commisioner to resign. He is clearly handicapped when it comes to Judiciary and we had the "reformist" Mutunga - and now we got Maranga - whom everyone seem happy with. Maybe he need to fire Tobiko?

I just don't see what he has not done! What is missing is evidence based process where all these many agencies work hard to bring real evidence that can help us. Be they parliament, judiciary,DPP, Police, Auditor General and everyone agency involving in fighting graft.

Uhuru has thrown the gauntlet - they need to respond with why they aren't doing their work - if they want more money, let us know, if they want more legal powers, let us know, if they want fancier offices, let us know.

Otherwise claiming everyone is corrupt, everything is a scandal and such shenangians are not helpful to anybody.

Our press can also help investigate graft , same with parliament, and same with Obama (US).

How do you fight corruption in a democracy. We don't want to hear about dictarorship regimes. Maybe we can try Magufuli shenangian in TZ?

The balls as I see lies squarely on EACC, DPP and Judiciairy. There is need to show how Uhuru or the executive has impeded their work.

Let me explain something very basic to you: The president is the head of the government.   As such, his role is to ensure that all parts of the government, regardless of their nominal independence, run efficiently and properly; and to facilitate that, the constitution gives, gives him a role in, for example, firing and replacing those who head the parts you have mentioned.    In general, if his job was simply to stay out of the way or independent parts of the government, then there would be little need for his position.    So, it is not sufficient to say that he has not impeded anybody, therefore he has done his job.   

All of them are  independent and enjoy the security of tenure.

As I have already pointed out, this does not mean that people cannot be fired.   What it means is that the process is difficult---"just" cause required---and in certain cases it would involve the National Assembly and tribunals.   

Perhaps your own statement can help you understand that.    Here is what you wrote: 

Uhuru has not failed. He has gone extra way to fire EACC by forcing them to resign and their replacement turned out to be corrupt- although he had years of experience working for pwc.

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:41 PM »

In his rant, Uhuru says this:

We have the Auditor-General who says Eurobond [money] had been stolen.  What do you want me to do?

That is the first time I have heard him comment on the AG's report in that regard.   In his place, I would have been expressing concern all along and demanding details.  And now, instead of letting the AG independently  carry on with his investigations---to determine the truth and report back---Uhuru's plan seems to be to jump into the fray and preempt things by bad-mouthing the AG.

Uhuru goes on and on about how he cannot fire people because of the law.     I cannot imagine any country in which a (non-ceremonial) president (or similar) cannot instigate the firing of a civil servant and within the law.  The new constitution has made it hard to fire certain people---for senior people it involves the National Assembly and tribunals---but it is not impossible, and Uhuru, if he were minded to could easily have the processes instigated.  If nothing happens, he could then say he at least tried and failed.     The Public Service Commission, for example, has the power to fire almost any civil servant for ethical breaches, incompetence, etc.     Has Uhuru, for example,  indicated that there are civil servants he wishes could be gone but cannot act upon, or is he just whining? To just say "" is pretty lame.   

Even simple "messaging" and a little direct action would make a huge difference.   Lew Kwan Yew operated on the basis that those in charge on ministries had to show the highest standards in performance and integrity, they in turn would demand (and were expected) to demand the same of those directly below them, who in turn ... On that basis, in Kenya Waiguru would have been shown the door as soon as the NYS heist became known; instead, Uhuru vigorously defended her until the public clamour became too much for him. 

Early in 2015, we had this:

PRESIDENT Uhuru Kenyatta has acknowledged that mega corruption threatens to paralyse service delivery in his administration.

Consequently, he has ordered all State corporations to furnish his office with dtwo weeks.   
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2015/03/12/uhuru-gives-state-organs-two-week-ultimatum-on-corruption_c1099639#sthash.c0P84d6K.dpuf

And then?   Did he get the plans?   If he did, did he act on them?    After the ultimatum was issued, the whole business was quickly forgotten, but here we have the man whining today.   Start by telling us about the follow-up on the zillionth ultimatum on corruption!

See 6(iii) here: www.embuni.ac.ke/images/Docs/executiveorder.pdf

The problem I see, in Kenya, and even on this thread is the super low bar that these guys in Kenya enjoy.  Money disappeared.  Nobody was caught with it.  What am I supposed to do?  And it actually works.  The benefit of the doubt - no matter how unreasonable - is tilted heavily in favor of the suspects.  For the average Kenyan, let alone a jubilant adherent, that is enough.

I also thought the reference to Eurobond and bad-mouthing the AG was the highlight that punctuated the whole rant.  He actually laughed that the AG was trying to get information from the Federal Reserve Bank.  Instead of being concerned that he was having trouble doing so perhaps and offering his government's backing in the name of transparency.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:13 PM »
Let stick to specifics. Uhuru of course can apply pressure and kick those guys out. Of course we also don't want to end up with dictator..there is a reason why these guys are independent and enjoy security of tenure..so they can investigate everyone and anyone.

You also wrote that

Uhuru has not failed. He has gone extra way to fire EACC.

and

He has gone ahead to apply pressure on EACC commisioner to resign.

Without getting into whether all that is actually true, I would encourage you to reflect on the "internal consistency" of your own arguments, to the effect that "Uhuru is really battling corruption, and here's some evidence".   Independently of that, you might also want to reflect on the significance of blue.   I'm sure all other Nipateans can see the points I'm getting at.   

I don't have the time today to bang my head on the wall of Pundit Logic; so this will be my last on this exchange.   

Offline RVtitem

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:31 PM »
uhuru should have resigned. He proved to all that job is beyond him.