Author Topic: Businessman Jacob Juma shot dead  (Read 26124 times)

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
Businessman Jacob Juma shot dead
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:38:18 AM »

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/05/06/businessman-jacob-juma-shot-dead_c1345629

This after he had tweeted these tweets on the Eurobond (I'm not suggesting there is a connection...the guy did tweet lot of BS at times):

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: Businessman Jacob Juma shot dead
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
Regardless of what I may think of him, he was fearless to the point of being suicidal.  This is obviously an assassination.

Without any mention of a witness, the cops already know he was driving home from the bar, the killers were on a motorbike and they fled.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline mya88

• Mega superstar
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
He predicted that this would happen to him but he was not willing to compromise. unfortunately, It is the reality we live in, people are willing to kill so easily for anything, life is not really worth much in Kenya......... will take men of this kind of courage for any tangible changes to be seen. RIP JJ. May your legacy be that you stood up for what you believed in, when many would not. You were a man of honor.
"We must be the change we wish to see" - Mahatma Ghandi

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:29 PM »
Don't they have cameras all over?

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 06:23:51 PM »
RIP. Fighting corruption is suicidal. Is one Boniface Mwangi (OccupyPlayground) still around?
I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »
RIP. Fighting corruption is suicidal. Is one Boniface Mwangi (OccupyPlayground) still around?
Just like that the Kenyan has to look over his shoulder before he says something.  You know the police won't save you; they are not on your side.  They will conduct investigations while you rot.

It's times like this that someone might whisper to Kabura about the sense of withdrawing her affidavit and cut her losses. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
  • http://www.omollosview.com
    • Omollosview
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 10:14:52 PM »
When a person from the Opposition side says "My life is in danger" the Kenya Police invariably order him to "write a statement". The said order is worded in a style and manner that is punitive and intended to degrade. Online robots jump at the person as if on cue to pillory, attack and denigrate the individual as no mongrels would. It is usually so coordinated I sometimes wonder!

Rather than seriously looking in to the expressed fear, the police singularly focus of finding fault with the person. The Police Inspector General, Nkaissery - The Sponge - and Duale - The Busy Body - all have one refrain and chorus: The Police are investigating. Few are left with any doubt that it is a cover-up. The so called investigation is usually a preamble for charging the person with "giving false information...".

Juma can be "grateful" that his many alarms have turned out to be true and unlike Midiwo, he won't be appearing in any court to answer charges of providing false information to the Police. For in Kenya, a person claiming to be about to be killed must as a rule die first rather than report something hypothetical.
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
When a person from the Opposition side says "My life is in danger" the Kenya Police invariably order him to "write a statement". The said order is worded in a style and manner that is punitive and intended to degrade. Online robots jump at the person as if on cue to pillory, attack and denigrate the individual as no mongrels would. It is usually so coordinated I sometimes wonder!

Rather than seriously looking in to the expressed fear, the police singularly focus of finding fault with the person. The Police Inspector General, Nkaissery - The Sponge - and Duale - The Busy Body - all have one refrain and chorus: The Police are investigating. Few are left with any doubt that it is a cover-up. The so called investigation is usually a preamble for charging the person with "giving false information...".

Juma can be "grateful" that his many alarms have turned out to be true and unlike Midiwo, he won't be appearing in any court to answer charges of providing false information to the Police. For in Kenya, a person claiming to be about to be killed must as a rule die first rather than report something hypothetical.

I can get information on how Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Venus Williams, and others made their money.

All I know about Juma is that he was a billionaire businessman with "connections".

Careful: I'm not supporting his killing or any killing whatsoever.

Juma was not

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 11:04:29 PM »
I have reviewed the posts under this and see nowhere anyone has claimed deity status for Jacob Juma.

