Author Topic: Whistleblower Anne Waiguru Partook in the Feast  (Read 13096 times)

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
Re: Whistleblower Anne Waiguru Partook in the Feast
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 01:00:14 AM »
As regard the police office...we have seen some efforts in vetting and wedding out the extremely corrupt ones....we saw police move with speed during Pastor Nganga and I think CID will do their job.

Vetting and weeding out the worst elements does not, of itself,  amount to real reform: If you start with a thoroughly bad lot and remove the worst elements, you still end up with a pretty bad bunch.   What then needs to be done is to work on the remaining lot, and that hasn't happened here.   The Kenyan police force is largely unchanged, as far as corruption goes, and it is business as usual.   And a solitary case like that of the pastor fellow does not indicate any real change.  Does anyone really believe that the Kenyan police have changed?   

(This just in: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Police-boss-annuls-circular-on-transfers/-/1056/3080898/-/jf496v/-/index.html )

There is also a negative aspect of the vetting and weeding-out, or, more precisely, the lack of "follow up": Those sent home had mostly made large sums of money that they couldn't explain----guys swimming in money, properties all over the place, not even touching their police salaries for years .... and claiming that it all came from the chicken-and-vegetable businesses of their wives!    They got sent home, but nobody has thought to look into their corrupt activities and punish them; they are now off enjoying their loot.   What that tells the remaining ones is not that corruption doesn't pay, but that if you are going to indulge, make sure you make enough for when they catch up with you.   

This last aspect is also part of the explanation why corruption, wherever it is, continues in Kenya: at the high, and most damaging,  levels, there is no consequence to indulging in the vice.    Anglo Leasing, Goldenburg, etc.  ... people just walk away with "their" loot while noise continues  all over the place.   
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »
Pundit,
The corner you are talking about must be a very long one. Four years and still turning the corner. Am an optimist but this is not one to be optimistic about. I believe in action rather than the constant warnings that bear no fruit. In my neighborhood, a tree is replaced as soon as it doesn't  bear fruit.

There are some treacherous roads---including major ones---in the Rift Valley.   Be careless negotiating some corner, and you will find yourself down a deep ravine or something like that---in mangled metal.    That's the kind of corner-turning that we have in this case.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2016, 01:19:01 AM »
It's good to have a positive outlook.  But given history recent and ancient, I think it's obvious the joke is on us.  These guys are convinced Kenyans who think things can be done differently are fools and they keep having the last laugh. 

One may argue that they are not "nice" people, but it's hard to fault them on logic or a "business" sense: They keep looting.  If information on a big one slips out, and there's a public hue-and-cry, they produce a smoke-and-mirrors show---people are "quizzed", statements are "recorded", stern warnings are given.    Then things eventually go quiet, and it's back to business as usual ... until the next time.   Why on earth would they want to change?

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2016, 02:34:47 AM »
Central Bank appointment was one of the best. Am sure he has friends. Stop appointing friends of politicians then Chances of corruption is reduced.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
If you think kenya has not move an inch forward in the last few years, then I guess we fundamentally disagree. There is  a lot of empirical evidence to the contrary. Although there have been setback  I feel the country is moving forward every year.

Let not swing from one single issue to the next...to reform a country or the police..will take many years...and I'll continue to celebrate any small gains.

I am celebrating the fact that Waiguru and police mentioned are facing another probe.

We are not going to match developed world standards anytime soon...esp in areas we are really at the bottom of the pile...like police, corruption, etc.

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 02:24:26 PM »
I want to give them the benefit of doubt. Without Kaburu confession, there was nothing criminally linking Waiguru to this until now. Suspicion is NOT enough for EACC and Tobiko. Lots of people were similarly cleared in other investigations. We should not get into this defeatist mentality that nothing can be done by EACC, Tobiko or our courts.

Ngilu,Kamau(CS) are facing criminal charges and so are many others...EACC are now more swift and Tobiko for me has not been appreciated for the work he has been doing.

Let give EACC and Tobiko time to deal with this.

Previously they had nothing. Now they have something. By now EACC should approach Kaburu for some plea bargain....if she is willing to act as a witness for state...in exchange she returns the money and serve small time in prison.

