Author Topic: 10 million starve in Ethiopia, but not Eritrea  (Read 9373 times)

Offline patel

• Enigma
Re: 10 million starve in Ethiopia, but not Eritrea
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »
It just so happen last year Rotich pumped 11 billion shillings eurobond money into Galana scheme on top of what had been previously spent. So far almost 20 billions   has been spent on this project.

Offline jakoyo

• VIP
  • Superstar
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 07:41:20 PM »
If life was better in Eritrea, why are thousands drowning every year trying to cross Indian Ocean ?

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 09:22:15 PM »
Shocking ignorance. In the US or any developed country, you'll find people who cannot feed themselves, and so just like ethiopia, there are all sort of citizens who need all sort of gov services.

Ignorance of what?   Ethiopia's never-changing status in these matters is one of the very solid facts that most of the world is always aware of.

It doesn't matter where you are, there will always be people who are going hungry, for a whole variety of reasons.    But what country, even among the poorer ones, has most of its population continually starving and begging for food, decade after decade?

BTW, the issue is not that hungry Ethiopians ask their government for help.   It is that their government, instead of working on food security, persists with international begging.   There are some hungry people in other countries; how many of those government help by endless begging from other countries?

Gov job is to prioritize all the disparate needs and eventually come up with budget that cover stuff from space sciences to the basics.

Having skeletals,  on empty stomachs, worrying about space does not seem like a very bright idea.    They should first focus on the earth beneath their feet and how they can use it to live normally.

And what is more basic than food?

And there is no better measure of development than GDP

This the kind of thinking that keeps Ethiopia permanently hungry, and always with a hand stretched out,  even as they build fancy railway systems.   Here are some basic lessons for you:

(1) GDP alone is a meaningless figure, unless one also considers (a) the population that has to share that GDP and (b) the actual purchasing power of the money.   That is why people look at GNI Per Capita, Purchasing Power Parity.   That really ought to be basic, but Pundit is Pundit.

(2) Beyond that, it seems a matter of basic common sense that development should be  about people.  That is why the UNDP (which, D, knows something about these matters)  now has this:

Human Development Index (HDI)

The HDI was created to emphasize that people and their capabilities should be the ultimate criteria for assessing the development of a country, not economic growth alone.
http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/human-development-index-hdi

Ethiopia is currently no. 174 out of 188 in the world, so it looks like the humans there are not developing.    That is hardly surprising, given that they don't even have food to eat.

on that count alone, Ethiopia has been a star performer the last two decades

And yet they are starving, and the humans there are not developing.   I'd rather have a full stomach in a country with a lower GDP than go hungry while the GDP increased; I doubt that the starving Ethiopians feel any differently.   In fact, I'd be very angry if the GDP kept going up but I kept starving.
MOON Ki  is  Muli Otieno Otiende Njoroge arap Kiprotich
Your True Friend, Brother,  and  Compatriot.

Offline Kim Jong-Un's Pajama Pants

• Enigma
  • An oryctolagus cuniculus is feeding on my couch
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
They had a big one about 30 years ago.  USA for Africa released the album We are the World towards the cause. 

I tend to think, Ethiopians have admirable levels of discipline, by African standards.  There is like 100 million of them, and I suspect 80 million live off the land.  When shit hits the fan, the government has no option but to appeal for emergency food aid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35038878
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

• Enigma
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
MOON Ki,

Sudanese have Gezira irrigation scheme that they invested in way back.  I have never heard of famine in those parts, except during the war, which is easy to explain.  Would Ethiopians benefit from something like that?

Another problem I think affects more than just Ethiopia is the disconnected nature of African entities.  Both internally and externally with neighboring countries.  Food can be plenty in one country while the neighbors are starving.
"I freed a thousand slaves.  I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:49 PM »
They had a big one about 30 years ago.  USA for Africa released the album We are the World towards the cause. 

I tend to think, Ethiopians have admirable levels of discipline, by African standards.  There is like 100 million of them, and I suspect 80 million live off the land.  When shit hits the fan, the government has no option but to appeal for emergency food aid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35038878

If you look at the annual figures, Ethiopians are perpetually begging for food.    It is not always a "big one" every year or a sudden emergency.

Here's one from 2003:
In 2003, 13 million Ethiopians required exceptional food assistance just to survive. Despite 30 years of food aid, the country?s food security has steadily worsened, and relief food aid has become an institutionalised response.