I think you are being rather disingenuous with your apparent neutrality on the subject. Let me help you understand where some of us are coming from:

• Whether demi-god or human Juma had certain constitutional rights which have been grossly violated
  • I have no idea how anybody made "his/her billions" in Kenya. Do you? If so help me know where Uhuru Kenyatta got the billions he used to rig elections in his favor; Educate me on how Ruto, Muthaura, General Ali etc made theirs. It could help if you attached some document, say a summary of their tax returns over the period of money making. I could personally just accept a simple Wealth Declaration Form which they all did at some point
  • Juma reached out to the public as he feared for his life. We have a police force in the country and overpaid CIDs. How is it that he still got killed? Who gets body guards from the Police? Is it based on actual security risks or is it for prestige which is punitively withdrawn from those who annoy Uhuru Kenyatta?
  • Juma is not the first person to die in a hail of bullets in Kenya or Nairobi for that matter. If the government of Uhuru Kenyatta is not behind these killings why is there no serious attempt to find out who is behind these apparently well trained killers who can spray bullets to  a small area no bigger than the screen of your computer despite the vehicle moving at a very fast speed? Doesn't Uhuru worry that the same squad could hit him? Why the silence?

I can get information on how Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Venus Williams, and others made their money.

All I know about Juma is that he was a billionaire businessman with "connections".

Careful: I'm not supporting his killing or any killing whatsoever.

Juma was not
... [the ICC case] will be tried in Europe, where due procedure and expertise prevail.; ... Second-guessing Ocampo and fantasizing ..has obviously become a national pastime.- NattyDread

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »

It would appear JJ did not have too much blood.  I have seen a bloodier mess left behind by a nose bleed. 

Juma was shot seven times in the head and three times in the chest as he joined the Southern by-pass.

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/05/07/jacob-jumas-head-had-seven-bullet-wounds_c1346050

Harriet Tubman

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
I have reviewed the posts under this and see nowhere anyone has claimed deity status for Jacob Juma.

I think you are being rather disingenuous with your apparent neutrality on the subject. Let me help you understand where some of us are coming from:

• Whether demi-god or human Juma had certain constitutional rights which have been grossly violated
  • I have no idea how anybody made "his/her billions" in Kenya. Do you? If so help me know where Uhuru Kenyatta got the billions he used to rig elections in his favor; Educate me on how Ruto, Muthaura, General Ali etc made theirs. It could help if you attached some document, say a summary of their tax returns over the period of money making. I could personally just accept a simple Wealth Declaration Form which they all did at some point
  • Juma reached out to the public as he feared for his life. We have a police force in the country and overpaid CIDs. How is it that he still got killed? Who gets body guards from the Police? Is it based on actual security risks or is it for prestige which is punitively withdrawn from those who annoy Uhuru Kenyatta?
  • Juma is not the first person to die in a hail of bullets in Kenya or Nairobi for that matter. If the government of Uhuru Kenyatta is not behind these killings why is there no serious attempt to find out who is behind these apparently well trained killers who can spray bullets to  a small area no bigger than the screen of your computer despite the vehicle moving at a very fast speed? Doesn't Uhuru worry that the same squad could hit him? Why the silence?

• Agreed.
  • Like Juma, Uhuru, Raila, Kalonzo, Ruto, etc all made their money in dubious ways. None of them has any traceable documents to support their wealth, as you rightly noted. In my personal opinion based on basic common sense, they are all thieves involved in grand corruption.
  • I doubt we'll ever know the full story. Professional killings in Kenya tend to be quickly forgotten.
  • Remember, correlation does not imply causation. Just because Uhuruto doesn't seem to give a sh*t about Juma's killing doesn't mean they did it. Probably could also mean they simply don't care.
    Or maybe even CORD did it. They seem to have taken his untimely demise rather quietly.
    Speculation is rife that Juma was killed due to one of his deals gone sour. Speculation which I tend to believe.

