Author Topic: Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet
« on: August 26, 2016, 03:26:14 PM »
The nearest star to the sun has a rocky planet.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19106.html
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Proxima Centauri Has a Terrestrial Planet
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:49:18 PM »
What I find extremely freaky is Kepler has only searched a really tinny tiny part of our galaxy and has found so many exo-planets so far.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
Yep.  To top it up...Kepler's method is biased towards a subset of stars whose orientation towards the sun permits their planets to be detected by the transit method.  Put another way, there is a whole lot of other stars, within Kepler's field of view that will not be included even though they too may have their own planets.

It's safe to say the galaxy is teaming with planets.  Possibly running in the trillions.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:39 PM »
Fascinating stuff.  8)

You know I reckon there's a code in the universe that has catalogued or patterned every planet in the way of like some statistical bell curve. Like sand we could approximate how many planets based on density, size etc. or maybe this is what they've already done and now just searching for evidence to validate these theories.

History has shown every undiscovered continent had native populaces. I wonder if this to be the case with planets. Native populaces not necessarily in human form but just underdeveloped.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
Fascinating stuff.  8)

You know I reckon there's a code in the universe that has catalogued or patterned every planet in the way of like some statistical bell curve. Like sand we could approximate how many planets based on density, size etc. or maybe this is what they've already done and now just searching for evidence to validate these theories.

History has shown every undiscovered continent had native populaces. I wonder if this to be the case with planets. Native populaces not necessarily in human form but just underdeveloped.

Maybe we have found the LGM (little Green Men) or probably a xenomorph in our cosmic neighborhood:

An Interesting SETI Candidate in Hercules
by PAUL GILSTER on AUGUST 27, 2016More....

Offline veritas

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »
A reoccurring lucid dream I have is travelling extremely fast through space, to what feels like several galaxies, past spiritual entities wondering around the cosmos. Some faster than others, some not making past certain stratospheres, some not supposed to be there like me. In some sense it felt like a parallel dimension but just so huge, I don't think there's a word yet to describe that huge vastness. Death could just be some transition into another form that can travel faster through time that isn't like "time" as we understand time, and without space. Maybe in that next form we have the perceptions to see other worldly entities and travel far into the cosmos. The question is there's got to be some portal somewhere, somehow leaking if you may or else we would not be left with clues like arriving at moments of discovery, science, that civilization evolved from star stuff.