Author Topic: Such Poverty in Ruto's Backyard  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Simanova

• VIP
  • Enigma
Such Poverty in Ruto's Backyard
« on: July 19, 2016, 04:04:39 PM »
I could hardly believe this. There are such houses in Western but for cultural reasons only:

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
Re: Such Poverty in Ruto's Backyard
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »
I am glad to see  such poor people now have access to electricity so their kids can study at night and hopefully escape such poverty. The Last mile project ought to be rolled out countrywide. Jubilee's target of 75% by 2017 is a little ambitious but certainly 2020 universal coverage seem achievable now.

Kenya has in the last 10yrs moved from 12% electricity connection to households to nearly 60% now and might manage to get everyone (universal coverage) connected in a single generation.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:15 PM »
Simanova
As long as kids go to school, I dont care about thatched houses. Secondary school educatuon should be MANDATORY.
Build great shcools around every neighborhood and povery will disappear.
Pundit.
Electricity will never take away poverty. Will marginally improve lives

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:17:22 PM »
Access to electricity is part of the poverty fight. I don't know what poverty is to you but lack of electricity is definitely part of being poor. We have to keep ticking those boxes. Have affordable phone, electricity, roads, food, shelter and etc are ways of dealing with poverty.
Simanova
As long as kids go to school, I dont care about thatched houses. Secondary school educatuon should be MANDATORY.
Build great shcools around every neighborhood and povery will disappear.
Pundit.
Electricity will never take away poverty. Will marginally improve lives

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 12:46:32 AM »
Check UN SDG's checklist: universal affordable power is one of top items besides basic (form 4) education. I would suggest to aim at tertiary -- basic education is just literacy. Folks with a trade can really transform society and is much harder to achieve. Jubilee is doing very well here.

Simanova's point is a vindication for Jubilee poverty fight.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:48 AM »
I think education wise we are doing well - investing a huge part of our GDP in that sector a lone -- primary enrollment is nearly 90 plus % - secondary transition has moved to 80% (which is really great) - and we are hoping to make secondary education free by 2020--- and university education has basically exploded. What is missing is the polytenic/technical colleges - I don't see lots of activity there - it either you make to the university or stay at home. That has to change. I go to the villages - and see all these D - C young men wasting around waiting to join police or army - but not thinking about joining a college for some training.

Electricity - we are doing pretty amazing stuff  - and are thinking of universal coverage in 2020!

Water and sewage - there is where we lost the plot long time ago - and Karua's water reforms - end up producing all these many water boards - but not extra water pipeline or dam.

Check UN SDG's checklist: universal affordable power is one of top items besides basic (form 4) education. I would suggest to aim at tertiary -- basic education is just literacy. Folks with a trade can really transform society and is much harder to achieve. Jubilee is doing very well here.

Simanova's point is a vindication for Jubilee poverty fight.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:37:23 PM »
I am glad to see  such poor people now have access to electricity so their kids can study at night and hopefully escape such poverty. The Last mile project ought to be rolled out countrywide. Jubilee's target of 75% by 2017 is a little ambitious but certainly 2020 universal coverage seem achievable now.

Kenya has in the last 10yrs moved from 12% electricity connection to households to nearly 60% now and might manage to get everyone (universal coverage) connected in a single generation.

Pretty amazing stuff.

12% might be closer to 20 years ago.  60% seems low.  Where can I get the 2015 numbers?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 06:20:19 PM »
The numbers to be honest are a little off. 12% was in 2006. Now they are claiming 50-60%. I can find you link. But generally it should be easy. Get all KPLC customers and get number of household we have in kenya. Electricity supply is measure per household. Assuming 4-5 people per household and projected pop of 45m - we are talking 9-11M HH - so if KPLC have 4.5-6M customers in KPLC - then that is about half. Last I saw was 3m customers --- but alot they say has changed - I think they've added 1M customers since Jubilee came on.

The big jump (100,000 per annum first) was achieved by Manitoba/Canadian guys who ran KPLC for 1-2 yrs and Nyachae reforms (allowing private contractors to connect people) way back in 2006- then numbers accelerated to 200 - then 350--then plataue - and this last Mile has injected some momentum - with aim of connecting extra 350K in phase 1 and about the same in phase 2.

The big problem of course is that power consumption growth is very minimal - lighting houses doesn't use lots of power - it industries that consume power  - one cement factory can consume 100mw - while 1M people will struggle with that.

12% might be closer to 20 years ago.  60% seems low.  Where can I get the 2015 numbers?