I'd met Juma a couple of times through an acquaintance. Arrogant SOB whom I disliked but in my opinion being a SOB doesn't necessitate killing him. Others definitely had a different opinion. Juma had antagonized too many people in a bandit country (for example he conned someone in a "deal" involving 5 acres hived from 27 acres of NHIF land at Karen Plains currently valued at about $3m). Pinpointing exactly why he was killed and by who is gonna be impossible.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:29:22 PM »

• Agreed.
  • Like Juma, Uhuru, Raila, Kalonzo, Ruto, etc all made their money in dubious ways. None of them has any traceable documents to support their wealth, as you rightly noted. In my personal opinion based on basic common sense, they are all thieves involved in grand corruption.
  • I doubt we'll ever know the full story. Professional killings in Kenya tend to be quickly forgotten.
  • Remember, correlation does not imply causation. Just because Uhuruto doesn't seem to give a sh*t about Juma's killing doesn't mean they did it. Probably could also mean they simply don't care.
    Or maybe even CORD did it. They seem to have taken his untimely demise rather quietly.
    Speculation is rife that Juma was killed due to one of his deals gone sour. Speculation which I tend to believe.

I'd met Juma a couple of times through an acquaintance. Arrogant SOB whom I disliked but in my opinion being a SOB doesn't necessitate killing him. Others definitely had a different opinion. Juma had antagonized too many people in a bandit country (for example he conned someone in a "deal" involving 5 acres hived from 27 acres of NHIF land at Karen Plains currently valued at about $3m). Pinpointing exactly why he was killed and by who is gonna be impossible.
I am glad that we agree on some of the points.

However you still make some claims that I find little or no cover for:

• CORD is not obligated to react with a specific amount of din or cacophony. You are falling in to the famous Kendi trap (of the Vehemence Barometer fame) of trying to measure what cannot be calibrated. If you come up with a standardized measure of the levels and degrees of grief, specifying which is optimum for a Slain Billionaire, I will lead the campaign to name it after you :D
  • That said, I believe you have not been reading the news. CORD has been on this from the first hour. Raila, Wetangula, Kalonzo, Khalwale etc have made enough noise to burst any Empedocles Grief Barometer
  • While I concur the methods employed by Juma, Uhuru to enrich themselves cannot stand koroboi light, leave alone ordinary sunlight, I would be happier if you treated all the thieves the same way and with equal contempt
  • I agree that professional hits or unsolved assassinations are piling up. Is this a situation that should continue? Why are you not holding "President" Uhuru Kenyatta to account for this? How come EJK has risen on his watch? Who is next, Raila?
  • I note that you have not withdrawn your earlier statement that "Juma was no saint" - a remark I found heartless, unsympathetic and just callous in the extreme!
  • If we had to repeat versions of the speculation out there, there would be no room here.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
I am glad that we agree on some of the points.

However you still make some claims that I find little or no cover for:

• CORD is not obligated to react with a specific amount of din or cacophony. You are falling in to the famous Kendi trap (of the Vehemence Barometer fame) of trying to measure what cannot be calibrated. If you come up with a standardized measure of the levels and degrees of grief, specifying which is optimum for a Slain Billionaire, I will lead the campaign to name it after you :D
  • That said, I believe you have not been reading the news. CORD has been on this from the first hour. Raila, Wetangula, Kalonzo, Khalwale etc have made enough noise to burst any Empedocles Grief Barometer
  • While I concur the methods employed by Juma, Uhuru to enrich themselves cannot stand koroboi light, leave alone ordinary sunlight, I would be happier if you treated all the thieves the same way and with equal contempt
  • I agree that professional hits or unsolved assassinations are piling up. Is this a situation that should continue? Why are you not holding "President" Uhuru Kenyatta to account for this? How come EJK has risen on his watch? Who is next, Raila?
  • I note that you have not withdrawn your earlier statement that "Juma was no saint" - a remark I found heartless, unsympathetic and just callous in the extreme!
  • If we had to repeat versions of the speculation out there, there would be no room here.