Pundit,

This are very sad statements coming from you,
it almost sounds like one of the Itumbi paid bloggers that ren you and omollo out of nipate,com
EACC is irredeemably compromised and the only thing that can be done is to disband it
Even the law that created EACC is compromised because it was made under the supervision of the
corrupt people it was supposed to apprehend.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
I think Ngilu,Shollei, NYS director, CS Kamau and others who have been ensared by EACC will want to disagree.

Uhuru also finally acted and sent home some 170 folks that EACC had opened files.

All that is progress! We just need to sustain it!

If you're public servant (not a politician elected by kenyans) you should be forced out of office anytime a file is open on you by police or eacc.

Matemu and commissioners also left..those who replaced them have been mute though.

We know have to fire the current secretariat and get a new team.That Harrake guy doesn't inspire confidence at all.

My preference if we are serious is to get some mzungu like Leakey to head EACC and Police force. We've tried wakina big word Lumumba and judge ringera..but mwafrika ni bure sana.

Somebody who is incorruptible. Maybe we can outsource this to some retired police head from commonwealth.

Bottomline..we have go to do with what we have...and for now we are making small progress here and there....but that is still progress.

Waiguru left cabinet and is now sweating. That to me is huge.

This are very sad statements coming from you,
it almost sounds like one of the Itumbi paid bloggers that ren you and omollo out of nipate,com
EACC is irredeemably compromised and the only thing that can be done is to disband it
Even the law that created EACC is compromised because it was made under the supervision of the
corrupt people it was supposed to apprehend.

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
Vetting and weeding out the worst elements does not, of itself,  amount to real reform: If you start with a thoroughly bad lot and remove the worst elements, you still end up with a pretty bad bunch.   What then needs to be done is to work on the remaining lot, and that hasn't happened here.   The Kenyan police force is largely unchanged, as far as corruption goes, and it is business as usual.   And a solitary case like that of the pastor fellow does not indicate any real change.  Does anyone really believe that the Kenyan police have changed?   

(This just in: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Police-boss-annuls-circular-on-transfers/-/1056/3080898/-/jf496v/-/index.html )

There is also a negative aspect of the vetting and weeding-out, or, more precisely, the lack of "follow up": Those sent home had mostly made large sums of money that they couldn't explain----guys swimming in money, properties all over the place, not even touching their police salaries for years .... and claiming that it all came from the chicken-and-vegetable businesses of their wives!    They got sent home, but nobody has thought to look into their corrupt activities and punish them; they are now off enjoying their loot.   What that tells the remaining ones is not that corruption doesn't pay, but that if you are going to indulge, make sure you make enough for when they catch up with you.   

This last aspect is also part of the explanation why corruption, wherever it is, continues in Kenya: at the high, and most damaging,  levels, there is no consequence to indulging in the vice.    Anglo Leasing, Goldenburg, etc.  ... people just walk away with "their" loot while noise continues  all over the place.   

Bribery claims rock police vetting
Fresh bribery claims have hit the National Police Service Commission (NPSC). Some senior officials have been accused of receiving huge bribes to clear corrupt officers during vetting
A confidential letter purportedly authored by disgruntled police officers and addressed to President Uhuru Kenyatta claimed as much as Sh1.5 million was paid to some members of the commission to clear senior officers with questionable integrity. The Standard established that the bribery allegations had split the commission. At the centre of the claims are 12 senior police officers said to have been cleared after paying bribes. It was alleged the cost of clearing corrupt senior officers ranged from Sh300,000 to Sh500,000, although some paid as much as Sh1.5 million.

Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000190994/bribery-claims-rock-police-vetting

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
If we were serious; then president should order investigation into this; assuming there is some prima-facia evidence. But this is very much expected from a country where everyone is corrupt. We have to keep moving forward.
Bribery claims rock police vetting
Fresh bribery claims have hit the National Police Service Commission (NPSC). Some senior officials have been accused of receiving huge bribes to clear corrupt officers during vetting
A confidential letter purportedly authored by disgruntled police officers and addressed to President Uhuru Kenyatta claimed as much as Sh1.5 million was paid to some members of the commission to clear senior officers with questionable integrity. The Standard established that the bribery allegations had split the commission. At the centre of the claims are 12 senior police officers said to have been cleared after paying bribes. It was alleged the cost of clearing corrupt senior officers ranged from Sh300,000 to Sh500,000, although some paid as much as Sh1.5 million.

