Author Topic: Panama Papers - Kenya Connection  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
Panama Papers - Kenya Connection
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
Been following the issue of the Panama Papers and the first Kenya has been outed.

What are the Panama Papers:

Deputy CJ Rawal among high-profile Kenyans with firms in tax havens

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Rawal-among-high-profile-Kenyans-with-firms-in-tax-havens/-/1056/3144804/-/13ux1ad/-/index.html

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: Panama Papers - Kenya Connection
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:48:13 AM »
Rawal must be the easier to touch; those with gatekeepers in the media houses or those who have threatening ruthless networks wont be getting a mention in local dailies.

Even, globally it is becoming very risky to touch on corruption. There are serious personal, economic, social repercussions -short & long term.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:27 PM »
Of course Kenya is represented.  I saw the map.  Who is representing us?
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »
The new hacker group has promised to keep them coming Wikileaks-style. This is very good news for taxpayers and anti-corruption campaigners. Hopefully besides Rawal some big Kenyan names will be revealed soon. The loot has got to be somewhere, sloppy mistakes happen.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline Empedocles

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
The new hacker group has promised to keep them coming Wikileaks-style. This is very good news for taxpayers and anti-corruption campaigners. Hopefully besides Rawal some big Kenyan names will be revealed soon. The loot has got to be somewhere, sloppy mistakes happen.

The list so far reads like a who's who of the world's elite. The question is who's gonna go after them?

In the US, just how many of the bankers directly responsible for the 2008 crises were held accountable? Zero. They even paid themselves extra bonuses after the government bailed them out with taxpayer money.

Citigroup, one of the biggest recipients of government bailout money, gave employees $5.33 billion in bonuses for 2008, New York's attorney general said Thursday in a report detailing the payouts by nine big banks.

The report from Attorney General Andrew Cuomo's office focused on 2008 bonuses paid to the initial nine banks that received loans under the government's Troubled Asset Relief Program last fall. Cuomo has joined other government officials in criticizing the banks for paying out big bonuses while accepting taxpayer money.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8214818

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:21:58 AM »
Indeed. It going to become very very hard to be corrupt.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »

I'd be surprised to see more than a few names from Kenya and much of Africa.    A Nigerian friend who works in the European banking industry, and gets to see all sorts, once put to me this seemingly credible theory: Most Africans, especially those,  with ill-gotten money (read the "black ones") have a "post-colonial complex" that leads them to think of only Western countries when they think of "sophistication" in finance.     So, unlike their counterparts elsewhere, they will rarely, if ever, involve their money in "south of the border" places, tropical islands, and the like, all of which they simply assume are as backward as their own.   Some even like Switzerland for legitimate money, not because they have anything in particular to gain, but simply because they like the idea of a Swiss bank account.   Also, Western countries generally mean European, because places like Uncle Sam's have no qualms in confiscating anything.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
My fantasy is to see Nyachae, Muthaura, Kulei and such big names which basically expose Kibakis and Mois.

Whistleblowing has real power -- look at Wikileaks and small fish Snowden totally smear NSA and cause policy change almost single-handedly. Cameron is facing political firestorm from these Panama papers with Brexit. Anti-Wall Street Sanders is milking it too.

What will Uhuru say if Muhoho or such name appear on company with billions offshore opened post-Jubilee? Cord and Ndii will have a field day and that will tame corruption big-time.

I desire to go to hell and not to heaven. In the former place I shall enjoy the company of popes, kings, and princes, while in the latter are only beggars, monks, and apostles. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli on his deathbed, June 1527

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 09:15:14 AM »
Yes. This will help in smoking out the more sophisticated corrupt big cats.
My fantasy is to see Nyachae, Muthaura, Kulei and such big names which basically expose Kibakis and Mois.

Whistleblowing has real power -- look at Wikileaks and small fish Snowden totally smear NSA and cause policy change almost single-handedly. Cameron is facing political firestorm from these Panama papers with Brexit. Anti-Wall Street Sanders is milking it too.

What will Uhuru say if Muhoho or such name appear on company with billions offshore opened post-Jubilee? Cord and Ndii will have a field day and that will tame corruption big-time.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 03:24:05 PM »
Kenyatta money is in swisszertland. That where Uhuru used to hide during moi years I think some of the money may be back after narc came to power

Offline Nefertiti

• Enigma
  • Shoo Be Doo Be Doo Oop

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 06:30:24 AM »
In Kenya, the reaction to the claims that the Deputy Chief Justice might have been involved in some mischief has hardly brought up a response, other than "OK.  Noted.  Interesting".
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.