Look, you can live in your fantasy world where all our so-called "leaders" use dubious means to enrich themselves while, glaring, omitting Raila.

I, thank you very much, am pragmatic, not an idealist and do accept the fact that we're living in a criminally run country, where all the elites, in one way or another, are thugs in suit.

CORD's muted response to the killing of Juma, as compared to say when Kajwang was supposedly "wasted", speaks volumes. CORD is, in my opinion, very happily latching onto the killing of Juma for political mileage and to continue attacking Jubilee (just as ODM tried by insinuating that Fidel, a nice guy, was assassinated).

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? Bullsh*t! What if your enemy's enemy is a lowdown thug? Does that make him a knight in shining armor? Even in death? I find both Jubilee and CORD absolutely revolting (throw in Wiper and most of the other alphabet soup parties we have into the mix) but CORD takes the biggest slice of cake in the Juma incident.

Nevertheless, I do respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it at all and respect your right to air it, just as I would expect you to respect mine.

My opinion of Juma still stands; he wasn't a saint, had engaged in many dirty deals and went out of his way to antagonize very many people!

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
Wow.   The fellow apparently had no shortage of wild allegations.  But, this being Kenya, he undoubtedly had an audience for his stuff.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Omollo

• Enigma
    • Omollosview
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Empedocles

While we are speculating (Emphasis borrowed from you) here is my contribution:

1. The Uhuru-Kenyatta-Death-Squads killed Jacob Juma on the instructions of Uhuru Kenyatta;
2. The well established and incontrovertible fact that Paul Kobia publicly confessed to murdering Fidel Odinga indicated that a hidden hand had procured the murder. My suspicions land on Uhuru Kenyatta or the mother

On your post:

Nowhere have I protected or made infallible any individual. I therefore find it surprising that you would accuse me of placing Raila above suspicion. It boils down to what I said in the beginning when I doubted your sincerity.

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »
Empedocles

While we are speculating (Emphasis borrowed from you) here is my contribution:

1. The Uhuru-Kenyatta-Death-Squads killed Jacob Juma on the instructions of Uhuru Kenyatta;
2. The well established and incontrovertible fact that Paul Kobia publicly confessed to murdering Fidel Odinga indicated that a hidden hand had procured the murder. My suspicions land on Uhuru Kenyatta or the mother

On your post:

Nowhere have I protected or made infallible any individual. I therefore find it surprising that you would accuse me of placing Raila above suspicion. It boils down to what I said in the beginning when I doubted your sincerity.

I, on the other hand, have no doubts on the lack your impartiality.

Juma could have been killed by either:

1. Thugs (doubtful, I admit).
2. Fellows which whom he had "business" dealings.
3. Uhuruto.
4. CORD (also doubtful, I admit).
5. Jealous competitors who wanted to take over his businesses.
7. POTUS due to the Eurobond debacle (doubtful, I admit).
6. Etc.

I have no idea who killed him but like you I'm willing to speculate but I'm not 100% sure and I don't even believe the security forces are even interested.

So what makes you 100% sure that Uhuruto had him killed? You have evidence?

• Enigma
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
Empedocles,

There are many possible motives.  The police narrative however seems to narrow them dramatically for me.  They seem to have very specific information when they describe the killing.  But very thin on the source of this information.  I am almost certain it is going to get even more surprising in the coming days.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:24 AM »
COLD CASE.. Just like J.M Kariuki, Mboya, etc..

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
Empedocles,

There are many possible motives.  The police narrative however seems to narrow them dramatically for me.  They seem to have very specific information when they describe the killing.  But very thin on the source of this information.  I am almost certain it is going to get even more surprising in the coming days.

Very very true about many possible motives.

What I have learned is that in Kenya, not every single assination is political, as much as the political leaders try to spin it. For example:

Man in Sh95m land case gunned downThe shooting brings to 20 the number of people killed under mysterious circumstances in Nairobi alone in the recent past.