Read more at: http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000190994/bribery-claims-rock-police-vetting

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:16 PM »
I think Ngilu,Shollei, NYS director, CS Kamau and others who have been ensared by EACC will want to disagree.

Uhuru also finally acted and sent home some 170 folks that EACC had opened files.

All that is progress! We just need to sustain it!

If you're public servant (not a politician elected by kenyans) you should be forced out of office anytime a file is open on you by police or eacc.

Matemu and commissioners also left..those who replaced them have been mute though.

We know have to fire the current secretariat and get a new team.That Harrake guy doesn't inspire confidence at all.

My preference if we are serious is to get some mzungu like Leakey to head EACC and Police force. We've tried wakina big word Lumumba and judge ringera..but mwafrika ni bure sana.

Somebody who is incorruptible. Maybe we can outsource this to some retired police head from commonwealth.

Bottomline..we have go to do with what we have...and for now we are making small progress here and there....but that is still progress.

Waiguru left cabinet and is now sweating. That to me is huge.

Pundit,

Do you honestly think there is anybody in GOK that wants an effective anti-corruption body ?
If the most respected anti-corruption fighter from the most respected commonwealth country
turned up in .ke and offered to work for EACC for  free....he would be rejected and run out of town.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
I think everyone agrees that our corruption levels are just not sustainable.

We want some corruption..little stealing here and there..but not just padding zeros to figures.

Even the thieves knows that with that kind of corruption, them and their stolen money are not save.

Besides it looks good for everyone to be seen to fight corruption...so parliament can buy this idea.

I believe humans are inherently good. It part of our self interest for survival.

Pundit,

Do you honestly think there is anybody in GOK that wants an effective anti-corruption body ?
If the most respected anti-corruption fighter from the most respected commonwealth country
turned up in .ke and offered to work for EACC for  free....he would be rejected and run out of town.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2016, 03:20:22 PM »
If you think kenya has not move an inch forward in the last few years, then I guess we fundamentally disagree. There is  a lot of empirical evidence to the contrary. Although there have been setback  I feel the country is moving forward every year.

Let not swing from one single issue to the next...to reform a country or the police..will take many years...and I'll continue to celebrate any small gains.

I am celebrating the fact that Waiguru and police mentioned are facing another probe.

We are not going to match developed world standards anytime soon...esp in areas we are really at the bottom of the pile...like police, corruption, etc.
We just have to match Kagame's Rwanda. 

Granted there was a time the looter was completely unmolested.  Now they can endure humiliation and grilling.  Even trials.  That is definitely a step forward from the days of total impunity.

That said, EACC is a complete joke.  Josephine's companies were at the heart of this NYS saga and not once was she even contacted.  I don't believe that was accidental or just plain incompetence.

Had she just agreed to go down quietly, the so called fresh look at a Waiguru does not happen.

If the affidavit is true, then Waiguru is not only corrupt, but pretty evil.  Making innocent parties take the fall for a crime they did not even benefit from.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Gumzo

• Superstar
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

Granted there was a time the looter was completely unmolested.  Now they can endure humiliation and grilling.  Even trials.  That is definitely a step forward from the days of total impunity.

That said, EACC is a complete joke.  Josephine's companies were at the heart of this NYS saga and not once was she even contacted.  I don't believe that was accidental or just plain incompetence.

Had she just agreed to go down quietly, the so called fresh look at a Waiguru does not happen.

If the affidavit is true, then Waiguru is not only corrupt, but pretty evil.  Making innocent parties take the fall for a crime they did not even benefit from.

Yes it was not accidental or incompetence, its was outright corruption, EACC actively participating in corrupt deals
EACC does completely opposite of what its mandated to do, its become a clearing house for corruption cases.
e.g When EACC was called in to investigate TASIA housing project corruption, some of the investigators ended
up being allocated houses in the project. Those EACC officials still own the houses and have not been prosecuted.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
Kagame corrupt free Rwanda would be great but we will have to lose our freedoms and cherished democracy. I'd rather we remain with our free for all corruption.

Now that is the progress I'm talking about. We are yet to overturn completely the corruption risk-reward matrix but it definitely getting more risker to steal.

We have to tighten the controls...this kind of theft should have been detected...IFMIS need to be more robust...you cannot just pad zeros!

Another good progress...is that we are now attempting to recover proceeds of illegal proceeds...like in this case the assets and monies have been frozen.

