Author Topic: open defecation  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
open defecation
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:30 AM »
I just recalled how while in elementary school in kenya I could not walk a mile without seeing a steaming pile of poop on the roadside. One village was so bad that the path was littered with poop every step had to be made carefully or you end up stepping on shit. In high school I remember we used to use an nearby bush as our natural toilet.
http://www.nairaland.com/2948988/ekiti-leads-open-defecation-nigeria

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
Re: open defecation
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:12 AM »
Sanitation is complex and one of the hardest things to get right.  It's tough.  It requires serious well thought out infrastructure.  Dealing with waste from source to final destination without messing up the environment. 

Providing potable water is the other challenge I see for generations to come.  Kenya has a serious deficit when it comes to fresh water.  The Egyptians appear to have hit on a solution for cheap desalination.
http://www.scidev.net/global/water/news/egyptian-filters-seawater-environment.html.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline yulemsee

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
Sanitation is complex and one of the hardest things to get right.  It's tough.  It requires serious well thought out infrastructure.  Dealing with waste from source to final destination without messing up the environment. 

Providing potable water is the other challenge I see for generations to come.  Kenya has a serious deficit when it comes to fresh water.  The Egyptians appear to have hit on a solution for cheap desalination.
http://www.scidev.net/global/water/news/egyptian-filters-seawater-environment.html.
Why do guys like make simple things hard, sanitation is not hard. It very simple in the rural and low density areas, I mean whats so hard in digging a pit latrine or if you have means constructing a septic tank.  In cities it might be expensive to roll out the infrastructure but having a working sanitation system is very simple, do sewer trunk lines that flow with gravity (the expensive bit)and at the edge of the city have stabilization ponds for treatment. You see with our kind of climate, we can treat sewage anytime of the year using ponds unlike in countries that experience winter.

Ladies and gentlemen, after laying the pipe, thats all you need to build

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
I agree with Mzee. What is needed is to make it illegal to dump waste anywhere. That will force people to build toilets. At the very least. This is public health issue.

• Enigma
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
Pit latrines are easy to make, granted.  The hard part is building and maintaining them to avoid contamination of ground water upstream as well as waste disposal. 

It might be unseemly to have to hop over steaming turds, but these wil processed by elements in days.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
Yeah agreed. I am suprised non of NGO tech companies have come up with solution for this. Some cheap biodegrading solution.
Pit latrines are easy to make, granted.  The hard part is building and maintaining them to avoid contamination of ground water upstream as well as waste disposal. 

It might be unseemly to have to hop over steaming turds, but these wil processed by elements in days.

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »
Yeah agreed. I am suprised non of NGO tech companies have come up with solution for this. Some cheap biodegrading solution.

They should look into it.  Ultimately though, this is something for the county governments.  They should teach and help the people figure out how and where to make them.  The county provides waste disposal services using septic trucks or whatever.  I like devolution because one of these days someone is going to get it right.

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
Every home Must have a sewer system by 2030, how about that?
NEMA do you hear me? You non functional department that is supposed to formulate policy on environmental management!!