From 2006:
Like a patient addicted to pain killers, Ethiopia seems hooked on aid. 

For most of the past three decades, it has survived on millions tonnes of donated food and millions of dollars in cash.  Even in good years, some 5m people need food aid just to survive.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4671690.stm

This one is from 2009:
The Ethiopian government has asked the international community for emergency food aid for 6.2 million people.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8319741.stm

From 2011:
(Down from 5.2 million in 2010)
http://foreignpolicyblogs.com/2011/02/22/ethiopia-in-need-of-emergency-food-aid/

And regardless of whether it's a big one or not, emergency or not, food keeps flowing in.  (Take a look at figures for other years.)  Otherwise the "big ones" would be even worse.

The USA alone  is continually pumping food into the place.   The figures for the last 5 years (MT=Metric Tonnes):

Fiscal Year 2015 $109.9 million 158,500 MT
Fiscal Year 2014 $218.1 million 271,120 MT
Fiscal Year 2013 $235.7 million 274,770 MT
Fiscal Year 2012 $306.6 million 365,400 MT
Fiscal Year 2011 $313.3 million 371,599 MT
(2015 figures have since changed: the figure above is up to June; from beginning of summer, the USA has now put in close to $240 million, with more to come.)

The EU too seems to endlessly pump in food.  (Meanwhile, especially in relation to ICC matters, the Ethiopian Prime Minister  has been a leader in hurling insults at the "neo-colonial, imperialist" West!.)

Increasingly the question being asked is this: What exactly has  Ethiopia been doing to ensure its food security?   Is there a sustainable solution somewhere in the works?

Rains will sometimes fail.  Droughts will sometimes occur.   The issue is how one prepares for them, especially in a place where they happen on a "regular" basis. How is it that quite a few other countries lease huge chunks of Ethiopian land to grow food for their own people while Ethiopians continue to starve?    (Some of those countries have even given Ethiopia food aid!)

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 02:31:55 AM »
MOON Ki,

Sudanese have Gezira irrigation scheme that they invested in way back.  I have never heard of famine in those parts, except during the war, which is easy to explain.  Would Ethiopians benefit from something like that?

Foreigners are doing it on their (Ethiopians') land, so I don't see why not.   Saudis have leased a huge chunk of land to grow rice.   That requires quite a bit of water, for which there are local rivers.   My guess is that Ethiopians need irrigation, stockpiling,  ... , and changes in many attitudes and policies.   

On attitudes: One of the things I have in mind the view that "famine is a process, not an event"; it just doesn't happen because rains have failed or whatever.   The other part is about paying attention to warnings and acting:

There have been warnings, of one sort or another, about the current "big one" since last year, with numbers of the starving steadily growing from 2 million to today's 10 million; and the latest numbers I have seen forecast around 15-16 million next year, unless there is a huge intervention.  The general policy of the Ethiopian government has always been "denial before alacrity".   Here is an Ethiopian writing, in the "World Hunger" pages,  about the "small one" of 2009:

(November 25, 2009) It is hard to talk about Ethiopia these days in non-apocalyptic terms. Millions of Ethiopians are facing their old enemy again for the third time in nearly forty years. The black horseman of famine is stalking that ancient land. A year ago, Meles Zenawi's regime denied there was any famine. Only 'minor problems' of spot shortages of food which will 'be soon brought under control', it said dismissively.
http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/09/editorials/mariam.htm

Like Pundit, Zenawi too was focused on the "great economic development":
Zenawi's regime has been downplaying and double-talking the famine situation. It is too embarrassed to admit the astronomical number of people facing starvation in a country which, by the regime's own accounts, is bursting at the seams from runaway economic development.

Other interesting comments from the article:
Penny Lawrence, Oxfam's international director, observed after her recent visit to Ethiopia: 'Drought does not need to mean hunger and destitution. If communities have irrigation for crops, grain stores, and wells to harvest rains then they can survive despite what the elements throw at them.'  ... Why has the regime not been able to build an adequate system of irrigation for crops, grain storages and wells to harvest rains?

And the current (2015) one?   
After denying the problem for weeks; the government finally admitted to it but only to claim that it has enough food stock to tackle the problem. However, journalists on the ground has reported the government's grain reserve has run out long ago. According to Barrie Came, WFP representative, the food supply by the UN is also not enough to curb the problem.
http://www.madote.com/2015/08/the-cause-of-ethiopias-recurrent-famine.html
(The Ethiopian Deputy Prime Minister's first choice was a Nyayo approach: those talking about a possible famine are foreigners, with an "agenda", and their local lackeys.)