Source: http://www.nation.co.ke/counties/nairobi/Nairobi-businessman-shot-15-times-gunmen/-/1954174/2643102/-/cty54n/-/index.html

What I'm trying to say is simply not automatically assume that Juma's was a politically motivated assassination. There have been too many assassination in Kenya over mega-million deals gone sour. Very many. A Mbo-I-Kamiti director's life span is measured is weeks, from the day they first assume office.

Mbo-i-Kamiti deaths revisited

Even outside Nairobi, assassinations are the order of the day, when business deals go sour:

Cattle raiding in Kenya is often viewed in the legitimizing context of tradition, climate change and resource conflict, but increasingly it has much more to do with organized crime meeting a rising demand for meat, and political violence resulting from a new devolutionary constitution.

The human cost of raids is immense: hundreds are killed every year and many thousands forcibly displaced.

Two sources within the Anti-Stock Theft Unit, a division of the Kenya police charged with preventing cattle theft, told IRIN that an estimated 580 people were killed between January 2012 and January 2014 as a result of cattle raids.

Source: http://www.irinnews.org/report/99846/cattle-rustling-and-politics-business-kenya

And one more:

Nairobi-based lawyer Geoffrey Oriaro was found dead Wednesday morning in a swimming pool at a Mombasa hotel.

Source: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Geoffrey-Oriaro-dead-pool-Mombasa-hotel/-/1056/2838692/-/c157ycz/-/index.html

I rest my case.

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Empedocles,

Very very true about many possible motives.

What I have learned is that in Kenya, not every single assination is political, as much as the political leaders try to spin it. For example:

Man in Sh95m land case gunned downThe shooting brings to 20 the number of people killed under mysterious circumstances in Nairobi alone in the recent past.

Source: http://www.nation.co.ke/counties/nairobi/Nairobi-businessman-shot-15-times-gunmen/-/1954174/2643102/-/cty54n/-/index.html

What I'm trying to say is simply not automatically assume that Juma's was a politically motivated assassination. There have been too many assassination in Kenya over mega-million deals gone sour. Very many. A Mbo-I-Kamiti director's life span is measured is weeks, from the day they first assume office.

Mbo-i-Kamiti deaths revisited

Even outside Nairobi, assassinations are the order of the day, when business deals go sour:

Cattle raiding in Kenya is often viewed in the legitimizing context of tradition, climate change and resource conflict, but increasingly it has much more to do with organized crime meeting a rising demand for meat, and political violence resulting from a new devolutionary constitution.

The human cost of raids is immense: hundreds are killed every year and many thousands forcibly displaced.

Two sources within the Anti-Stock Theft Unit, a division of the Kenya police charged with preventing cattle theft, told IRIN that an estimated 580 people were killed between January 2012 and January 2014 as a result of cattle raids.

Source: http://www.irinnews.org/report/99846/cattle-rustling-and-politics-business-kenya

And one more:

Nairobi-based lawyer Geoffrey Oriaro was found dead Wednesday morning in a swimming pool at a Mombasa hotel.

Source: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Geoffrey-Oriaro-dead-pool-Mombasa-hotel/-/1056/2838692/-/c157ycz/-/index.html

I rest my case.

I would also throw in George Muchai.  Maybe Yebei.  I agree not every assassination is political.  For Jacob Juma the possibilities could range from infidelity to a state House ordered elimination. 

We know in Kenya such murders are never solved.  A hit is a hit.  There is an omerta code about it. 

Following the police investigator's mouth narrative can be intriguing though. 

I am learning now for instance that the latest one now has Juma's car being forced to stop(not slow down) off the road.  Shooters open fire but bullets ricochet off the bullet proof windows.  Shooters hammer the windows in with a hammer and only then finally eliminate him...a little different from the initial narrative.  All naratives without a single mention of an eye witness.

Harriet Tubman