Author Topic: Nightclub Shooting Orlando  (Read 3861 times)

Offline veritas

• Enigma
Re: Nightclub Shooting Orlando
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2016, 02:07:42 AM »

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 07:19:52 PM »
Motives aside, America needs to do something about its sick relationship with guns in general.  Omar would have had a more difficult time getting his hands on an assault rifle in Germany, UK etc.

I am often amazed at how easily Americans can play around with guns and bullets.   Many years ago, I visited a friend in the Mid-West who proudly showed me one heck of a private armory.   (When I asked, he couldn't quite say what it was for. It seems that one can buy even assault rifles for "target practice"; but if that is the practice, what is the real target?) And in just the last month a couple of friends have posted "interesting" photos/videos on Facebook: In one, my friend was proudly showing his Glocks while at a coffee place ... "cowboy/western" style on his hips, as is permitted by the "open-carry laws" of  his state (Arizona).     In another, a friend in Texas showed his 9-year-old in early-morning target-practice. 

At the other extreme is Japan, where even hardened criminals (Yakuza level) consider that having a gun is not worth the bother.   Knife into the guts,  brick to the head ..... are "OK"; but guns get the coppers really worked up, and that's not good for business.   Legally getting a gun there requires all sorts of checks, including an examination by a shrink, and these have to be repeated at regular intervals.     Once one has a gun and some ammo, they are subject to random police checks, and these checks include a requirement that one account for all ammo.   And "misuse" is not taken lightly, which sometimes leads to bizarre cases: I recall one case in which a police officer committed suicide using his official gun.    In other places, with such a tragedy, that would have been the end of it.     In Japan, he was prosecuted posthumously for "improper and illegal use of a firearm".     Supposedly to send a message to the public ...
You'll find all manner bizarre of reasons. 

For self defense from criminals for someone living an area where the last burglary was reported over 20 years ago; police's main work is to retrieve cats stuck in trees etc.  So he buys a $10,000 machine gun.

Others will say for guerrilla warfare just in case of an invasion of the US(never mind by who the hell).  He has a glock.

To defend themselves against the government with the strongest military the world has ever known.  So he buys a hunting rifle.

And yes, there are also normal people; in my area most people just don't keep guns and wouldn't know what to do with one.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Real P

• Mega superstar
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 03:33:01 AM »
Motives aside, America needs to do something about its sick relationship with guns in general.  Omar would have had a more difficult time getting his hands on an assault rifle in Germany, UK etc.

All the data supports a strong correlation between gun ownership and gun homicides.  The idea of being killed in a public place by some depressed nut with a military grade weapon is no longer academic.

The US government should tax ammo and firearms to the point few can afford them or just do what Northern Marianas Islands did, impose $1,000 tax on every gun purchase.

http://www.guns.com/2016/04/07/lawmakers-approve-1000-tax-on-handguns-in-lieu-of-total-ban/
"Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with Christ".