Author Topic: David Maraga is the new CJ.  (Read 2851 times)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
David Maraga is the new CJ.
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »
I am disappointment but let see if the guy has to what it takes.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: David Maraga is the new CJ.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
A devout SDA.  Disaster.

I looked at his interview.  He seems pretty shallow compared to the other guys.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »
A devout SDA.  Disaster.

I looked at his interview.  He seems pretty shallow compared to the other guys.

Maybe that's why he was chosen.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »
Technology is what will save judiciary. Maraga has to focus on the little man. Make sure justice is dispense fairly and quickly for the guy imprisoned in the villages or  help in resolving land disputes. And leave the Nairobi political drama cases. He need to move the base. Not the top. And we may be somewhere to having a modern and working judiciary for everyone.

Unfortunately all he talks about is  replacing the suggestion box with an email.

He need to go the whole shebang...use tech...mobile phones...to ensure we have a judiciary that truly work.

This is an opportunity we have in this knowledge era.

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »
I agree with your analysis. The little man has never gotten any justice since independence.

Technology is what will save judiciary. Maraga has to focus on the little man. Make sure justice is dispense fairly and quickly for the guy imprisoned in the villages or  help in resolving land disputes. And leave the Nairobi political drama cases. He need to move the base. Not the top. And we may be somewhere to having a modern and working judiciary for everyone.

Unfortunately all he talks about is  replacing the suggestion box with an email.

He need to go the whole shebang...use tech...mobile phones...to ensure we have a judiciary that truly work.

This is an opportunity we have in this knowledge era.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 07:55:15 PM »
Yes, an email address seems somewhat modest for a technological revolution, given what can be done today.   Even with that, he doesn't seem to appreciate  that the problem is getting action on suggestions and complaints, not handing them in.     At the very least he could have outlined how the contents of his proposed inbox would be handled.

Looks like a harmless plodder.   Doesn't inspire much hope for change in anything, which could be what made him the "best" candidate.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
The JSC went for order in the courts given the chaos left by Mutunga, Rawal and Tonui.

He is the guy to bring better relationship with parliament and executive.

Apart from the low hanging fruit of technology, we need a CJ who will help proper reforming the police and prison system which are key in functional justice system - the brutality, the conditions. If consultations with executive and parliament don't yield  results, judiciary can play hard ball - say no hearing of cases from Police Station X in case of clearly spelt out violations say public outcry over harassment, extra judicial killings, involvement in criminal activities.

I had thought the lawyers would come up with a concrete road map after Willie Kimani murders but seems everybody has no hope of reforming the force even the Kurias experience at Pangani.

With what is going on in US where cops got cameras recording everything, seems police work is becoming quite stressing and some shifts are required.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:24:30 AM »
He seem to be enjoying bi-partisan support, seem to be honest judge and hopefully will steer judiciary forward in the next 4yrs.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
The JSC went for order in the courts given the chaos left by Mutunga, Rawal and Tonui.

He is the guy to bring better relationship with parliament and executive.

Apart from the low hanging fruit of technology, we need a CJ who will help proper reforming the police and prison system which are key in functional justice system - the brutality, the conditions. If consultations with executive and parliament don't yield  results, judiciary can play hard ball - say no hearing of cases from Police Station X in case of clearly spelt out violations say public outcry over harassment, extra judicial killings, involvement in criminal activities.

I had thought the lawyers would come up with a concrete road map after Willie Kimani murders but seems everybody has no hope of reforming the force even the Kurias experience at Pangani.

With what is going on in US where cops got cameras recording everything, seems police work is becoming quite stressing and some shifts are required.

If the job is to NOT rock the boat, he is the right man.  Email is just the icing.  What more can one ask for?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »
JSC has done progressive Kenya a major disservice. Expect a dither in reforms. With all the leeway they have, they even got high court protection against executive interference so they only have to submit a single name for approval. A big disappointment.

As expected the conservative branch is in unanimous agreement on his suitability.
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 06:55:35 AM »
What major case or rulings has this guy ever made. Sound like a pro status quo guy to me. One step forward 2 steps back.

Offline patel

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:02:33 AM »

Offline Kadudu

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
He is status quo. Do not expect much reforms from this guy, but am sure the Judiciary and the ruling elite are very comfortable with status quo.

What major case or rulings has this guy ever made. Sound like a pro status quo guy to me. One step forward 2 steps back.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 10:21:29 AM »
I don't see much reform but he seem a steadier hand than Mutunga who left Supreme court in shambles. Seem Maraga get together the Court of Appeal as it's president earned him points from JSC. And he has bi-partisan support...so that will help with 2017 Presidential Petition.