This is now possible because we passed the law that make it possible for gov to seize any proceeds from criminal activity. This is going to make corruption even more futile.

As for Waiguru...let wait and see..the affidavit is pretty strong.

My point is simple...rather than wringing hands in cynicism and self-defeat...we have to keep pushing and suggesting changes that can help us attain developed world standards on matter fighting graft.

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
Maybe we need to pass a law that reward with certain % the whistle blowers and investigators of graft. Otherwise for now....EACC need yet another vetting and shake up.

Yes it was not accidental or incompetence, its was outright corruption, EACC actively participating in corrupt deals
EACC does completely opposite of what its mandated to do, its become a clearing house for corruption cases.
e.g When EACC was called in to investigate TASIA housing project corruption, some of the investigators ended
up being allocated houses in the project. Those EACC officials still own the houses and have not been prosecuted.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 12:56:09 AM »
But wait!   There's More!

What the hairdresser should have done is do what the clever people---step forward, M. Ngunyi---did: Instead of claiming to provide construction services and materials, go for consultancies.   With the former, people expect things they can see with their own eyes, and they will make judgements; with the latter, reports and .ppt slides will do for the "delivery", and who, but the receiver, knows their "worth"?

The new figure is inclusive of the Sh791 million that authorities said was fraudulently paid out by NYS to suppliers and for which a dozen suspects are facing charges in court.

Of the Sh2 billion, more than Sh1.2 billion was paid out in consultancies alone, and a further Sh845 million was paid out for supplies delivered to the key government parastatal.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000192178/revealed-firms-in-nys-sh2-billion-deals

This "our government" is definitely delivering to "our people".   

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 04:19:03 AM »
Pundit
Uhuru is not the only one to blame. The whole system sucks. Mpigs are the worst.
This laws should have been in place 20yrs ago

Maybe we need to pass a law that reward with certain % the whistle blowers and investigators of graft. Otherwise for now....EACC need yet another vetting and shake up.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
Pundit,
Do you agree that ruto is one of the most corrupt deputy president in East Africa? Uhuru should start with his partner and then all the lower ranking cadre state officers will tow the line

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »
How do you suggest he does that. Ruto is a DPORK ELECTED by the people and cannot be fired..unless on grounds well specified by our constitution. He is not Uhuru's appointee.

Legally Ruto, Kidero, Sonko, Uhuru, Raila and the whole bunch can only be kicked out of office by...FINDING THEM GUILTY, Jailing them for more than six months..and giving them time to exhaust all avenues of appeals and reviews.

There are folks who want to deliberately confuse chapter 6. It simply doesn't apply to Mps, PORK, DPORK, Governors.This was long settled by courts...who threw such cases with costs...when some folks running to court claiming ICC indicted folks couldn't not possibly ran.

Anybody else...constitution chapter six should be used...they are not elected and therefore un-protected...and should be kicked out whenever there is any whiff of suspicion.

Ruto and Uhuru were kicked out by chapter six...sometimes in 2010...and therefore this kind of questions are totally incredibly ignorant.

Pundit,
Do you agree that ruto is one of the most corrupt deputy president in East Africa? Uhuru should start with his partner and then all the lower ranking cadre state officers will tow the line

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »
But wait!   There's More!

What the hairdresser should have done is do what the clever people---step forward, M. Ngunyi---did: Instead of claiming to provide construction services and materials, go for consultancies.   With the former, people expect things they can see with their own eyes, and they will make judgements; with the latter, reports and .ppt slides will do for the "delivery", and who, but the receiver, knows their "worth"?

The new figure is inclusive of the Sh791 million that authorities said was fraudulently paid out by NYS to suppliers and for which a dozen suspects are facing charges in court.

Of the Sh2 billion, more than Sh1.2 billion was paid out in consultancies alone, and a further Sh845 million was paid out for supplies delivered to the key government parastatal.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/article/2000192178/revealed-firms-in-nys-sh2-billion-deals

This "our government" is definitely delivering to "our people".   
Even more remarkable I now suspect the hauls were made in cash.  It would be entertaining to see how many trips the hairdresser consultant whoever has not yet squealed had to make to haul the moneys from bank to Waiguru Waiguru's sister the alleged contact point.  It's a full time job, just collecting the cash.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman