Author Topic: it seems like KDF has suffered Causulties in Somali  (Read 6577 times)

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
it seems like KDF has suffered Causulties in Somali
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:54:58 PM »
RiP our brave men and women.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
Re: it seems like KDF has suffered Causulties in Somali
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:22 PM »

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »
Looks like the army forgot that they are fighting and let their guard loose. So sad.

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:17:43 PM »
The Kenyan side does not seem to be very forthcoming with information on what happened.  Al Kebab on the other hand has provided information that can readily be denied or confirmed.  E.g., the claim that they have "confiscated"---yes, that's their word---28 of 31 vehicles they found in the camp, along with all arms and ammunition.   Local residents have also been supplying the international media with all sorts of information.

Meanwhile Uhuru has made the sort of statement that is straight out of a movie (or borrowed without an appreciation of the context).   For example, he has referred to the Al-Shabab types as "cowards" who will be defeated by "our gallant soldiers".    By all accounts, including KDF's, there was nothing cowardly about the attack.    Here is how the BBC puts it:

It says a lot for the insurgents to be daring enough to strike at the heart of an African Union base and engage troops in hours of combat.

According to KDF, there is as yet no concrete information on how many KDF soldiers died and their identities.   But here is Uhuru:

In the present context, that's like a "to whom it may concern" letter that has a small water-mark labelled "presidential tear-drop".  Totally clueless and insulting.   

The latest in the Daily Nation tells us that:

In the counter-offensive, KDF carried out airstrikes at Al-Shabaab camps where the attack was planned, using helicopter gunships and fighter jets.

They supposedly managed to determine where the attacks were planned even as the fighting was still raging.    So, apparently, there are these known camps where such attacks are planned, but nobody bothers about them until the attacks are carried out?

At some point the whole KDF mission in Somalia will have to be reconsidered, and it will have to include some things that manage to keep the "gallant soldiers" busy.  E.g. charcoal and sugar.  In the meantime, in doesn't help that the Kenyan Commander-In-Chief is busy dishing up random/thoughtless lines while the KDF goes into "denial" mode.   

The loss of life is, of course, unfortunate.     But it's an "essence" of armed conflict that involves willing and trained participants.   Widows, children, and other loved ones of felled Al Shabab fighters are also shedding the same sort of tears as are being shed on the Kenyan side.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:40:20 PM »
They were definitely caught napping.  I would not be surprised to find that they were ill-equipped, with poor logistics etc.  Waging war while corrupt is a recipe for disaster.  KDF still fields fifth-hand weapons from towards the end of world war 2.  With a huge budget to boot.

Kenya won't withdraw.  The reasons mostly have to do with money.  Money from side gigs in the lawless country.  Money from "defense partners" which mostly goes unaccounted for; a look at the stomachs of the military bosses who can barely walk might provide some clues. 
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:24:45 AM »
Agreed. Kenya is there for as long as Somalia has no govt. that's gonna be a while

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »
KDF should be manning our borders instead of wasting time & lives in Somali.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »

• Enigma
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
Details are emerging

Kefa K. Abong'o
KDF was attacked from 4:00AM a distress signal was received at 5:00AM following government beurocracy the first jet fighter was released from Nanyuki at 11:00 AM at that time alshabab had left with weapons and food
That is why I am convinced Kenya should abandon all things war related until corruption is under control. 

They allegedly received Ksh 68 billion for modernization from eurobond, if we are to believe that the treasury can know what the money was spent on.  Additionally they have been getting a billion bucks a year for quite some time now.  That's a lot by regional standards.  Yet neighboring countries like Ethiopia and Ug can actually field superior weaponry.

Recalling last year's attack at Garissa University, Kenya does not even have a reliable transport capacity.  They cannot quickly deploy, by plane or parachute, 100 soldiers into a battle zone.  The reinforcements they are sending are by road, in dilapidated trucks and APCs(minus the A), through Al shabaab infested territory.

They get oodles of money every year, but there is nothing to show for it.  There is a lot of I stand with KDF going about.  But there is no better way to stand with them than opening up their expenditures to the public.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 01:53:07 AM »
Do you know that the Kenya Police relies on the public to transport suspects?
Never had any adequate funding since independence. Even a motorbike!
These guys were sent into war empty handed, no support..no nothing!! While MPIGS steal from fake mileage.

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 04:45:49 AM »
Uhuru is busy drinking in mombasa

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:54:18 AM »

Offline Georgesoros

• Enigma
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 07:01:47 AM »
SAD!!!
Really sad!!!

• Enigma
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »
I just saw pictures of the scene released by Al-shabab.  This was slaughter on an epic scale.  Suguta was a cakewalk.  Someone just cut corners, dumped those fresh recruits on the frontline and took his money.  They get money for special training before being deployed; my hunch is this money is now finding better uses.

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 09:05:57 PM »
Mwathethe does not know of any POWs; even if any casual observer can see them in Alshabab's pictures.  But he knows they killed the Alshabab commander of the attack.  I have read elsewhere that he also knows that the bombs used by alshabab were 3 times as powerful as the 1998 embassy bombs in Nairobi.

If they can lie about things that can easily be observed, what else are they lying about?

Harriet Tubman

Offline gout

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
tragic but very few care ...it is accept and move on

I just saw pictures of the scene released by Al-shabab.  This was slaughter on an epic scale.  Suguta was a cakewalk.  Someone just cut corners, dumped those fresh recruits on the frontline and took his money.  They get money for special training before being deployed; my hunch is this money is now finding better uses.
I underestimated the heartbreaks visited by hasla revolution

Offline Globalcitizen12

• VIP
  • Enigma
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
So how many soldiers died and how many are pows? Kdf and uhuru regime needs to answer these questions

• Enigma
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 06:19:04 PM »
So how many soldiers died and how many are pows? Kdf and uhuru regime needs to answer these questions
I think between 60 and 80 dead.  I saw two POWs, one of them badly injured.  Rather than answer the questions, they should withdraw from Somalia. 

The level of integrity required to conduct a "clean" campaign with accountability for kurutus' lives is non-existent in Kenya.  What I suspect is that KDF are now cannon fodder for sale and have been that way since joining AMISOM.

Harriet Tubman

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
I am glad you've come around to appreciate we just can't hack it in Somalia....we are just a militia army for Prof Madobe in Kismayu.
I think between 60 and 80 dead.  I saw two POWs, one of them badly injured.  Rather than answer the questions, they should withdraw from Somalia. 

The level of integrity required to conduct a "clean" campaign with accountability for kurutus' lives is non-existent in Kenya.  What I suspect is that KDF are now cannon fodder for sale and have been that way since joining AMISOM.

• Enigma
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
I am glad you've come around to appreciate we just can't hack it in Somalia....we are just a militia army for Prof Madobe in Kismayu.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place.  The big-wigs in Nairobi are enjoying AMISOM and anti-terror money.  Madobe and Kismayo based Kenyan generals likely get to participate in charcoal deals. 

The kurutus are sitting ducks; they die and there is more on the way; as long as Uncle Sam is paying.  They are fed on patriotism and an AMISOM stipend that is probably partly eaten from above.

None of the KDF frontline warriors are from a wealthy or even well off background, even though such people are in KDF.

Kenya should have distanced itself from the US terror war and made the intervention only about security.  They should be able to talk to Alshabab.

Harriet Tubman