Author Topic: 180 kdf soldiers killed in somali according somali president  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
180 kdf soldiers killed in somali according somali president
« on: February 25, 2016, 10:14:02 PM »
http://www.mwakilishi.com/content/articles/2016/02/25/al-shabaab-killed-over-180-kenyan-troops-in-el-adde-somali-president-says.html

Now we have an official casulty figure. Get kdf back home ASAP

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: 180 kdf soldiers killed in somali according somali president
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 10:29:40 PM »
I think that's exaggerated.  I wouldn't put the figure past 80 more likely 70 something.  My logic being that if they had killed that many, they would have photographed them all.  That said, it would be helpful if KDF just levelled with wanjiku on the number.  They should also withdraw from Somalia.  But if they have to be there, then they better equip those guys up to the standards that their known budget demands.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:10:20 AM »
so where did the bodies of the 76 go? I think they were buried as per Muslim traditions. That is they were buried around that Camp

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:25:23 PM »
so where did the bodies of the 76 go? I think they were buried as per Muslim traditions. That is they were buried around that Camp
I think most were retrieved by KDF units later. 

Last night I saw the video of the attack.  Obviously Al Shabaab invest quite a bit on their propaganda.    High def cameras, zoom, accurate metering the works.  And the obvious editing of what I suspect were ridiculous casualties on their side.  It looks like the KDF guys basically held on until they were completely overwhelmed.  I still can't put the number above 80 dead.

They also show the POWs.  One POW's narration caught my attention.  He was talking about money they are not receiving from the government.  I have mentioned elsewhere that these soldiers are just cannon fodder for some huge beneficiaries in Nairobi.  Kenya is most likely getting huge sums from Uncle Sam, not to mention AMISOM for this mission; my hunch is the eaters are probably eating a good chunk of the money meant for soldiers, both salaries and preparation for deployment to the theater.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:39:35 AM »
How were these soldiers caught off guard? Anyway 80 is still a lot of soldiers. Time to end this occupation is now

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »
Kenya is most likely getting huge sums from Uncle Sam, not to mention AMISOM for this mission; my hunch is the eaters are probably eating a good chunk of the money meant for soldiers, both salaries and preparation for deployment to the theater.

Yes, as far as I can tell, Kenya gets both equipment and money.    And the AMISOM salaries are paid by the EU; for some countries (e.g. Rwanda) sending soldiers all over the place is a non-trivial source of foreign currency:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/-/1056/3053596/-/qk83vtz/-/index.html

The countries that contribute to AMISOM met not long after that announcement, and taking a break from "we are sovereign and independent and don't need neo-colonialists!", strongly objected to that.   The strongest speech insisting on the money was----somewhat surprisingly, given his stance over the last couple of years---given by His Excellency U. Kenyatta, who accused the EU of weakening AMISOM.  The AU then jumped in:

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/AU-appeals-over-AMISOM-aide-cut/-/688334/3107242/-/view/printVersion/-/146xvls/-/index.html

The EU then made a straightforward suggestion: the African countries could make some contribution.   Silence after that.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.