On policies:  Among others, I have pointed out things that some have already noted as downright bizarre:
Africa is up for sale by the acre to the highest bidder. But how can rice exports from Ethiopia to Saudi Arabia be justified?
In 2009 Saudi Arabia received its first shipment of rice produced on land it had acquired in Ethiopia while at the same time the World Food Programme was feeding 5 million Ethiopians.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/africa-is-up-for-sale-by-the-acre-to-the-highest-bidder/5381630

You write that:

Another problem I think affects more than just Ethiopia is the disconnected nature of African entities.  Both internally and externally with neighboring countries.  Food can be plenty in one country while the neighbors are starving.

This is an interesting point.   I don't know if you have been following the WTO Talkfest in Nairobi.   There are still quite a few African countries---Kenya now leading them---still indulging in foolish hopes and arguing for the USA, EU, etc. to reduce their farm subsidies so that Africans can export more to them.    That, of course, is never going to happen.

But I have been intrigued with this idea of Africans fighting to export (to rich countries) their food when Africans themselves are badly in need of food.   But there's more that that.  It appears that:

- In the 1960s Africa was a net exporter of food; by the 2000s, it had become a net importer.
- For every $1 Africa gets from food exports, it spends $2 on food imports.
- The 2015 Global Food Security Index is now out.    I think you can guess who makes up the bottom pile.

If I were a policy maker in an African government, I know what all that would tell me.  And what is being imported is even more telling: "basic foodstuffs such as dairy products, edible oils and fats, meat and meat products, sugar and especially cereals".   

I have also (now and then) paid attention to the Climate Change conference?    "Climate change" might be real or a fantasy, but, if real, who's going to be hit the hardest?

• Enigma
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 03:53:19 AM »
Obviously my knowledge of Ethiopia was a bit sketchy.  Apart from the 1984 famine, I had assumed that mass starvation was a thing of the past.  Hopefully they get through this one unscathed and learn from it.

If I am not crossing my fingers, it would still be interesting to hear what the AU has to say on the matter.

Harriet Tubman

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma

Offline MOON Ki

• Enigma
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »
If I am not crossing my fingers, it would still be interesting to hear what the AU has to say on the matter.

The AU?  That really is funny!   I doubt that it cares about such things, and when it seems to, the results are far from memorable.   Here's what happened in 2011:

African governments have pledged $46m for the crisis in the Horn of Africa amid warnings that the emergency stretches far beyond hunger to encompass health, security and livelihood.

The pledges came at a poorly attended summit meeting in Addis Ababa, the Ethiopian capital, with only four heads of stateThree African countries provided nearly half of the pledges
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2011/aug/25/african-union-summit-funds-somalia

(Red: How many missed the Extraordinary Summit (ICC) for Uhuru?)

After that, the next thing we heard from the AU was an "urgent plea" for "donor countries"---and we know who they are---to speed up their "assistance".

And in 2015?: The AU itself has its own "donor-assistance" issues.   A few months ago, the AU 2016 budget was approved.  It's for about $420 million, of which:

- 40% is to come from the African countries
- 60% is to come from the "donors"

But note that 2015 is not yet over, and it too had an "interesting" division on the budget.   And, as usual, some of the folks responsible for the smaller part of the pie "forgot" to pay.   So at the very same time that insults were targeting all sorts of neo-colonialists types, the AU Council authorized one of its committees to spare no efforts in "urgently" getting their "development partners" to come up with some more money so that AU programmes could make it to the end of this year. (After that, they marched to The Hague and declared that Africa is a serious place---independent, sovereign, and equal countries---and is not to be f**ked with.)

Offline RV Pundit

• Enigma
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 01:26:11 PM »
Sounds all easy when you're sitting on some armchair! Kenya will always have food insecure places esp along northern kenya due to FREQUENCY of droughts there. There is not much the gov can do..that donors have not done. The amount of dollars invested say in Northern Kenya to deal with food security is enormous but the people there will remain hopeless...because there is really nothing on the ground...until they discover oil or gold or something underneath.....there is not much gok can do....except feed those folks everytime (which is nearly annual) they get hit by drought.I suspect the same is true for Ethiopia. They have 10M needing food aid...in a country of 80-90M...and those 10M folks are likely living in remote barren places.

Saudis and whole of middle east were equally hopeless until 1950 discovery of oil there.